• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help me choose my smartphone: Galaxy S4 or LG G2?

Ben Smith

May 6, 2015
Hey guys,

I've narrowed my choice down to the LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9505)

I intend on using the phone to take photos, I am not an expert photographer, but I like to take photos when I go out, with friends, on holidays, etc etc, so I want a very solid camera. I also want a decently fast phone, I DO NOT play graphics-intense games, but as long as the phone doesn't lag with basic day-to-day operations, I'll be happy. I also don't want it to be TOO big, as long as it fits in my pocket nicely. I would like the screen to be good, but I'm not too fussed if it isn't the best screen of all time. It would be nice if the screen is relatively large without making the whole phone too big. I'm not a heavy user, so battery isn't too much of an issue for me, as long as battery will last a decent amount of time.
One other thing, I want my phone to last at least a couple of years.

Galaxy s4: I don't mind the saturated screen at all, in fact I kinda like it, I think the camera is good, but some people say it is really bad in low-light conditions (I dont intend on taking photos in dark alley ways, and flash should do the trick shouldn't it?). The major downside was people said that touchwiz is laggy, and the bloatware slows it down too much. What draws me to the GS4 is the nifty camera features, such as Eraser mode, beauty face, slow/fast motion, panorama, etc etc. however, this stuff may be a bit of a gimmick.... do all of these features also come on the LG G2??
LG G2:
I like this phone, but the buttons on the back seems wierd. Wouldn't you accidentally switch it off if its lying on your desk, and you press down a little (the button on the back of phone would cause issues?), also with the double-tap-to-turn-on: if it was in your pocket, would it accidentally turn on if it mistook your body for a finger tapping it? Also, is LG reliable? Will it last?

I intend to buy from eBay, is this a safe option? Will the phones work in Australia, even if it comes from overseas (obviously I'll get an unlocked version)?

Feel free to leave your opinions. Thanks so much in advance :)

Last edited:
I intend to buy from eBay, is this a safe option?

If you're buying from Ebay or anywhere that's second hand, there is a very real risk of blacklisting, which is something do you not want. If you can meet the seller at the carrier's store. The carrier can confirm change of ownership on the system, then there should be no way the seller can subsequently report it stolen and have it blacklisted, maybe because of insurance fraud. That also makes sure there's no outstanding contract attached to the phone as well, because contract default can also cause the carrier to blacklist the phone. And also proves it's actually his property to sell, and not stolen.

Will the phones work in Australia, even if it comes from overseas (obviously I'll get an unlocked version)?

Feel free to leave your opinions, even if you think I should get a phone other than the ones I mentioned, and vote in the poll if you wish. Thanks so much in advance :)

Should be no problem for Australia, international version phones should be OK. One's bought from China might be worth avoiding though, mainly because of no Google.

Reactions: Ben Smith
Upvote 0
Define "last for a couple of years". If you mean updates, then neither the S4 nor G2 will last more than another year. This is already getting past the 2nd year of the S4 and G2's support, and most phones don't get support 2 years after release. If you mean performance, either would do fine.

Laggy Touchwiz doesn't really mean anything when you can replace the launcher anytime you want.

Upvote 0
No,It's fits good in my pants pocket(Front blue jean pocket)Also fits in my tee shirt pocket too. And this is with the OtterBox on it.
Yes you can change Locks,Pass code,Pin,Pattern...
I've never had my phone come on in my pocket.
Never had the phone turn off or anything else while lying on its back.
I don't think so while watching say Youtube,The buttons are hidden.
Don't know,Never owned the Galaxy S4.

I'm very happy with my G2.

Reactions: Ben Smith
Upvote 0
No,It's fits good in my pants pocket(Front blue jean pocket)Also fits in my tee shirt pocket too. And this is with the OtterBox on it.
Yes you can change Locks,Pass code,Pin,Pattern...
I've never had my phone come on in my pocket.
Never had the phone turn off or anything else while lying on its back.
I don't think so while watching say Youtube,The buttons are hidden.
Don't know,Never owned the Galaxy S4.

I'm very happy with my G2.
Thak you so much mate, I genuinely appreciate your help :)

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
Depends. Both are pretty nice.

If you're choosing between used phones, I'd get the S4 for the user-replaceable battery alone. No telling what a previous owner did for two years.

If new, keep an eye on the built-in storage amount vs your needs. A 16 GB phone isn't the answer if you're into a lot or larger apps - but if you need more media storage, the sd card gives more flexibility on the S4.

I think that the S4 camera is technically better but the G2's shots are more vibrant, pleasing even if not technically correct.

Personally I'm a sucker for the LG screen - and the key word is personally. That's something that you decide with your eyes.

If possible, I'd say get into a store and hold both and trust your gut feeling.

I've never heard of anyone going wrong with that approach. If you're like a lot of us, you'll find yourself just drawn to one just holding, looking and playing with one.

As they're both great phones you won't go far wrong that way.

Upvote 0
On my Droid Turbo the proximity sensor nicely turns the screen off when I put it in my pocket.

The one thing I disliked was that the proximity sensor would also turn the screen off when I was making a call and holding the phone to my ear. IO solver this with a Tasker Profile ...

Profile: tlaProximity
State: Proximity Sensor
State: Not Call [ Type:Any Number:* ]

Enter: tlaProximity
A1: System Lock

It is likely that it will work on this phone also.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones