• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Often Do You Reboot Your Desire?

Unless the phone requires a reboot (software update/unresponsive screen etc) it should NEVER need rebooting, irrespective of being rooted or not.

You dont save any battery by switching it off, it could actually use more battery by being constantly powered down and powered up. It COULD also cause havoc with the battery management program - IF the phone is constantly switched OFF the battery management might start to read this as the battery operating at a reduced charge state (i.e defective/in bad condition) and it MIGHT re-program it's settings to produce a lower battery health %. :eek:

In the tests I have done the battery drain is negligible in % terms when it is NOT being used, i.e overnight (unless you have an errant/vampire app) so any reported gains by turning off would be wiped out by battery power used by the reboot procedure.

IF the phone is lagging/stuttering you have an app that is behaving badly and needs to be tracked down and removed! ;)

Upvote 0
I switch off and charge every night. Should I just leave it on then. over night is still the most convenient time to charge though. IS it ok leaving it charging all night?
Yes it's ok to leave it on charge because all Li-Ion battery packs have a dedicated charging circuit and on-board microchip that monitors voltage, current, battery temp, etc., and shuts off the current flow when the battery is fully charged. You CAN'T hurt it by leaving it connected to the charger overnight...it'll charge till it's at 100% then shut off the juice.

And since Li-Ion batteries prefer to be topped up rather than run down, charging every night will not hurt either. Even if the phone was barely used and has a good charge, topping it up won't hurt it at all. It's all good.
:)

Upvote 0
I switch off and charge every night. Should I just leave it on then. over night is still the most convenient time to charge though. IS it ok leaving it charging all night?

Just be aware that when the phone is on and the battery is fully charged and the power is cut off, your phone will use battery as it would normaly without it being plugged in to the charger. Happened to me once, woke up after a full overnight charge and battery was 93% - turns out it had stopped charging at about 3am!

Upvote 0
Just be aware that when the phone is on and the battery is fully charged and the power is cut off, your phone will use battery as it would normaly without it being plugged in to the charger. Happened to me once, woke up after a full overnight charge and battery was 93% - turns out it had stopped charging at about 3am!

shouldn't the charger kick back in?

Upvote 0
shouldn't the charger kick back in?

No, it cuts off to protect the phone and battery and you would need to reconnect the charger for it to start charging again.

Personally, I don't find this a problem. I used to charge overnight when I first got my phone, but now I have a charger at work which I use whenever I'm not using the phone, and another changer at home that I use in the evening. Overnight the battery only drops by about 10-15%, and after the evening charge it's normally well over 80% at bedtime.

Upvote 0
No, it cuts off to protect the phone and battery and you would need to reconnect the charger for it to start charging again.
Actually that's incorrect. Li-Ion charging circuits are designed to cut off the charge when the battery is fully charged, but after that it monitors the charge level and if the battery drops below 90%, it will run a lower output top up charge to bring it back to 100% (similar to a trickle charge). But unless you're using something that drains the battery heavily during the night, there is no reason for it to top up again. During the night my Desire typically drops only 2% and the only thing I turn off is the GMail syncing so I don't hear notifications in the middle of the night. I have alarms setup to wake me, and all of my other settings like GPS, 3G, etc. are on 24/7.
Overnight the battery only drops by about 10-15%
:eek:
If your phone is dropping that much sitting idle overnight, you have a rogue app or something else draining the battery. Do you have WiFi and Bluetooth running all night too?

Upvote 0
As at now, my Desire has been on for 14 days and 13 hours. Only very occasional lag, hardly noticeable. Still going strong.

Attachments

• HTC_Desire_on_for_349_hours.png
    HTC_Desire_on_for_349_hours.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0
Sorry to raise an old thread... But I just noticed my HTC Desire has an uptime of 1443:42:30 (60 days!).

It's rooted / debranded running Lee Droid V2.1 (Android 2.2).

Can't get much more stable than that! I've thought about trying some other ROMs etc. but the improvements they purport to offer don't seem worth the risk / hassle when I'm very happy with how it's performing now.

I use the phone for calls/ texts/ web browsing / ebook reading / gps+sat nav and games, so it's getting quite some use too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones