• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOW TO: Live Wallpaper without Rooting

Zimlanfire THANK YOU SO MUCH. I did this tonight after work, was a little nervous but after reading how much everyone loved the results with their live wallpaper I had to try it too....I love my Plasma live wallpaper and can't wait for my fiancee to come home from work so I can fix up his phone also....listen to me....I sound like someone that just came home after plastic surgery!

Upvote 0
You guys are VERY welcome! :)

I was the same way -After reading through several "How To" posts on how to get that stuff to work, I was confused, upset, and frustrated. But after I finally figured it out and got it to work, I decided to type something up for everyone else that I saw having trouble too.

That post was getting buried, so I just created a new one so that everyone could find it easier.

Like I said though, FULL credit to the other posters. I just put THEIR advice together into one (hopefully) easy-to-follow set of instructions. I just posted step-by-step, EXACTLY what I did to get it to work on my phone.

Thanks for the praise and support guys! Rock on!

Upvote 0
I never understood why everyone was so upset about the 2.1 update not giving the Moment eye candy. Now I do! I love these live wallpapers on my Moment! I am so glad I decided to read this topic and then do the fix. Thank you do much for making this understandable and straight forward. I have the plasma live wall paper and it has made me love my phone even more. :p

Upvote 0
i got a replacement moment from sprint and the trackpad doesnt work at all.. so this is a issue because thats the only way there is to select the options in recovery mode. if anyone knows another way to get the live wallpapers or any custom zip on my phone other than using the recovery mode way please let me know because this really really sucks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great info, but I still cannot get the update.zip to go through...

this is what I see on my Moment after I click apply sdcard:update.zip

"# Manual Mode #
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update Package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted."

I have saved the Zip file onto my desktop then copied to the root of my SDCard. What is going on??? So frustrating! lol Help please?
This is EXACTLY what I am getting! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP :)

Upvote 0
This is EXACTLY what I am getting! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP :)

THE key to getting Live Wallpapers without rooting is REPLACING the 2.1 updater with the CL14 updater. If you skip that step, replacing the package (.tar file) won't matter because it won't work.

You also HAVE to use the new recovery updater. If you try to use the stock updater, it won't work.

Most of the time that people are having problems, they're skipping through some of the instructions etc. Each step is important and has a specific function to getting the Live's to work without rooting. :)

Upvote 0
THE key to getting Live Wallpapers without rooting is REPLACING the 2.1 updater with the CL14 updater. If you skip that step, replacing the package (.tar file) won't matter because it won't work.

You also HAVE to use the new recovery updater. If you try to use the stock updater, it won't work.

Most of the time that people are having problems, they're skipping through some of the instructions etc. Each step is important and has a specific function to getting the Live's to work without rooting. :)
Well, I can tell you i followed these instructions the exact way and I am still getting it.

Upvote 0

^^^
this x's 100000000000

must use the CL14 updater

Upvote 0
i got a replacement moment from sprint and the trackpad doesnt work at all.. so this is a issue because thats the only way there is to select the options in recovery mode.

If I remember correctly I used the volume up/down button to navigate up/down in recovery mode (but I could be wrong). I hate using the trackpad so I don't think I've ever used it for anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones