• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

grey signal bars, with no sim card

mikecho

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
i have a question, my s2 is showing grey signal bars but there isn't a sim card in the phone. what does this mean? is the phone send/receinving signal even though there is no sim card? if so can your phone still be tracked that way? dont want to sound paranoid, but its wierd

It can vary with different android phones, and I don't have experience with your particular device, but I would say that's normal. Typically, all four or five signal bars are always visible in a dull grey, and then your actual signal level is drawn on top of that in white or a bright colour. For example, you can see the difference in bar colours here, where WiFi is a strong signal but the mobile signal is weak.

Although I'm unsure as to what you mean by the phone being tracked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones