• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help!!! rooted/custom rom - wont go into recovery

I just got back and am personally at a lost as I factory reset through the recovery every time I flash or update a Rom
Also Rom tools is bad for this phone. If you were using that before this happened that could be part of your problem.

Ok, i found the backup i made when i first installed the custom recovery. It has a system.img, boot.img, and recovery.img... The three i needed

I took all of them, threw them onto the root of the sdcard, and typed

flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img
flash_image system /sdcard/system.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Which *should* have returned the phone to when i made the backup... Except...

I rebooted, and lo and behold, recovery, clearing cache, clearing data, factory reset, reboot.

Now i am back in CM7. I am starting to think i have a bricked phone... Could this be the first case of a bricked optimus V?

Any other suggestions?

And i have been using rom tools since i learned about it, man. 1... maybe 2 weeks? whats wrong with rom tools?

oy... I have been saying i can get into the phone, after going into recovery... Everything works as it should, IN CM7. But since i need to flash a stock, nothing, really, works as I want it to. If i can fix it from inside the phone itself, gimme all the suggestions you got. lol.

I've seen what your problem is go through mine before but that was the stock recovery and when I first rooted and flashed the new recovery and no more problem. Your not saying there are menu options just that it runs as if you already told it to. Which is odd since your changing the recovery. The only thing I can think of is to flash xionia recovery as it is completely different and might shock your system since the selection process is different.

Get xionia and harmonia from here http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/78956-rom-harmonia-1-6-1c-aphrodite-picasticks-21sept11.html then put both on your sd and if you do get into xionia clear your caches from there and flash harmonia.

ROMTools works great on 2.2.1 OS phones.
What doesn't work on 2.2.2 phones is SuperOneClick. No how, now way. When they use the Root option,instead of the Shell Root option then they really got a problem.
On the 2.2.2 with the Hitachi screen the recovery.img doesn't work but can be replaced with the Xionia v1.2518.6 or the VM670NH_recovery.img
If they come out with a SuperOneClick that works with the 2.2.2, then that could be swapped out as well.
ROMTools is a very flexible program.

I will try to flash xionia .4, that was actually the recovery that i had when this all started...

On a seperate note, last night, i was messing around on my sdcard, and found the backup i made when i first installed the recovery. I flashed the system, recovery, and boot, but it still made no difference. This leads me to believe that the phone has reverted to the normal recovery, but there is no way to get it out... Any other opinions?

Ok, i flashed Xionia, turned the phone off, then held vol dwn/home/lock, and it rebooted to clearing cache,claring data, factory reset, rebooting

The funny thing is, i just realized that the background in that recovery is different then Xionia. It looks like i am booting into stock recovery... Hmmm... Any more suggestions?

Your rooted or you wouldn't have gotten a # after typing in adb shell in a command prompt. You phone is reconized by adb.exe so you should have the proper LG drivers installed for your phone.
What OS version do you have 2.2.1 or 2.2.2? This is important. The bootloader was locked on the 2.2.2 and after a month most were shipped with the Hitachi screen and drivers. Your answer will give me an idea of what we can do,or not do.

VMUser, were you able to fix this issue?

Just in case someone else runs into this issue and finds this thread...

The solution is to reflash all the stock images from fastboot.

IF YOU ARE HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE AS OP, FOLLOW BELOW:

Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1090687

Download his nand backup.

Open up the file and pull out all the .img files.

Go into fastboot and enter the following:

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot reboot

The boot will continue to go directly back to recovery, at this point, do this

Go to http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

and download xionia's recovery.

adb reboot bootloader (to get back into fastboot)
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery xionia_cwma_12518.6.img (or whatever you named it)
fastboot reboot

Now you should see the stock recovery do a reset on data/cache and reboot. But this time it will boot up finally to the stock VM ROM. You won't have xionia's recovery, it'll be stock - I don't know why, but that's how it was for me. BUT THIS DOES FIX THE WHOLE ISSUE.

From here, you can flash CWM via fastboot ( you won't have root, so you can't adb shell, but you can still adb reboot bootloader with usb debugging mode on ).

Download the CWM for Optimus V here: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

Then once flashed, turn off the phone. Press Home + Vol down + Power till LG logo comes on then off, then release all buttons to get into CWM. Then you can flash any ROM you want w/o problems.

Took me like 6 hours to figure this out, as this issue that VMUser as well as I was having didn't seem common. You might be able to replace the stock recovery.img with xionia's on first step, I don't know - didn't try.

After reading all of this, and then seeing what wonshikee posted, i feel bad for VMuser that what wonshikee posted, wasn't posted sooner..

After reading all of this, and then seeing what wonshikee posted, i feel bad for VMuser that what wonshikee posted, was posted sooner..

It was very frustrating trying to fix this, then I stumbled upon this thread and my hope flared - only to get crushed when the thread ended w/o any solution.

Thus once I found the solution I figured I'd say another soul the trouble. :D

What do you do for those with the 2.2.2 phones that can't access the bootloader.

What do you do for those with the 2.2.2 phones that can't access the bootloader.

As long as you have ADB you can still do it. The basic idea is that you need everything reverted to stock, and let the stock recovery fix itself.

So what should work is ADB in, flash cwm recovery using flash_image, then do a nandroid restore (using the original link in my thread), then I would flash xionia recovery while still within CWM.

Back
Top Bottom