• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Install 2.1 and Root (for dummy's)

Once mounted I copied the V5zip folder to the folder on the computer that represents your phones SD card (same place where your phone pictures and music is stored).quote]

So all I have to do is just drag and drop teh V5zip into My SDcard folder? The one You can find on "My computer"? Basically just put it on the SD card and not into a folder or anything right? Gotta be sure...

Yes. Then when you are ready to install it, you go through the steps provided by the OP.
"
- b. Reboot into recovery - Turn Phone off. Then hold down: vol down + talk + end until the Recovery UI appears.

- c. Select Apply Update .zip from Menu

- d. Select joeykrim-SDX-a2.1-root-v5.zip

- e. Apply and Reboot"

Upvote 0
Don't unzip the downloaded ROM. Just put it in the binary folder.

If you have unzipped it then you need to re-download.

ok so i reDL'd the DD03 file, removed the CL14 and placed the DD03 into the Binary folder as DL'd, got it connected, but still get the ! message - SamsungPST - Cannot open bin file / - while using the SWupdate.

On my computer the saved DD03 file opens with WInZip is it supposed to open up with another program?

Upvote 0
Hey im new to the forum and just wanted to say thank you RAMISS! Im not a n00b but this was still the best thread i found for doing this upgrade!

Thank you!!! and i'll makes sure I hit up those banners on SDK, I just signed up for their site too!

Thanks again!

My advice for everyone just follow the instructions, read them 5 times if you have to before starting this upgrade.

Upvote 0
Question, do I really have to charge my battery until its 100% full? Or can I run the sprint updater at a slightly lower level than 100%? Say 80%? Just wanna know, cause it takes forever to get to full charge sometimes... (For someone impatiently wanting to update the phone lol)

I have never seen that warning, I doubt my phone was at 100%. The whole process only take like 2 minutes, I wouldn't worry about the battery unless you were under 40%. Your going to use a ton of battery playing with your new (it seems like new) phone.

Upvote 0
Question, do I really have to charge my battery until its 100% full? Or can I run the sprint updater at a slightly lower level than 100%? Say 80%? Just wanna know, cause it takes forever to get to full charge sometimes... (For someone impatiently wanting to update the phone lol)

My battery gauge was in the yellow when I did mine last night. When you have it plugged in with the USB it's going to get charged anyway.

Upvote 0
Got dangit! I followed the instructions almost exactly and it wouldnt work. When I get to the screen that says "Updating Do Not Disconnect!" and click on "Start Software Download", I get the message, "cannot open bin file!"

The only thing I forgot to do was uninstall old drivers and I am doing that now and will retry afterward. I hope this works... :(

Im also gonna re download that 2.1 dd03 file too cause when I checked the properties of it, it didnt say it was a .tar like the cl14 file did.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

Sorry for the confusion about unzipping or not unzipping. The original versions from the SDX site were not zipped.

Here are the rules:
- Any file you are placing into the Sprint Updater (DD03 and Recovery versions etc) should have a .tar extension. If your download is compressed then unzip the .tar file and use that.

- Any file you are placing on your SD Card for use with the Recovery "Apply Zip" method (Root v5 etc) must remain as a zip file.

I hope that clears it up for some.

I have updated the OP with this info.

Reactions: duratime
Upvote 0
Hey this is my 1st post (I think). I am new to customizing an Android phone, although I used to flash custom ROM's on my WinMo phones all the time. Well I finally decided to try out 2.1 using the method described here, after having the phone since November. It took several tries to finally get the Sprint Updater to work on my 64 bit Windows 7 laptop. But I finally got everything working, even the DD10 update. Thanks for the step by step for us "Dummies"...lol

Upvote 0
Ok, it worked the 3rd time I tryed! Yes!

Edit: Okay, I just installed Joeys recovery 2.1.3 but now when I try to flash the v5, it keeps aborting the instillation of v5. It can't find the file or something? What did I do wrong?

I put the zipped file on my SD card and its not in any folders. I keep hearing I'm supposed to put it in the root of the folder and was told that, that was the root? Whats going on?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones