• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Grouper] 4.4 KitKat OTA from JWR66Y

Googles updates are flashable via recovery if rooted and on the stock ROM

You'll lose root though and it'll put the stock recovery back on the device

Thank you for the link, jhawkkw!

My experiences with this OTA:
Starting out from de-rooted Stock JWR66Y (no mods, nothing custom, removed SuperSU)

Attempt 1 & 2:
Using TWRP 2.6.3.0 and 2.6.3.1 gave both "/system/app/Hangouts.apk" has unexpected contents.

Attempt 3:
Stock recovery flashed back, then used adb sideload Failed with the same message

Attempt 4:
update flash the jwr66y zip (from the factory image zip, without using -w) gave a strange error on the system part, so I erased system and tried again (no errors), then went into (stock) recovery and sideloaded again.
This time: WIN!

Afterwards I flashed TWRP (2.6.3.0) back, made a nandroid backup, then flashed the SuperSU zip (1.69). Sadly SuperSU keeps stopping on me. :o

That is weird, I flashed the SuperSU 1.65 zip and updated the app via the play store and then let the app update the binary and had no issue.

That is weird, I flashed the SuperSU 1.65 zip and updated the app via the play store and then let the app update the binary and had no issue.

Tried that, strangely enough SuperSU didn't show up with the 1.65 zip. Still did the Google Play install, then was asked to update and ended up with the same.

I guess it's time for a factory reset... :mad:

A factory reset (through TWRP to keep /data/media), then flashing the 1.65 and updating afterwards did the trick.

It makes me wonder which app might have caused it. At least everything is working as it should now.

A factory reset (through TWRP to keep /data/media), then flashing the 1.65 and updating afterwards did the trick.

It makes me wonder which app might have caused it. At least everything is working as it should now.

That's good to hear. Let me know if you have the same issue I do where the keyboard gets brought up whenever you hit home to leave an app.

That's good to hear. Let me know if you have the same issue I do where the keyboard gets brought up whenever you hit home to leave an app.

No keyboard popping up here. I've tried several apps now.

The only thing I did notice is the lack of traffic showing in the WiFi icon in the statusbar, it does show in the pull-down panel.

Sideload failed for me when I flashed back to stock using the JWR66Y factory image (I was unrooted and using stock recovery as a result)

Here's the onscreen output:

Code:
Finding update package. . .
Opening update package. . .
Verifying update package. . .
Installing update. . .
Verifying current system. . .
"/system/framework/telephony-common.odex" has unexpected contents.
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

My MD5 sum: 67bdfd703a76735053ca644164878fad

Alright, so it's claiming that one of your framework system apps has been altered. Did you attempt the Google Framework clearance trick at all or freeze and system apps?

Alright, so it's claiming that one of your framework system apps has been altered. Did you attempt the Google Framework clearance trick at all or freeze and system apps?

This is completely stock, unrooted, with the JWR66Y factory image. I haven't altered anything! :confused:

Try performing a factory reset from within recovery, reboot, and then try to sideload again.

I actually found the JWR66V factory image on an external drive and flashed it then am sideloading the updates (JWR66V -> JWR66Y -> KRT16O)

That didn't do it, trying your way

Alright, let me know how that goes. I know I always had trouble with the JWR66Y image that when I restored to stock I used the JWR66V and took the ota itself before sideloading the KRT16O update

The factory image is out for 4.4 though, so why not just use that?

developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

The factory image is out for 4.4 though, so why not just use that?

developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Because it wasn't there the last time I checked that site (about 2.5 hours ago)

And it's a 404

Also, jhawk's way didn't succeed either

I'm trying to update the 4.3 version of CM with TRWP to KRT16O using NRT and it failed when it found the wrong version of bootloader. Same thing when I tried JWR66Y. (I'm using the full images.)

They keep expecting bootloader 4.23, but find 4.18.

Looks like JDQ39 is going to work. :D

Back
Top Bottom