• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hold your horses, the Nexus line is here to stay

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Rumors of Google killing off its Nexus line in favor of an upcoming Android Silver program have been escalating in recent months. Guess nobody told Dave Burke, the guy in charge of the Nexus program and the head of Android engineering at Google. In an interview with ReadWrite, Burke finally laid to rest those ridiculous […]

More...

If true, this is great news. This just made my choice for the second half of the year a little more interesting. I do however want to see what's coming with android silver.

Project Tango.
Oh reminds me, has anyone studied the sdk for Tango stuff yet?
I really need to get a prediction right this time. That kitkat smashed to the head kinda hurt :(

Perhaps it was Google who started the rumour in the first place as a means of gauging audience reaction - a bit like alternative endings in films.

Whatever, they made the right choice :-)

Ahhh what a good choice for Google to make. A lot of people still have faith in the Nexus line and really enjoy the devices that have been produced from it.

Great news!

The question is, what will they name the next phone after the Nexus 6 since there is already a tablet named Nexus 7?

Great news!

The question is, what will they name the next phone after the Nexus 6 since there is already a tablet named Nexus 7?

I don't see that being an issue.

For the past 2 years they've been basing screen the naming scheme across the nexus brand on the screen size. So it'll likely still be the nexus 5 2014, or the nexus 5 2015, or the nexus 6 for a 6" screen ect.

The nexus 4 wasn't exactly a 4" screen, but that's been an exception rather than a rule. I think nexus phones will fall in line with their tablet counterparts for naming starting with the 5

Its an easy way to avoid the problem, and it greatly simplifies the nexus brand naming. You'd know a nexus 5 is a phone, a nexus 7, 8 or 10 is tablet, ect

So with the nexus 6 is out and nexus 7 is already a device where does google now name wise??

I believe that Google didn't anticipate the nexus line to be as popular as it has become... Should have named the tablet line something else... Be interesting to see......

I don't see there being a problem. The last several nexus devices have been named by screen size, and not by sequential order.

Nexus 4 ( 4.7" / 2012), Nexus 5 (4.95" / 2013), Nexus 6 (5.96" / 2014), Nexus 7 (7" / 2012), Nexus 7 (7" / 2013), Nexus 9 (8.9" / 2014), Nexus 10 (10.05" / 2012).

We will likely have either a Nexus 5 (2015), or a Nexus 6 (2015), depending on the form factor Google chooses to go with.

Last edited:
We will likely have either a Nexus 5 (2015), or a Nexus 6 (2015), depending on the form factor Google chooses to go with.

Please let it be a Nexus 5 (2015). I'm getting the itch to upgrade from my N4 but have less-than-no interest in the overly-large N6.

Edit: By the way, I went ahead and merged this discussion into an existing one since they covered a lot of the same information theories. :D

Last edited:
I hear ya there. Only reason I was able to get it is because I bought the N5 off contract, allowing me to use an upgrade for the N6. It just happened to work out the year the nexus was expensive I had an upgrade available.

Yeah 6inch is just too big man.
I'd love to see Huawei build the next nexus. Show the world what China can do :thumbsupdroid:

Back
Top Bottom