• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
i was trying to go back to stock and i was following this page to s-on when my phone would not turn on or go into the bootloader anymore. im really scared and i could seriously use some help guys

well... begin with the basic battery pull and charging and pressing the power button lots of times...

if that fails, do the following:
(im gonna assume you have some version of windows installed... not sure how to do this on mac)

1. plug in your device
2. open cmd
3. cd to your adb folder (for me its C:/sdk-tools)
HTML:
cd C:/sdk-tools
4. type in:
HTML:
adb devices
5. tell me what the output is so i can help you further...

Reactions: Sleepingsirens
Upvote 0
well... begin with the basic battery pull and charging and pressing the power button lots of times...

if that fails, do the following:
(im gonna assume you have some version of windows installed... not sure how to do this on mac)

1. plug in your device
2. open cmd
3. cd to your adb folder (for me its C:/sdk-tools)
HTML:
cd C:/sdk-tools
4. type in:
HTML:
adb devices
5. tell me what the output is so i can help you further...

i entered all that into the command prompt and it said list of devices attached but it didnt list any devices, it was just blank

Upvote 0
i was trying to go back to stock and i was following this page to s-on when my phone would not turn on or go into the bootloader anymore. im really scared and i could seriously use some help guys
Did you confirm that the RUU flash was successful and you had the stock bootloader (1.57) installed before issuing the "fastboot oem writesecureflag" command? That's pretty clearly stated in that post.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Did you confirm that the RUU flash was successful and you had the stock bootloader (1.57) installed before issuing the "fastboot oem writesecureflag" command? That's pretty clearly stated in that post.

ramjet73

thats exactly where i went wrong, i put in the writesecureflag command before even flashing the ruu. thats where the problem is

Upvote 0
thats exactly where i went wrong, i put in the writesecureflag command before even flashing the ruu. thats where the problem is
Yes, if you turn radio security on (S-ON) while a custom bootloader like ENG or JBear is installed it will definitely brick your phone.

You could probably recover it with the unbricking method in this thread but exchanging it with Virgin Mobile would be a lot easier.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Yes, if you turn radio security on (S-ON) while a custom bootloader like ENG or JBear is installed it will definitely brick your phone.

You could probably recover it with the unbricking method in this thread but exchanging it with Virgin Mobile would be a lot easier.

ramjet73

alright thanks alot guys, i really appreciate the help, im gonna try that guide and hope to god it works, if not i gotta exchange with VM and after that point i think my rooting/flashing days will be over. thanks alot guys, your the best

Upvote 0
alright thanks alot guys, i really appreciate the help, im gonna try that guide and hope to god it works, if not i gotta exchange with VM and after that point i think my rooting/flashing days will be over. thanks alot guys, your the best
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Here's a quote from the OP of that thread:

Note: This will fix only devices which were bricked by turning S ON. And bricks caused by a damaged hboot via interrupted OTA update/RUU flash on a S-ON device. Any devices bricked with other ways are currently *not* supported. We are working on it

So that means it should work for your situation.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
You can get that here.

ramjet73
okay ramjet this may be bit of a complicated question but here it goes:
im on step 9 of the guide and on that hex of hboot, instead of it being the normal hboot 1.40, my hex says its 1.04, which i believe i put on there a while ago to get jelly bean. it says to check if its the right version because "Check again it is the right version, because if you do a mistake here, you won't be able to go back" and that kinda scares me, so should i continue? or is something wrong

Upvote 0
okay ramjet this may be bit of a complicated question but here it goes:
im on step 9 of the guide and on that hex of hboot, instead of it being the normal hboot 1.40, my hex says its 1.04, which i believe i put on there a while ago to get jelly bean. it says to check if its the right version because "Check again it is the right version, because if you do a mistake here, you won't be able to go back" and that kinda scares me, so should i continue? or is something wrong
Well, 1.4 would be a stock signed hboot and you wouldn't have this problem if you had that flashed when you set S-ON as opposed to the ENG hboot. If the check in step 9 show the 1.04 version you are probably OK, but let me check the guide more carefully and I'll update this post.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Well, 1.4 would be a stock signed hboot and you wouldn't have this problem if you had that flashed when you set S-ON as opposed to the ENG hboot. If the check in step 9 show the 1.04 version you are probably OK, but let me check the guide more carefully and I'll update this post.

ramjet73
i followed step 13 and edited the v.vv to be 1.04 and the X to b (as it said earlier for me to be sdb) but when i entered it it gave me the following error: Cannot read image file shooter1.04.nb0

Upvote 0
i followed step 13 and edited the v.vv to be 1.04 and the X to b (as it said earlier for me to be sdb) but when i entered it it gave me the following error: Cannot read image file shooter1.04.nb0
I think you have to take the "hboot.img" file from the PG86IMG.zip for the ENG hboot and rename it to that, since the utility is looking to flash that file as the bootloader.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
I think you have to take the "hboot.img" file from the PG86IMG.zip for the ENG hboot and rename it to that, since the utility is looking to flash that file as the bootloader.

ramjet73
where can i find and do that? sorry im not really ubuntu savvy
[EDIT]: also i did the lesli ann hacks which changed the hboot, and i remember doing that with pg86img.zip file

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, but I think it would have to be in the same directory as the unbrick utility to be found.

ramjet73
i figured it out and got it to work, but when it was done and i put in my sd card and battery and powered it on i still got nothing. on the guide it said a successful flash should have this output:
511+1 records in 511+1 records out 1047808 bytes(1.0 MB) copied

however mine states this:
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 2.09357 s, 501 kB/s

Upvote 0
i figured it out and got it to work, but when it was done and i put in my sd card and battery and powered it on i still got nothing. on the guide it said a successful flash should have this output:
511+1 records in 511+1 records out 1047808 bytes(1.0 MB) copied

however mine states this:
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 2.09357 s, 501 kB/s
Did you try connecting it to Windows and flashing the RUU.exe? I thought it said to do that right after flashing the hboot (step 17).

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones