• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I turn off HD for Chromecast?

indreams

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
I just started using Chromecast today and I wanted to know if there is a way I can turn off HD quality for Netflix videos? The device I use for Chromecast and Netflix apps is my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I cannot find an option on either app to disable HD. When I start a Netflix video through Chromecast onto my HDTV it says HD next to the title of the video. I know this must be the opposite of what most people want, but is there anyway I can turn off the HD quality? Thanks.

I know OP is long gone, but I'm looking for the answer too. This question still shows up in Google searches, so maybe someone with an answer can chime in. I want to force SD quality too because my internet is *almost* fast enough to stream HD, so Chromecast Ultra tries to run in HD mode, but the picture constantly switches between clear HD and some awful pixellated version. Makes me want to go back to using my old non-ultra Chromecast. Maybe the development team can offer a firmware upgrade to allow forcing SD quality?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones