• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GSM] How to install a custom rom with (s-on)?

i am noob here, so i need a little help.

after reading many guides and watching videos, i rooted my htc evo 3d gsm using htcdev method.
flashed clockworldmod recovery v 5.0.2.0
installed supersu v1.30

now my phone is unlocked with s-on
i did a nandroid backup
tried to install a custom rom by wipping all 3 datas
installed this rom
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2161968

but nothing happened.
i m still running the stock rom.

I found these instructions but couldnt understand them
Code:
- Extract boot.img from zip and put into your folden when you have fastboot.
- Put rom into sd
- Full wipe from recovery
- Flash rom
- Flash boot.img with an erase cache before and after boot flash

can anyone help me plz
thanx in advance

Because you are s-on you have to flash the kernel separately (boot.img). There are a couple ways around that. I would highly suggest using 4ext recovery. You can get it at 4ext.net

It has a feature called smart flash that will allow you to flash roms easier while being s-on.

The other option is to boot your recovery through fastboot: fastboot boot recovery.img

That will also allow you to flash the rom without flashing the boot.img separately.

I'll try to simplify what the developer's instructions say:
Put the downloaded rom.zip on your pc. Browse its contents and find the file called boot.img

Place boot.img on your pc in the folder that contains adb and fastboot. The same folder that you put your recovery.img and unlock token in when you rooted.

Put the rom on your sd card

Boot into recovery. Wipe everything. System, data, cache, all of it full wipe. Not the sd card though :p

Flash the rom.

Wipe the cache/dalvik cache

Now exit Recovery back to the bootloader. Select fastboot. Plug the phone into the pc. It should say fastboot usb in red letters.

Open command Window to your fastboot directory like when you rooted. Type this: fastboot flash boot boot.img

Then go to recovery one more time. Wipe Cache again.

Boot up normally and enjoy the new rom

By using 4ext recovery with smart flash enabled, all you would have to do is put the rom on your sd card, boot into recovery, wipe all and flash.

4ext is really the recovery of choice for our device. CWM has been known to cause issues with our phone. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones