• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Grouper] 4.4 KitKat OTA from JWR66Y

I second that you should flash stock recovery before installing an OTA update.

Always make sure you have proper backups before applying any update.. You never know what can possibly go wrong and better to be safe than sorry.

Cloud storage space providers are a dime a dozen these days, there is no excuse for lost data!

Use a program like Titanium backup (root required) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en

OR

Helium (no root required when used with a computer) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

Both apps have premium features to upload your important data to cloud providers, the basic versions allow you to export your important data to a sdcard to safely store on your computer or other device.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Okay, you posted this in the 1st generation nexus 7 forum so I sideloaded (flashed) it and now have a softbricked Nexus 7, thanks! :(

There are far too many variables anyone can cover in a single post, never mind a complete guide, that can ever compensate for the end user responsibility of ensuring their own device is ready and meets all the qualifications for an upgrade.

Lets talk about finding where you may have gone wrong and possible solutions from here.

Upvote 0
I'm just reporting that this left me with a soft brick and wondering if anyone has successfully flashed it?
Sorry if I seem short, Ive already used ADB and flashed stock 4.3 (JWR66Y).

It would help if you provided the exact build, root status, and any other mods you may have installed on your base system along with the exact method and recovery you used to flash the upgrade when you had the issue.

It goes a long way when reporting issues.

Upvote 0
Ok fine, stock 4.3 JWR66Y rooted, stock recovery. sideloaded via ADB the "adb sideload" command in the "fastboot/apply update from ADB" menu option. So now can anyone answer my question which is Has anyone successfully flashed this onto their Gen1 Nexus7?

I'm finally home, so I'm going to give it a go. I'll report my results in about 10-15 minutes.

Upvote 0
Ok fine, stock 4.3 JWR66Y rooted, stock recovery. sideloaded via ADB the "adb sideload" command in the "fastboot/apply update from ADB" menu option. So now can anyone answer my question which is Has anyone successfully flashed this onto their Gen1 Nexus7?

No one is twisting your arm, its just handy to have instead of a single post of "it trashed my device".

Upvote 0
After some adb driver issues, I can confirm that the update installed successfully using the adb sideload method.

aryquje3.jpg

Reactions: dautley
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones