• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you turn off the screen?

wodin

Oct 26, 2009
Sandwich Isles
Th manual says that the red button can be used to "turn the device on or off, end a call, or turn off the LCD"

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't see any options for tuning off the LCD!

I really hate sticking my phone in my pocket with the home screen active. You never know who your going to call.

It sounds like you're having the same problem that I was having (the red button does not lock the phone).

So here's my experience with this issue: the red button worked to lock the phone for the first two days I had it. Then it didn't work for a few days afterwards. And then it started working again. I haven't installed a bunch of apps ( just the "advanced taskkiller", "connectbot", "andFTP", and "a online radio", and none of these apps are always running in the background... ), so I don't think this issue is related to anything I'm running.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

If so, it would be nice to resolve whether this is a hardware or software issue. I suppose you might be able to isolate the issue by first performing a soft reset, seeing if it corrects anything, and then trying a hard reset. If either of these resets fixes the problem, then it would most likely be a software problem...

Upvote 0
i did, to fix it i went into settings then "sd card and phone storage" did a "factory data reset" (to clear all the apps) and installed all the ones i needed one by one, apparently one of the apps i had was screwing it up, can't really remember which one since when i first got the phone i downloaded a bunch of apps. Now my phone works perfect except the whole wanting android 2.0 on my hot amoled screen.

Upvote 0
just do the reformat to be sure it's a software prob, unless you actually paid for an app. Not really sure how they do all the paid for ones since I've only downloaded free ones, but after that the "red" talk button would turn the screen off "lock the phone" and would also "unlock the phone." TBH i downloaded way too many apps to remember prolly the chris tucker soundboard app :D

Upvote 0
just do the reformat to be sure it's a software prob, unless you actually paid for an app. Not really sure how they do all the paid for ones since I've only downloaded free ones, but after that the "red" talk button would turn the screen off "lock the phone" and would also "unlock the phone." TBH i downloaded way too many apps to remember prolly the chris tucker soundboard app :D
Market remembers all your downloads. And lets you know if there's an update.

Upvote 0
yep I am having the same problem. No way to lock my screen. The red button does nothing.
I havent even installed any apps yet and the phone has this problem. I did change my wall paper though. So I have no idea how to fix it. Would rather not reformat my phone. Is that the only way?
Is there an app that will do the job? I have been looking but havent found one that works.

OK I HAVE AN UPDATE!
I changed the phone setting. to have the phone sleep in 15 seconds rather then 30 and now magically the red button works for sleep mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones