• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Root/Unroot HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Windows/Mac/Linux][One-Click] -- Partial root method

strider70

Feb 25, 2011
[Update]
Woops.
Seems this link was posted in
"Titanium Backup Problem" and "HTC Evo 4G LTE - All Things Root Guide"
[/Update]

"
How to Root/Unroot HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Windows/Mac/Linux][One-Click]"
How to Root/Unroot HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Windows/Mac/Linux][One-Click] - xda-developers

I didn't find this info in this subforum.
From the youtube vid, it seems to just give root only.

I haven't read the thread from the link yet.

If this info has been posted before, my apologies and remove this.
Thanks Mods.

I would post this info with it,

C&P from Granite:
EDIT:

I read through the some of the thread that DonB posted (thanks for the find Bro
;) ), and this script does in fact place the superuser file and Busybox on your phone in one shot. It does NOT give you S-OFF nor does it flash a custom recovery. So it's considered a soft root.

This will allow you to run root only apps from the stock rom. We still don't have the ability to make nandroids and such, but it can't be that far off. Be careful!!
:)

NOTE: THIS WILL GIVE YOUR HBOOT THE "TAMPERED" WATERMARK!!!!

It has been confirmed that the current RUU will remove the watermark, so make sure you have the RUU downloaded just in case.
;)

I agree, it's really early in the game and we're not sure there's even a custom recovery available yet. I "suggest" patience to give the devs time to get the processes ironed out.

Ultimately it's your phone, but it may be hard to find a fix if something goes wrong.

Upvote 0
Always avoid rom OTAs when rooted. Flashable equivalents from the dev community (usually at XDA) are offered from within hours to a day after the OTA comes out - update by flashing those instead.

I think we have a few other threads on wireless tether.

I hear this A LOT, but have never been given a solid reason why except for the whole "you will lose root". well, for me that isn't a big deal. Like the last poster stated, I like root ONLY for the wifi tether app. I couldn't care less about Roms/kernals/ or about S-OFF. I have done the rom thing with my OG Evo and thought it was cool, but quite frankly it wasn't worth the hassle for me. I was content with soft-root methods AND have occasionally accepted OTA's while soft rooted...And yes I lost root, but it didn't break my heart or destroy my evo like many people imply it will do.

It just seems to me that a lot of people that say "Don't except OTA" imply that doing so will turn your phones into a smoldering chunk of plastic and ash. Maybe I have been lucky, but so far the only thing that has happened accepting OTA when soft-rooted is that I lose root. Again, not big deal for me since I don't live and die by wifi-tether. It is just nice to have at times, but never a MUST HAVE.

So I ask...why does everyone get so dramatic when asked a question about accepting an ota update while soft-rooted assuming people don't care of losing root?

Again...As long as I accept the fact that I might lose root and have ZERO interest in ROMS/S-OFF/etc, why not accept an OTA update?

Upvote 0
I hear this A LOT, but have never been given a solid reason why except for the whole "you will lose root". well, for me that isn't a big deal. Like the last poster stated, I like root ONLY for the wifi tether app. I couldn't care less about Roms/kernals/ or about S-OFF. I have done the rom thing with my OG Evo and thought it was cool, but quite frankly it wasn't worth the hassle for me. I was content with soft-root methods AND have occasionally accepted OTA's while soft rooted...And yes I lost root, but it didn't break my heart or destroy my evo like many people imply it will do.

It just seems to me that a lot of people that say "Don't except OTA" imply that doing so will turn your phones into a smoldering chunk of plastic and ash. Maybe I have been lucky, but so far the only thing that has happened accepting OTA when soft-rooted is that I lose root. Again, not big deal for me since I don't live and die by wifi-tether. It is just nice to have at times, but never a MUST HAVE.

So I ask...why does everyone get so dramatic when asked a question about accepting an ota update while soft-rooted assuming people don't care of losing root?

Again...As long as I accept the fact that I might lose root and have ZERO interest in ROMS/S-OFF/etc, why not accept an OTA update?

We aim this response more so to users with a custom recovery. The Prime function of the stock recovery is to flash OTA updates. If you flash a custom recovery you've removed the devices ability to properly accept an ota. The best case scenerio is you get updated somehow and you don't loose root, I've seen it in a few rare cases with the OG evo. Worst case scenerio is the bootloader is updated to an unrootable version and the Rom gets borked, and you don't have a bootable phone. This scenerio essentially gives you a brick until you either get a copy of an RUU that will work, or the Bootloader gets unlocked without needing the phone to be booted up. Once the securities on the bootloader are turned on, you can't flash anything but official signed zips from it. These factors make it very difficult to get a phone in this condition bootable.

The other reason is that there are still folks out there that don't understand that accepting an OTA "can" remove your root. Everyone's a noob at one time, just trying to keep the new members informed. :)

I completely understand where you're comming from. If you're a "soft root" user, accepting an OTA won't be a big deal, as long as you've got the stock recovery and you're not concerned with loosing root privelages. :)

Upvote 0
I completely agree with and appreciate this answer.

I feel as a community we should educate newcomers as much as possible with as much information as possible. I dislike alarmist type replies without any explanation as to why they said it or half information. It only leads to paranoia in my opinion.

Besides, most people interested in soft-roots are in NO way running a custom recovery. And if they are, chances are they know about the whole 'OTA' dilemma.

I just wanted all 'soft-root' users to know that as long as they accept the fact that they will most likely lose root when accepting an OTA, that it is perfectly OK to do so.

Thank you for the reply.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I just wanted all 'soft-root' users to know that as long as they accept the fact that they will most likely lose root when accepting an OTA, that it is perfectly OK to do so.

The reason that I advocate going to full root with recovery and flashing your own updates is that we know from past experience that root techniques like this often exploit holes in the bootloader or /system to inject root.

If they fix the hole, then you can't re-root until a new exploit is found.

We've seen this often on other phone models. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones