• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [guide] unlock with htcdev

I'm at the step where you type "fastboot devices" in the CMD prompt. I'm stumped because every other step up to that works fine, but then its like the connection between the phone and PC get cut off even though its plugged in. I do not have anything running on the pc aside from firefox to see the guide.

so,is this where you are stuck?

1)prepair ADB
-unzip your mini-adb.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC(sorry, you mac guys will need to develop this for yourself,i dont have a mac). root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "mini-adb_devicename" since youll be putting some device specific files in here. (directions from here forward will assume this folder to be named "mini-adb_vigor",as an example)
-open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
-change to your mini-adb_vigor directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\mini-adb_vigor

your command promt should change to "c:mini-adb_vigor>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb zip 2)put the folder on your c drive 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("mini-adb_vigor" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in settings/apps/development,and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
-make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

2)unlock using htcdev
-go to HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and sign in to your account. chose your device from the "select your device bar"(or "other supported devices" if its not listed) and click the green "begin unlock bootloader" button underneath.
-click yes to procede,then read the warnings before checking the boxes and clicking yes to continue,as they are basically explaining that your warranty is now void,and any repairs that your phone needs that may have been a result of unlocking your bootloader and messing with your phones operating system may no longer be covered under mfgr warranty

*check your hboot screen. if you allready have an htc compatible hboot, then skip ahead to the next step,you dont need this.if you have a pink **locked** at the top of the hboot screen,then it is compatible with htcdev. if you dont have a compatible hboot,then download the RUU for the new hboot. right click it,and run as administrator. plug in your phone when prompted to. it will ugrade your hboot to the htcdev unlock compatible version.

-steps 1-4 are describing how to get your phone into bootloader mode and connect it to your PC,wich we have done above. ignore these steps and simply type in your cmd window:

adb reboot bootloader

it may take several seconds,but this command should boot your phone into the "fastboot" screen wich is white with a bunch of colored writing. once this happens,make sure your phone is still being seen in fastboot. type:

fastboot devices <-no seriual number after this command?

if so,you maY BE having a driver issue. try installing the revolutionary drivers linked in the OP again,if you have allready. you can try updating them manually by finding the phone in fastboto mode with device manager,then manually pointing the wizard to the unzipped driver file.

failing that,make sure nothign is running on the PC that can comunicate with the phone. htc sync,pda net,easy tether,itunes,etc. temporarily uninstall or disable.

try different usb cables and ports. sometimes a reboot of the phone and/or pc will help.

Yup, exactly there is where the problem lies. I tried everything else aside from installing the drivers again so I will give that a shot. Although I'm curious why it would recognize the phone no problem in the steps above that, but not when I type "fastboot devices".

Yup, exactly there is where the problem lies. I tried everything else aside from installing the drivers again so I will give that a shot. Although I'm curious why it would recognize the phone no problem in the steps above that, but not when I type "fastboot devices".

you are in the fastboot screen,correct? wite screen,colored letters,and it should say fastboot usb
underneath the bootloader version and baseband.

Yes, I am indeed on the fastboot screen, but heres the weird part. It doesnt say fastboot usb like it should, it just says fastboot. Now if I use the volume key and move up or down a selection, it changes to fastboot usb. Why would that be?

Yes, I am indeed on the fastboot screen, but heres the weird part. It doesnt say fastboot usb like it should, it just says fastboot. Now if I use the volume key and move up or down a selection, it changes to fastboot usb. Why would that be?

no idea. mine never changes. have you tried entering the command when it says fastboot usb?

the only reasons i can think of it wont work are:
1)issue with drivers
2)something running on the PC
3)bad usb cable
4)phone not in fastboot
5)phone not plugged in (:eek:)
6)fastboot utility corrupted? you could try redownloading miniadb

sometimes when things look 100% correct and still wont work,the only way folks have success is to use a different PC(suggests to me something running that they cannot find). wish i could be of more help,but theres really not much that can be wrong...

you can start at the beginning,and copy paste the contents of the cmd window. you can also provide a pic or screen shot of your miniadb folder. one of those 2 things may provide a clue.

So I made sure everything was closed on the pc, used a different usb cable, reinstalled the drivers, and redownloaded adb. I tried all those already, aside from the driver reinstall, because that's the last thing I did last night and then went to get some ZZZs. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

He scotty, good news. I reinstalled the drivers and it worked just fine. Now a quick question, since it's been a while since my last ROM install. So now that the new amor ra recovery is on, what do I need to do to flash Viper Rom on it?

So now there's a new problem apparently. I was going to just flash the ROM, but it wont let me get into recovery. The amon ra recovery is flashed on the phone and that all went well. But now when I try to access the recovery, when I click it, it goes to the HTC splash screen, then goes black, then again the htc splash screen and then just boots the phone up normaly. Any ideas?

So now there's a new problem apparently. I was going to just flash the ROM, but it wont let me get into recovery. The amon ra recovery is flashed on the phone and that all went well. But now when I try to access the recovery, when I click it, it goes to the HTC splash screen, then goes black, then again the htc splash screen and then just boots the phone up normaly. Any ideas?

If you used amon ra,you have not used a sensation compatible recovery. Hopefully you have not damaged your phones filesystem beyond repair :eek: use clockwork,from the original post,and reflash the recovery using that.

Could you point me to the CWM post? I can't seem to find it for the sensation.

post number one of this thread. where did you get your files if not from the first post here? :confused:

here is clockwork for the sensation:
PG58IMGcw5.0.2.0.zip

edit:
you actually may want to use ext 4 recovery,instead,its a much nicer,touch recovery:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5712bh4n482a24n

this is what i use on my sensation(and any phone its compatible with). i prolly will change that link in the OP

Ok Im just gonna use the regular CWM since I've used it before with no issues. Thanks much! Tomorrow I finally get to work on the phone since she's off work herself and always has the phone with her.

Success! Thanks a bunch for the help and guides Scotty, they really made a difference!
Her sensation is now running ViperS Rom 1.4.0 without a hitch so far, and its much much better than how it was on stock ICS. I didn't have these issues with my original EVO when I put a rom on that, so it's nice to know there's people who are willing to lend a hand. Thanks again.

Okay, so I'm having problems.

I managed to Unlock with HTCdev, successfully install Juopunutbear, and change my CID to 11111111, but when I install SuperSU it says, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

Additionally, I installed a rooted app and it's telling me my phone is not rooted.

What's the deal? Am I missing something?

Okay, so I'm having problems.

I managed to Unlock with HTCdev, successfully install Juopunutbear, and change my CID to 11111111, but when I install SuperSU it says, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

Additionally, I installed a rooted app and it's telling me my phone is not rooted.

What's the deal? Am I missing something?

sounds like all you did was install superuser from the market. you need to download the superSU.zip file,and flash that in recovery :)

Yes but how did I install it in Recovery? The only options in recovery are:
BOOTLOADER
REBOOT
REBOOT BOOLOADER
POWER DOWN

if you have the jpbear hboot installed,you need to follow steps 2 and 3 of the guide in the original post,to permantly install a recovery,and then flash the superuser file.

if you do not have the jpbear hboot,then installing the recovery will be slightly different,but step 3 will be the same.

if you have the jpbear hboot installed,you need to follow steps 2 and 3 of the guide in the original post,to permantly install a recovery,and then flash the superuser file.

if you do not have the jpbear hboot,then installing the recovery will be slightly different,but step 3 will be the same.

I did do the permanent recovery by flashing the recovery.img "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" which I extracted from PG58IMGcw5.0.2.0.zip.

Okay, so I got into recovery and then chose install from zip. But in the folder "CWM-SuperSU-v0.99" it says "No Files Found". But I know the files are in there. Any ideas?

I did do the permanent recovery by flashing the recovery.img "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" which I extracted from PG58IMGcw5.0.2.0.zip. Should I do it again?

By the way here's my info:

INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.27.1111
INFOversion-baseband: 11.23.3504.07_M2
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 1.24.401.1
INFOserialno: SXXXXXXXXXX
INFOimei: 3XXXXXXXXXXXX
INFOproduct: pyramid
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8260
INFOmodelid: PG5810000
INFOcidnum: 11111111
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4110mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: off
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 617f0a98
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0

if you have a recovery,you dont need to flash it again. your reply above seemed to indcate that you did not have a recovery,as the options you listed are those from the hboot screen.

you can select "recovery" from your hboot menu with the vol rocker and power button. use the recovery menus to flash supersu

so,to recap:
-download most current supersu from link in first post(v99 was the most recent i noticed)
-put the supersu file on your sd card
-boot to recovery
-wipe cache and dalvik
-flash supersu
-watch the phone screen for error messages.
-after the flash,reboot

enjoy root access :)

if you have a recovery,you dont need to flash it again. your reply above seemed to indcate that you did not have a recovery,as the options you listed are those from the hboot screen.

you can select "recovery" from your hboot menu with the vol rocker and power button. use the recovery menus to flash supersu

so,to recap:
-download most current supersu from link in first post(v99 was the most recent i noticed)
-put the supersu file on your sd card
-boot to recovery
-wipe cache and dalvik
-flash supersu
-watch the phone screen for error messages.
-after the flash,reboot

enjoy root access :)

Tried. Won't work. The SuperSU is on my sdcard. I booted to recovery. I wiped cache (I don't know what dalvik is) and then I tried to install v0.99 from sd card but it says "No Files Found".

Tried. Won't work. The SuperSU is on my sdcard. I booted to recovery. I wiped cache (I don't know what dalvik is) and then I tried to install v0.99 from sd card but it says "No Files Found".

it will work,ive done it many times ;)

make sure you havent accidentally extracted the zip file,and make sure you havent accidentally placed the file on your internal storage,instead of your sd card. :)

it will work,ive done it many times ;)

make sure you havent accidentally extracted the zip file,and make sure you havent accidentally placed the file on your internal storage,instead of your sd card. :)

Nope. Not extracted and it's on my sd card. However, on the SuperSU site it states: "ZIP does not work on all devices, needs fix."

EDIT: Re-downloaded and tried again. This time it worked. Weird. Thanks for all the help.

Just wanting to say thanks for this guide, other than a small hiccup (posted on XDA) where my phone for no apparent reason lost all network comms after using HTC dev, this was a very easy guide to follow

Back
Top Bottom