• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS3 Case discussion thread

Funk,

I never ride without a helmet. And I have already replaced the helmet with the exact same model :).

I got dinged up pretty good Scratches on the leg, a little Trail Rash on the shoulder (where the S3 was) and a couple aches and pains. I got my bell rung for sure :). I will be out there again this week :) Gotta get right back on the horse :)

Although I have to say it is slower recovery now that I am nearly 44 :).

They also have the different color outer shells for the Superleggra, The Blue and Red look really nice too. I just prefer black.

Upvote 0
On my third dual layer case now.

The newest: Trident Aegis, as good as the commuter I had but the buttons are very nice to press.

Very nice protection and fit. A great case for someone looking for a commuter case but without the slippery effect and hard buttons.

So that makes Ballistic sg maxx, Otterbox commuter, and now the aegis.

Ive tried the otterbox comuter and the incipio sylicrilic. I think the best one is the acase dual layer. it was the cheapest as well
Amazon.com: Acase Samsung Galaxy S3 Case - Superleggera PRO Dual Layer Protection (Black/Black) (Fits AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon): Electronics

The otterbox i had all the standard complaints. The incipio, the sides of the silicon portion seemed to "FloppY" for me. the acase, the shell portion comes up very high and all around the phone holding the silicon tight to the phone which i liked the best.

Upvote 0
Ive tried the otterbox comuter and the incipio sylicrilic. I think the best one is the acase dual layer. it was the cheapest as well
Amazon.com: Acase Samsung Galaxy S3 Case - Superleggera PRO Dual Layer Protection (Black/Black) (Fits AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon): Electronics

The otterbox i had all the standard complaints. The incipio, the sides of the silicon portion seemed to "FloppY" for me. the acase, the shell portion comes up very high and all around the phone holding the silicon tight to the phone which i liked the best.

This is the same conclusion that I had drawn about this case. I actually spent a lot of time looking for a dual layer that came up the sides further due to the Silicrylic.

Upvote 0
These threads get a bit hard to navigate. I will put a cover on my phone, some protection for the phone overall and the screen is a must to me.

I was surprised to find how much I liked the blue color in person - for it's slightly purple tone, the slight sparkle, the more metal look. However, it seems after browsing here a bit that there are just rants for the Samsung cases? That's the only way I can see to keep the unique color/finidh; get a truly matching case. I'm browsing but have yet to see a case that really preserves the look of the blue?

I think this case thread helped me choose a phone color, because maybe I just want the white ... white, silver edge will go with any darn case (in any color) I choose. (PS - So grateful for this thread, so many great cases to check out! Some of these I would never have found on my own.)

Upvote 0
I know it

Attachments

• 20120807_113717.jpg
    20120807_113717.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0
I have finally found a truly clear case. No frost or anything. Purely clear all the way through.

Clear Clear TPU Gel Case for Samsung Galaxy S III S3 i9300 Phone Clear TPU Case | eBay
I have that case. In person, it doesn't look quite as clear as it looks in the pictures, but it's still relatively clear.

Feels like it's made well and would protect the phone very well. It gave a decent feel to the phone and could easily slip in and out of pockets.

I also have the Samsung OEM slim case and this TPU case was just a bit too thick for my liking, so it's just in the drawer and I'll use it once in a while if I feel I need the extra protection for the day. I don't have any other TPU cases to compare to, so this might be about the same bulk as any other TPU case you are used to.

The other problem is that the area by the micro usb could have been cut a little more. When I plug in the usb cable, I have to push it with a little force to get it all the way in. I also found that if I moved the phone around while the USB was plugged in, sometimes it would come loose and would stop charging. The plug wouldn't fall out totally, but wasn't in far enough.

I probably could have dealt with that if the extra bulk didn't bother me.

The seller shipped mine very quickly.

Upvote 0
I have that case. In person, it doesn't look quite as clear as it looks in the pictures, but it's still relatively clear.

Feels like it's made well and would protect the phone very well. It gave a decent feel to the phone and could easily slip in and out of pockets.

I also have the Samsung OEM slim case and this TPU case was just a bit too thick for my liking, so it's just in the drawer and I'll use it once in a while if I feel I need the extra protection for the day. I don't have any other TPU cases to compare to, so this might be about the same bulk as any other TPU case you are used to.

The other problem is that the area by the micro usb could have been cut a little more. When I plug in the usb cable, I have to push it with a little force to get it all the way in. I also found that if I moved the phone around while the USB was plugged in, sometimes it would come loose and would stop charging. The plug wouldn't fall out totally, but wasn't in far enough.

I probably could have dealt with that if the extra bulk didn't bother me.

The seller shipped mine very quickly.

At first I had problems with the USB cable falling out and the cut outs not lining up. After having the case on a few days, the case seems to fitted itself to my phone. So now I have no problems with it. For me I really like the fact the case is thin and I can see the carrier branding and Galaxy S III on the back. I also like the fact that you can tell my phone is the Blue GS3. The case does stick to the phone a little on the back and it shows through. But a little baby powder in the case fixed that. I was thinking about getting the Samsung OEM case until I found this one.

Upvote 0
the seller is away or i would have bought it already... thank you for the find :D
I just had to share that one because I have been looking all over for a clear case. I almost gave up when I went to the next page and found it. lol. Then when I saw it I still was not sure it was real. I had to ask the seller. He replied right away. Also this seller has 100% positive feedback. So I am happy.

Upvote 0
there's a shop here in bangkok that does custom hand made films for just about anything. my old macbook pro was wrapped in cevlar film before, it lasted for many years until now. my macbook air now is wrapped with a matte transparent film for over a year now. so i brought my S3 yesterday and did it too. its a great scratch protection, just don't drop it. :D

img3777s.jpg
img3775z.jpg
img3776r.jpg
img3774j.jpg

Omg this is awesome all the skins I've found online have ugly seems where can this be done?

Upvote 0
I just wanted to make sure you don't have the same problem removing yours as I did. Fortunately my wife had more patience than I did and somehow managed to get it off the phone without damaging the phone.

I haven't bothered to modify mine yet. If you have any success let me/us know what you did. I'll give it a try. I think just filing down one or two of the little quarter inch long nibs that snap into the slots will probably do the trick. I'm just afraid that if I try it and it's not successful I'll have to cuss loudly and nearly damage the phone again getting it off. And if I file off too much it won't stay on the phone properly and it'll be useless. Fortunately I have a box full of other cases that slip on and off easily. Though I doubt any protect the phone quite as well at that case.

Benny

Well, my case finally came, and after quite a bit of modification, it works well enough.

I started out by filing the tabs themselves down, but quickly realized the length was not the problem. Each tab has a ridge running across it, and that is the real issue. That ridge grabs onto a groove on the back half of the case once it's on the phone. The ridges are just to deep. I wound up using the blade of my scissors to shave the ridge on each tab down. The result is a case that fits tightly, but comes apart much easier.

Now, after all that work, I've decided not to use it. :rolleyes: I just don't like the hard plastic rubbing against my lovely blue phone. Seems to be to much risk of scratching. Guess I have to decide between an otterbox and a ballistic.

Reactions: bennybbc
Upvote 0
Omg this is awesome all the skins I've found online have ugly seems where can this be done?

hi, it's just in a mall in bangkok, thailand. its not pre-sized or pre-formed. they actually stick the cevlar or tranparent laminate on your phone or laptops or anything. then they cut it meticulously by hand. its actually amazing watching them do it.

Upvote 0
Well, my case finally came, and after quite a bit of modification, it works well enough.

I started out by filing the tabs themselves down, but quickly realized the length was not the problem. Each tab has a ridge running across it, and that is the real issue. That ridge grabs onto a groove on the back half of the case once it's on the phone. The ridges are just to deep. I wound up using the blade of my scissors to shave the ridge on each tab down. The result is a case that fits tightly, but comes apart much easier.

Now, after all that work, I've decided not to use it. :rolleyes: I just don't like the hard plastic rubbing against my lovely blue phone. Seems to be to much risk of scratching. Guess I have to decide between an otterbox and a ballistic.

Thanks for the info on that. I might give the filing a try to see if it works better for me. I thought about the possibility of the hard inner case scratching the phone too. I'm not sure that it won't but it seems to be on there so tightly that I doubt that there would be much, if any movement between the phone and the case to cause scratches. Just make sure there's no dust or grit between the two. That being said, I'm not sure if it's worth it considering how much effort has to be put into the case just to use it and it is probably one of the thickest, most bulky cases you can buy for the SGS3. When it's on the phone it does make the whole thing look extremely tough and rugged though. I like that...Sometimes.

As I've said before, I have a lot of cases to choose from so I can afford to be pretty picky. If a case doesn't feel right, look right, slip on or off easily enough or possibly doesn't protect well enough I can easily switch to one of the other dozen+ cases that I have.

Benny

Upvote 0
Benny, I mostly dislike the posts you do, they are a bit to sarcastic for my taste, if you dont mind me saying (even though I laughed big time with your transcription of your daugther answers!), but this post was very good and thank you for it. Very good mini-reviews. I like the fact that none of your cases are expensive, so cheers mate!

I

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones