• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Heat from overclocking

Joehunni

Android Expert
May 27, 2010
Texas
Okay, so I've noticed several times that people are rooting and then don't wanna overclock their custom rom because they believe it causes the phone to get hot. I just wanna lay down some facts and observations of my own as I've actually only seen the opposite myself. Now I know that generally overclocking should generate more heat as you are pushing the processor harder than normal but they generally run cooler in my findings. If you are running a stock rom/kernel than I believe your CPU clock speed is set to scale between like 480mhz and 528mhz (max). On basically every overclocked rom/kernel combo I've run the CPU clock is set to scale between 245mhz (usually) and 691-710mhz. As you can see, the stock kernel may not scale up as high as an overclocked one but it also doesn't scale as low when it could be. I have used many roms and overclocked kernels and can honestly say that not only does my phone run cooler when overclocked but is also better on battery. I have verified all of this info through both System Panel and OS Monitor, both of which are available in the market. I'm sure there are skeptics who won't believe this but all I'm saying is you should try it out, if you don't like it you can just nandroid back. The only negative effect of overclocking I've ever seen is certain rom/kernel combos will pick up a slight lock screen lag when waking the phone up . More often then not, while overclocked, my CPU speed is under the stock CPU clock speed. I hope this helps some people in doubt as yes, heat is known to destroy processors but that heat does not come from simply overclocking, as some people claim.

Reactions: andygu3

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones