• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I know if my Android phone uses 2D (only using front facing camera) or 3D face unlock?

varamilc

How do I know if my Android phone uses 2D (only using front facing camera) or 3D face unlock (using special and specific hardware instead of only the front camera)?

the only phone that i can find with 3d face unlock is the samsung galaxy s10+ 5g....mainly becuase it is the only phone with the ToF camera in the front. my note 10+5g has the ToF camera in the back so it cannot be used as a 3D facial unlocking mechanism. it can be unlocked, but it is only 2d which is why i do not use it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s10-5g-finally-has-3d-face-unlock-iphones

Last edited:
Actually the Pixel 4 series had front ToF sensors for face id about 6 months before the s20.

But the simplest test is probably to look at the front of the phone: if there's nothing but a single camera there it cannot do 3D (if there are two cameras or other sensors it might be capable of 3D, but most phones with such hardware still only do 2D).

Is this still the G7 Play that you were asking similar questions about a few months ago? If so I'm pretty certain that the answer will be no.

Back
Top Bottom