• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GPS issues after rooting

Hey all,

Is anyone else having issues with GPS after rooting? I have tried both Gingervillian and Insertcoin, and seem to be having issues with GPS on both? ANyone else having this issue or know of a cause/solution?

Thanks all!

rooting would have no effect on gps itself as all it does is flashes recovery and enables superuser in the rom
the system image is completely replaced when flashing a different rom

flash an RUU and see if its still broken, if it is send it back to htc

Upvote 0
Did it start when you rooted or when you flashed custom ROMs? Seems a bit of a coincidence, though those do happen.

If it only happened when you changed ROMs, have you tried restoring to a nandroid of your original (rooted) ROM? And have you flashed anything else, especially radios or RILs?

It happened the first time I flashed Gingervillian (was working with the stock ROM), then tried flashing Insertcoin, and still not working? :(

Upvote 0
Do you know what Radio you flashed? Might give that a try..

Anyone know if 5.17.05.08 is safe for the Desire? (I assume it is..)

i flashed .17 but it is different for different people, i tried .08 and didn't have much luck with that so then went with .17 which worked fine, whereas as others on MIUI were using .08 and had it working fine.

You may want to wait for Hadron, rasta etc to reply, they know far more than me about android. Although what i have said is what worked for me

Reactions: lowkey69ac
Upvote 0
Do you know what Radio you flashed? Might give that a try..

Anyone know if 5.17.05.08 is safe for the Desire? (I assume it is..)
It's what I'm using. But GPS not working with 3 different ROMs sounds fishy to me. Did you take a nandroid if your original ROM before flashing? If so, restore to that and check GPS with it - that would ensure it isn't hardware. RUU, as Rasta says, would really make sure, but this should be enough.

Going offline for 30 mins it so...

Upvote 0
Ok, first question: what radio are you using? In principle any radio with _5. in the number should be ok, so it is odd if one is incompatible with 3 roms (all GB though). So I would try your old ROM first, as that is risk free. But a radio may be the answer.

Flashing radios is ok if approached carefully. First thing is to check the download is ok, i.e. check the md5. Some of the radios in the dropbox thread have md5 codes supplied, and I think these are now available for radios from the xda radio thread. Personally I'd check after copied to your SD card (AFV or ManD5 from the market).

Then you flash like a normal zip. It flashes quickly, then installs when you reboot. You must not interrupt this! So don't do this with a low battery, and don't pull the battery if you think something is wrong. It will reboot by itself a couple of times, so this is normal and does not mean you are in a bootloop.

That's all there us to it really. I've done this many times, but it shouldn't be done on a whim as a bad radio flash is likely to be fatal for the device. As always it's at your own risk. That's why I'd be tempted to spend a few mins checking the original ROM (or even a basic froyo) to check it is software first. But assuming it is, this is the best bet at a fix.

Upvote 0
Flashed back to the orignial rom, GPS works fine. Flashed to Gingervillan and Insertcoin (just to try an AOSP and Sense rom) and GPS didnt work on either. I have heard from a few others having the same issue, and one of my buddies here flashed his with Gingervillian and gps wouldnt work, then he went back to stock ROM and it worked. Sounds like a rom issue to me. I also tried flashing my radio to latest, but same issue :(

Upvote 0
This is the ONE thing I cant stand about the android phones (One and ONLY thing..lol). We ALL have an HTC desire, yet there are like 20 "versions" of this phone out there. If only they could regulate it so all of them have to have the same hardware, radio, etc it would alleviate a lot of issue. (Im sure there is a reason for them to do it.. just wish there wasnt..lol)

Upvote 0
OK, so hardware is good - that's the best news.

As you say, some others have reported GPS problems with GV2.5 (though many have not), but it's odd it happening with more than one ROM (especially one AOSP and one Sense - quite different).

For AOSP you could try GV2.3 or 2.4 - you can find these at xda.richardtrip.org/ginger. Or CM7 is quite similar (GV is based on it) - I'm using CM7 light (link in sig), after using GV from about 0.4 to 2.4, and finding it has the GV features that I actually use in a smaller footprint. Or Redux is another deservedly popular AOSP ROM.

Reactions: lowkey69ac
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones