• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root

So there is a recovery that works? I never had a Motion...

It's a 2nd-init recovery, meaning it is NOT permanently installed. It is ran temporarily and cannot be accessed with a key combo if you get stuck in a bootloop. ROMs cannot have a custom kernel. If you do it will brick. Themed stock ROMs will work, CM10 might be possible with a stock kernel.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..my wife would not leave me alone til these damn things got rooted bc she HAS to have emoji's on her GD phone. I just rooted both our phones and mine went flawless we had to do hers twice (not sure why i made sure all apps were off and whatnot) and i would like to donate but i dont have paypal or a visa is there another way i can donate?

Upvote 0
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..my wife would not leave me alone til these damn things got rooted bc she HAS to have emoji's on her GD phone. I just rooted both our phones and mine went flawless we had to do hers twice (not sure why i made sure all apps were off and whatnot) and i would like to donate but i dont have paypal or a visa is there another way i can donate?

donate your wife.. haha joking:p

Upvote 0
Im still a little confused!! I tried rooting my esteem, before i got the spirit, but couldn't..im still very new to the whole rooting craze! Is there, anything i need to download to the spirit, before i actually begin the rooting process? I've read all the posts on down, and got more confused, to the point of not wanting to try and root! I hate to be a bother, theres anyway u can help me, it would be appropriated! Thanks

Upvote 0
Im still a little confused!! I tried rooting my esteem, before i got the spirit, but couldn't..im still very new to the whole rooting craze! Is there, anything i need to download to the spirit, before i actually begin the rooting process? I've read all the posts on down, and got more confused, to the point of not wanting to try and root! I hate to be a bother, theres anyway u can help me, it would be appropriated! Thanks

There is nothing you need to put on the phone. You just need to follow the directions in the original post. Download the script to your computer, plug the phone into the computer, making sure it's in charge mode only, then run the script.

Upvote 0
Very nice!!! Thank you, bliss. I use Linux, so I'll write a bash script if anyone needs that.
You missed the whole party... We now have root and 2nd init recovery. How awesome... right? :D

What do you think about that 4.1? Do you think it's possible on stock kernal?

Edit: just saw your post

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
You missed the whole party... We now have root and 2nd init recovery. How awesome... right? :D

What do you think about that 4.1? Do you think it's possible on stock kernal?

Edit: just saw your post

I believe it should be possible. We already have a 3.X kernel, and I don't remember anything that low level (kernel stuff) that needed to be changed in order to get CM9/10 booting.

In fact, I believe I used the stock kernel (minus the applicable hardware fixes needed) for the Motorola Triumph when I started on CM9.

EDIT: Weird thing happened to me after I rooted. I updated the SuperUser app, and something else got installed as well. It had a green, gear icon and it was called "Google Settings". I opened it, but it didn't really have many options (something to do with Google+). Not sure how or why it installed on my phone.

Upvote 0
the problem you guys are overlooking is t hat while cm can be used with a stock prebuilt kernel it needs a different ramdisk in order to boot. alter that ramdisk and you are gunna get a face full of security errors from the bootloader. th motion has cm10 due to 2nd init kernel, 3g works for some (not everyone) sms doesnt work nor does 4g. and due to teh community's complete disregard the only guy who was working on it took his ball and went home.

issac you are more than welcome to join our irc channel and chat with us, hroark does pop in from time to time and he would be teh best person to talk to regarding it all. bobzhome is also working on the lg motion now with the devices being so similar you guys can prolly get away with sharing a lot of work.

That's true, I'll need to dissect a stock boot image and take a look at our ramdisk.

All the connectivity issues theoretically can be fixed in the upper level bizness. We had similar problems with RIL, Data, and MMS because of Virgin Mobile's unusual protocols, and it was fixed in the framework code. But like all Android devs know, when you're working with prebuilt, proprietary blobs, sometimes it's like shooting in the dark.

I'm still up at school, but I'll hop on IRC when I get home. I remember Bobzhome from the Ascend days! I didn't know he was still dev'ing.

Upvote 0
Ensure you have the latest drivers for the spirit
Enable usb debugging in developer options
Set usb connection to charge only
Download Here
Extract the zip
Run the batch script named run.bat (it may be just run)

All credit goes to bliss for this root, be sure to thank him and show him you appreciate his work
Hi guys,
(Newbie) Could you be more specific as to how to do this. First I install [LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN38AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.8.1] on my PC and then I plug the phone in with the usb connection set to charge only and then run the batch on my PC. Correct?

Thanks....Tom

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
(Newbie) Could you be more specific as to how to do this. First I install [LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN38AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.8.1] on my PC and then I plug the phone in with the usb connection set to charge only and then run the batch on my PC. Correct?

Thanks....Tom

Yep, make sure that the actual driver installed for everything it detects first. You may also need to reboot if it's still not working.

Reactions: odatkid
Upvote 0
EDIT: Weird thing happened to me after I rooted. I updated the SuperUser app, and something else got installed as well. It had a green, gear icon and it was called "Google Settings". I opened it, but it didn't really have many options (something to do with Google+). Not sure how or why it installed on my phone.
I just got that green gear icon too. Called "Google Settings".
I think it happened with the removal of the (PlusOne.apk).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones