• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help!!! rooted/custom rom - wont go into recovery

VMuser

Here is my problem with an LG-Optimus V: Phone will not go into recovery mode.

When the recovery mode is started, it goes like this:

Android system recovery

Do not pull out the battery

Formatting DATA:...
Formatting CACHE:...
Factory reset...
Rebooting...

Then it reboots into Cyanogenmod normally.

I need to go into recovery to install a stock ROM, and activate the phone.

Here is how I got here:

My son rooted the phone and installed Cyanogenmod7 to test, then when it came time to activate the phone, he was somewhat haste and push factory reset.

I need a step by step instruction how to get the phone back to stock so I can activate this Christmas present. I am told that if I am able to get it into recovery the rest is easy, but if possible a step by step instruction (with all the right links to the right ROM/recovery) will be greatly appreciated.

Here are the details of the phone/OS

Model number LG-VM670
Android version 2.3.7
Mod version cyanogenmod-7.2.0-RC0-LG-VM670-BobZhome-12082011
Build number GWK7412082011
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-v3.4
CPU info ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l)

Than you in advance for your time!!

Ben:

Thank you for the reply...From your signature, It looks like you also have 3 optimus v phones.

I really need to be walked step-by-step on this one.

Most of the posts that I see are people stock on the recovery mode, in my instance, I cannot get into the recovery menu.

Thank you again.

This is an issue I don't have experience with but if you post in that section I'm positive one of the others with the factory reset issue experience will be able to walk you through it. More than likely it will be Andy. Have you tried holding power, select reboot from the pop up menu then select recovery. Let me know if that works.

@Ben - oops!
@VMuser I installed mine so long ago I no longer have the files, but a quick Google search turned up this. I did not upload this, and cannot vouch for it in any way. But the one Ben has offered is an excellent choice, proven time and again to work regardless of which OV you have.

Edit:: Following too many threads at once, sorry. Probably is the newer one.

The OP will need to go here for sure http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770
To the OP: this will link you to post # 22 in the thread. The same thread that benslgdroid linked you to. This is a post that will give all the info you need, and walk you through the ROM install. Treat the stock ROM as if it were a Froyo ROM in my instructions.
Get ES file explorer and make sure you have Busybox installed in either the /system/bin or the /system/xbin. brotherswing can help you set it up for root file exploring.
Follow the instructions for installing the su as well.

You will need the recovery that benslgdroid mentioned as it's the best for the gingerbread ROM's (I use it myself).
Make sure you make a backup of the current ROM in the recovery in the backup and restore section before trying to install the ROM.

You can also install Harmonia instead of the stock ROM as it has the activate app as well. You can install the Bumblebee ROM as well but you will need to use the Xionia recovery instead.

I am able to flash the recovery that Ben suggested, when reboot recovery is called, the phone reboots, then it the following appears on the screen:

Android system recovery
Do not pull out the battery
Formatting DATA...
Formatting CACHE...
Factory reset...
rebooting...

Then it boots up into Cyanogenmod 7

Cannot get into recovery....

Any suggestions?

You are in the stock recovery, a custom recovery will have 8-9 options.
You need to go to the thread I linked you to and make sure to install the flash_image.

Is there a way to flash the rom directly thru ADB?

I am being told that the ROM is corrupt, which the reason why we see what we are seeing on the 'recovery boot'

Andy:

I am flashing the recovery file that Ben suggested a couple of posts back... All indications say that it is flashing the right recovery.

Before getting to crazy, try to install the flash_image first.
in a terminal emulator when you type in su you should get a # when you hit the enter key. If not, your not rooted, it's not a corrupt ROM. They may have used ROMTools to install the ROM,which means your not rooted.

I'm a newbie, so a step by step will be needed here.

We got a terminal emulator on the phone, at the $ prompt, typed su (return) and now we have a #. What's next?

Ok, your definitely rooted. Go to my linked post and try to install the flash_image and the VM670NH recovery. Then let me know how it went. You might not have to use a PC just yet.

You have root. That's good. Your download of the ROM might have been bad. Do you know what md5 or checksum means?

For the record, I'm not trying to be insulting, just trying to determine what your level of technical prowess is.

Hi, I am VMuser's son.

These are the cliff notes of what has happened. I rooted this Optimus V with CM7 that wasn't being used about 3 weeks ago. After that, I then turned on the phone looking for the Activate app that comes on stock phones, but it wasn't there. On my rush to activate the phone, I needed the phone on stock so it could be activated it. Since i was rushed, i thought "Why not boot recovery and hit factory restore?" So that is exactly what i did. I booted recovery and hit factory restore. I then didn't clear the cache or data or anything else, or install another ROM. I wasn't thinking, so i figured if i restart the phone it will be stock because i factory restored it, and it came from the factory as stock, right? So i rebooted, and it booted to recovery, which was weird because i did not hold home/vol dwn/power, then it said this

"Clearing cache
Clearing data
Performing Factory reset
Rebooting"

Then it booted to normal.

Every time i boot recovery OR normal it does that. Even if i flash another recovery, it still does that. So what i figure is that something on the boot partition is telling the recovery to do a system restore, and so whatever recovery i boot it still does a factory restore. And since the recovery is inecesible, i can't reflash the ROM. So since i can't reflash the ROM, I can't undo the command to do a factory restore. So my computer is not in a boot loop, it is in a command loop. If anyone has had this problem before, please help.

Many thanks for reading that block of text :),
Please help fix my phone.

EDIT

From what i understand, the boot partition is telling the recovery partition to do a factory restore, but the recovery can't finish the factory restore because my phone isn't running stock. So it is in a constant loop...

Brother:

Not thinking of your questions as insulting...I have my son who is much more comfortable messing with these phone deals than me. So any/all help is greatly appreciated.

One thing i am currius about is why did factory restorying not simply restore my phone to a new CM7? I know not to go privacy/factory restore, but some forums i have read say that recovery/factory restore will be ok, so why is my phone semi-bricked?

2) Can I install a new ROM through the computer through ABD? This looks like the oonly way to fix my phone atm

3) Is my Boot partition messed up, My recovery, or system partition?

Last but not least, When i originaly installed the custom recovery, i made a backup. I now realize that i can use this to go back to stock. But can I restore this without recovery?

Thanks for the info. Do you have ADB established in your system path on your pc already? If not we need to do that first.
Make sure you have the recovery and ROM, and gapps on the root of the sd card.

You need to install the Xionia recovery. It has the ability to repair a boot loop, which is exactly what you have. After you get out of the loop, you need either the Bumblebee or Harmonia ROM. You can activate from those. Once you're done with that, you can either bask in the glory of those wonderful ROMs, or re-flash to CM7.

Back
Top Bottom