• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to move apps to sd card on an unrooted device: A noobs guide. **Updated 09/02/11**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us know. You just need to find the right drivers for your device to install on your PC. See post above yours.
h
Yes I saw the post above about 2.2 working. However the way the Atix is set up is that it moves apps to the internal SD partition currently. When you install apps that are movable the system (using internal file manager or Apps2SD) moves them to this internal SD. I was hoping someone would have tested the approach earlier in the thread for the Atrix already to see if it works.

Upvote 0
It should work the same way then, as when you move using android, you are moving it from location 1 (/data partition) to location 2 SD. All this trick does is change the install location to 2.

However, it depends on how much messing with the Android OS Moto has done. As this is in the desire forum, I doubt many Atrix users have done this, if any. Take some backups first and try it. Factory reset will cure any side effects.

Upvote 0
the http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20471345/SUroot/Tools/PC/sdktools-toolsonly.rar

that link is giving me a 404 error. Is there an alternative location to download it from?

Its an issue with how edited links work on this site. As it doesn't show the link code and only the link code, when I edited it, it changed the name of the link but the location is the same. If you hover the link, you'll see its not the same location.

Try to copy the link and paste it into the address bar instead.

Reactions: Dustaz
Upvote 0
You dont need to do any of that. All you need to do is below:

Just follow these exact steps. Nothing more, nothing less

1) download and install htc sync

2) download sdk and extract to C:\

• Double click the zip file once downloaded and drag the "android-sdk-windows" folder (contained within) to your C: drive
3) Connect your phone by USB

4) Open command prompt (in Windows)

• Go to Start > Run
  • Type "Cmd" and press OK

5) In the black window:

• Type "cd\android-sdk-windows\tools" and press enter (or platform-tools if you have adb in there)
  • Then Type "adb shell" and press enter
  • Then Type "pm setInstallLocation 2" and press enter

Just a reminder that this is ALL you need to do.

Upvote 0
Yes you have to move already installed apps. Rooting is the only true solution
Thanks. I just wanted to get some confirmation that this method would continue to install a portion of the app (including newly installed apps) in the internal memory which would still eventually run out. Just to clarify....can you confirm that this method will not install 100% of the app onto the SD card. I want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong which is allowing this to occur.

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have Samsung prevail with froyo. Having the same issue with low internal memory problem. I saw this same trick on YouTube and performed that without any problem (the setinstalllocation 2 thing). But even after that I am not able to move any extra app to SD than before. I had selected

Upvote 0
I am running 2.3.3 ( I believe, Gingerbread) and followed this procedure just was outlined in the OP. Everything worked fine but I did have an issue with a couple of apps not working after the procedure, (not going the SD card). But was no big thing so those that would not go, I left on the phone.

Overall I am very happy with this procedure and have all the apps on my SD card that will go. Improved my available space a lot.

Thanks...

Upvote 0
I have just updated my HTC Desire to Gingerbread from the HTC developer site. Before this I was running on froyo with a2sd+ (no custom rom, using the standard rom).

I wanted to know if there are any benefits of internal memory if I use a2sd+ on my Gingerbread?

The reason I ask is that I read somewhere that Gingerbread moves more of the app to SD than a2sd+ but it doesnt seem to be making all apps that were movable earlier to SD (like Facebook, Whatsapp, etc.)

Thanks in advance...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones