• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE]How to update HTC Wildfire S/Marvel/A510e/GSM to Software Version 2.3.5

but htc guys says tht the phone is out of warranty and they wud charge me for the further repair..
please help guys.. what do i do..? suggest sumthng..

From what I gather with what these two are saying to you, it sounds as if you need to go to HTC and PAY for them to fix your phone. It seems as if you've killed your phone, and nothing they can do/say will help you fix it.

Upvote 0
Is there a possibility that the battery is too low? Will it take a charge (does the orange LED come on)?

If it's not the battery, then I'm afraid it's hard bricked. :( HTC or your carrier should honor the warranty since the fault happened during the install of a stock HTC update with no indication of an install error until the reboot. You did nothing wrong. Sorry about that.

This is known to happen occasionally when flashing a stock ROM. The odd thing is that flashing a stock ROM has potential to hard brick a phone whereas flashing a custom ROM via CMW Recovery usually only soft bricks the device, go figure.

Upvote 0
I've been checking this and the root tutorial. Both very informative and detailed. I am wondering if there's a safer way to solve my problem though...

I bought a wildfire from HK, seems to have the mainland system on it. Cannot register a google account(market and sync cannot be used). I want to try and change to this Europe version. Does it support Chinese interface/fonts/writing. Will it affect my ability to all using a Chinese SIM, in China? Will a system update straight from HTC Sync from a computer not in China do the trick, or will it recognize the Chinese system I have and update a new Chinese one, with all the restrictions?

Please advise.

Upvote 0
Is it OK to try this procedure if the phone is already on 2.3.5?

I say this because even though my phone received an OTA update to 2.3.5 a couple of weeks ago, the rest of the software has not been updated.

When I try the HTC unlock bootloader method I get the message:

'Your ROM version is not the latest version. Please upgrade to 2.14.161.1 to apply this RUU to be able to unlock the bootloader', but when I go to software updates on my phone and check for updates it tells me my phone's software is up to date.

So it seems I've got to get the update from somewhere, but since the phone is already on 2.3.5 does this make it more risky?

Wildfire S 'Marvel'
PG7610000
HBoot is 1.89.0099
Android Version 2.3.5
Software number: 2.26.161.1
Kernel version 2.6.35.10
Build number 2.26.161.1

Upvote 0
I've been checking this and the root tutorial. Both very informative and detailed. I am wondering if there's a safer way to solve my problem though...

I bought a wildfire from HK, seems to have the mainland system on it. Cannot register a google account(market and sync cannot be used). I want to try and change to this Europe version. Does it support Chinese interface/fonts/writing. Will it affect my ability to all using a Chinese SIM, in China? Will a system update straight from HTC Sync from a computer not in China do the trick, or will it recognize the Chinese system I have and update a new Chinese one, with all the restrictions?

Please advise.
I don't think the European ROM is going to fully support Chinese so I wouldn't do this update. All you need to do is install Google Apps on your current ROM:
[ripped] google apps for cm7.2 port - xda-developers

In order to flash Google apps you will have to unlock the bootloader, root and install ClockworkMod Recovery first:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html

But you should skip step 2.

If you have any further questions, please start a new thread as this one is about updating the software, not about installing Google apps.

Reactions: Giller
Upvote 0
Is it OK to try this procedure if the phone is already on 2.3.5?

I say this because even though my phone received an OTA update to 2.3.5 a couple of weeks ago, the rest of the software has not been updated.

When I try the HTC unlock bootloader method I get the message:

'Your ROM version is not the latest version. Please upgrade to 2.14.161.1 to apply this RUU to be able to unlock the bootloader', but when I go to software updates on my phone and check for updates it tells me my phone's software is up to date.

So it seems I've got to get the update from somewhere, but since the phone is already on 2.3.5 does this make it more risky?

Wildfire S 'Marvel'
PG7610000
HBoot is 1.89.0099
Android Version 2.3.5
Software number: 2.26.161.1
Kernel version 2.6.35.10
Build number 2.26.161.1
You shouldn't need to update the software or bootloader further to unlock and root the device. Try going back to the rooting guide and running step 3B. If you run into trouble, post on the thread for that guide.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: slimchance
Upvote 0
[ROM][HTC][WILDFIRE S A510e][EUROPE][2.3.5][PG76IMG.ZIP]

I managed to update to 2.3.5 with this zip however as I didn't notice at the time of installation that it was a 2.13.401.2 not 2.13.401.3. As a result I can't root my phone with the further steps in your root guide. HTC EU requires 2.13.401.3. When I tried to install it, it said Main Version is older! Update Fail!. I went back a step and tried to install it with the temp from the filefactory version and it said the same thing, Main Version is older! Update Fail!.

What should I do now? Downgrade to 2.3.3 then upgrade it to 2.3.5 2.13.401.3.?

Upvote 0
[ROM][HTC][WILDFIRE S A510e][EUROPE][2.3.5][PG76IMG.ZIP]

I managed to update to 2.3.5 with this zip however as I didn't notice at the time of installation that it was a 2.13.401.2 not 2.13.401.3. As a result I can't root my phone with the further steps in your root guide. HTC EU requires 2.13.401.3. When I tried to install it, it said Main Version is older! Update Fail!. I went back a step and tried to install it with the temp from the filefactory version and it said the same thing, Main Version is older! Update Fail!.

What should I do now? Downgrade to 2.3.3 then upgrade it to 2.3.5 2.13.401.3.?
Try and unlock the bootloader. It should work even though it gives you the error. That's because you have an even newer version than what's required.

edit: Oh sorry, I didn't see your reply after... Forget that then...
What error do you get when you try to get the token?

Reactions: LaterLabz
Upvote 0
Try and unlock the bootloader. It should work even though it gives you the error. That's because you have an even newer version than what's required.

edit: Oh sorry, I didn't see your reply after... Forget that then...
What error do you get when you try to get the token?

Thank you for your concern but my phone is now rooted. It was long process since I had updated to the wrong HTC EU version. This involved me using zergRush and changing the version history to that of HTC Asia India. That allowed me to upgrade my Bootloader. I then had to update again with HTC Asia WWE so that I could obtain my identifier token.

It was a bit confusing and took all day but I got it done. Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
hey, I am a new member. i have HTC wildfire S 2.3.3 , 1.35.707.4. I followed this guide and When i reached (Procedure 2: Flashing the ROM from the SD Card ) my device is nothing display.

I run RUU_Marvel_S_HTC_Europe_2.13.401.3_Radio_47.23c.35.3037_7.54.39.28M_
release_236989_signed_2.exe,
And find rom.zip(about 150mb) in temp folder and rename it to
PG76IMG.zip .
Then moved this PG76IMG.zip to my goldcard sd. Power Off my device and
Enter to Hboot . And then I followed update process. After reboot my device
is display grey screen 1 seconds and every 3 seconds appear.
Lost Everthing.(HTC logo , Entering Hboot )
Now I don't know what to do . :(
Any Advice ? :thinking:
Sorry for my english . . .

Upvote 0
So iam new in these forums.
And i have been reading all of the reply's to this Thread. And believe it is very hard for a Noob like me to understand all this Computer Language i mean it is so hard. :/
So i thought have you made a video of this? i mean Can you please make a video so that people like me can easily do whatever is required to do to Update Our phones! :/ i Have a Htc Wildfire S A510b (Branded: Telstra) Its imported from australia and i have been waititng for the update for a time and it never appears!
Please make a video of all the Procedures And post it here or on Youtube and Give Us the Link Thank you! :)

I would be highly obliged if you do it for Us "NOOBS" :D

Sunil Lala

Upvote 0
Shah, you should be fine flashing the boot and system images for the A510e but you should not attempt to flash the radio as the frequencies for the A510b are different. (I don't think you even can flash the radio). Use the search feature of the forum and look for A510b because I remember some folks doing this about a year ago and it worked, but I don't remember clearly.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones