• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Unlock the Bootloader, install recovery, and Root your HTC One S

Ok. One more question. This is probably going to be more of an opinion/speculation. I've done my research. If I unlock my boot loader, I can "relock" the phone, but it will never again be "locked". So if i'm doing this, is it a waste of money to have the insurance because they will know the phone has been unlocked and refuse service? Or, in your opinion, will they still honor insurance claims in the future?

Usually, it will still cover hardware issues or other things (not sure if the insurance covers water damage, etc), but not software related issues. It may depend on the specific person you deal with, but usually that's how it works.

i used the One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0 and rooted my phone without a hitch, my problem started after i tried to flash a new rom (without making a naindroid backup) and now im stuck with the following message

This build is for development purposes only. Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC's written permission. Failure to comply may load to legal action.

after hours of reading and finding this thread, ive followed your guide step by step, deciding to use the TWRP 2 Recovery. once in the recovery i use ADB to push roms (BackToBasicsV2 & TrickDroid) to my sdcard and the recovery says they install fine but when i reboot, i get stuck with the same message.

ive also tried relocking my bootloader and using the closet carrier RUU i can find and get error 140 part way through the process
RUU_Ville_U_Rogers_WWE_1.70.631.1_Radio_0.16.31501S.02_10.18.31501S.08L

i can not find an RUU file for my carrier FIDO

BOOT SCREEN
***TAMPERED***
***unlocked***
VLE PUT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.13.0000
RADIO-0.17.31501S.10_2
OpenDSP-v28.1.0.32.0504
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012,15:14:18

any help would be very much appreciated.

i used the One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0 and rooted my phone without a hitch, my problem started after i tried to flash a new rom (without making a naindroid backup) and now im stuck with the following message

This build is for development purposes only. Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC's written permission. Failure to comply may load to legal action.

after hours of reading and finding this thread, ive followed your guide step by step, deciding to use the TWRP 2 Recovery. once in the recovery i use ADB to push roms (BackToBasicsV2 & TrickDroid) to my sdcard and the recovery says they install fine but when i reboot, i get stuck with the same message.

ive also tried relocking my bootloader and using the closet carrier RUU i can find and get error 140 part way through the process
RUU_Ville_U_Rogers_WWE_1.70.631.1_Radio_0.16.31501S.02_10.18.31501S.08L

i can not find an RUU file for my carrier FIDO

BOOT SCREEN
***TAMPERED***
***unlocked***
VLE PUT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.13.0000
RADIO-0.17.31501S.10_2
OpenDSP-v28.1.0.32.0504
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012,15:14:18

any help would be very much appreciated.

That red text is normal. But not booting past it is not. Do you know if you have the S3 or S4 version?

That red text is normal. But not booting past it is not. Do you know if you have the S3 or S4 version?

when i use the bootloader to access my recovery, i get the for development purposes only message for a few seconds before the recovery starts, is that normal as well?

HTC One S box
Model Z520m
CPU speed 1.5 GHz, dual core

i read through XDA and the closest to that model # is Z520e(s4), so my version is s4?

when i use the bootloader to access my recovery, i get the for development purposes only message for a few seconds before the recovery starts, is that normal as well?

HTC One S box
Model Z520m
CPU speed 1.5 GHz, dual core

i read through XDA and the closest to that model # is Z520e(s4), so my version is s4?

HTC One S Z520m 16GB (Unlocked) (Gradient Metal)

Quick google search confirms it is an s4.

I was actually going to use that all-in-one kit you speak of, but now I'm going to hold off until you figure out a solution or the problem. Please keep me updated. Either post here or PM me if you could.

Thanks!

btw you could probably get a nandroid backup somewhere on the internet. People usually upload a stock nandroid backup for when people screw up like this.

Yeah it's normal. If you have an S4,then the back to basics ROM won't work, it's for the S3 version.

I will be back to check in after a while and can try to help out more then.

I was actually going to use that all-in-one kit you speak of, but now I'm going to hold off until you figure out a solution or the problem. Please keep me updated. Either post here or PM me if you could.

Thanks!

btw you could probably get a nandroid backup somewhere on the internet. People usually upload a stock nandroid backup for when people screw up like this.

I would just follow the steps in the guide that way you know how to do it yourself. The all-in-one root kits are nice, but when something goes wrong it can be harder to figure out if you don't know exactly what happened.

There is a thread with nandroid backups (for the T-Mobile US version), but they only work for ClockworkMod Recovery. http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-things-root/560324-htc-one-s-stock-cwm-nandroid-backups-t-mobile-us.html

I will see if I can find an RUU for you. Is yours carrier branded? (If it's the same as the one you linked it is probably the one here (http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-things-root/560329-ruu-download-mirrors.html#post4483155), but I can't say for sure without more info.

Thanks!

the all-in-one kit does work, unlocks the bootloader and installs clockworkmod recovery but the recovery is out of date and.... to be honest, falls short compared to TWRP 2

as for the for development purposes only message, i was missing a crucial step, Flashing the stock boot.img from the ROM with fastboot.

everything is all good. THANK YOU agentc13 for writing this guide and also for taking the time read and reply to my post

the all-in-one kit does work, unlocks the bootloader and installs clockworkmod recovery but the recovery is out of date and.... to be honest, falls short compared to TWRP 2
Yeah, it works fine. I'm just a fan of people knowing how to do it all manually themselves.

as for the for development purposes only message, i was missing a crucial step, Flashing the stock boot.img from the ROM with fastboot.

everything is all good. thank you agentc13 for taking the time to write this guide and for also taking the time read and reply to my post

Ah, yeah, you need to flash that in order to have the correct kernel. Glad you got it sorted. With TWRP2 you shouldn't need to flash the boot.img (kernel, etc) separately (CWM still needs that step), so that shouldn't be an issue for you in the future.

I'm just getting a "file not found" message on that page :(

Seems I have the S3 and have installed the S4 recovery too. Just sticks on that red warning message.

only 2.2.0 seems to be available. Can't find 2.2.1 anywhere

There was an issue with goo.im losing a lot of downloads a little while back. Here's the development thread fir VilleC2 (S3) version of TWRP2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29075644.

Quick question for you. I'm gonna root my wifes phone as she's having problems with it running slow and the gps being poor though I'm a bit rusty as I haven't played about with development since rooting my Streak 5 over a year ago.
Anyway, my question is what is the environment variables for and is there a preferred bootloader as we only had the choice of clockwork with the dell?

Quick question for you. I'm gonna root my wifes phone as she's having problems with it running slow and the gps being poor though I'm a bit rusty as I haven't played about with development since rooting my Streak 5 over a year ago.
Anyway, my question is what is the environment variables for and is there a preferred bootloader as we only had the choice of clockwork with the dell?
The environment variables are just so you use adb/fastboot commands from any directory. As opposed to just the one where you installed them. If you only use adv/fastboot for this it's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either.

I prefer the TWRP2 recovery as you usually don't need to use fastboot to flash kernels, but if you plan on sticking with the stock ROM, it's not a big difference. There isn't a way to change the hboot without s-off.

Hi,
I managed to unlock the bootloader without any problems using One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0, but when i flashed the recovery it says OK on the CMD screen but when i reboot i get stuck with this message...

Then i found this thread, I tried to flash the recovery again with the SDK but also got stuck in the same place!!
I tried CWM and TWRP both didn't work for me..
Any suggestions??

Hi,
I managed to unlock the bootloader without any problems using One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.0, but when i flashed the recovery it says OK on the CMD screen but when i reboot i get stuck with this message...

Then i found this thread, I tried to flash the recovery again with the SDK but also got stuck in the same place!!
I tried CWM and TWRP both didn't work for me..
Any suggestions??

Do you know which version of the phone you have (S3 or S4)? I am guessing that you have the S3 and flashed the recovery for the S4. Try this recovery http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29075644 (make sure to modify the command to match the different file name).

hello im trying to root and when i tell command promt to find the unlock binery code i keep getting this messeage .

c:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'

i saved the unlock code in the same folder as android platfom tools and still no luck would it be to much to ask for help im stuck

OK I'm stuck on Step 7. When I type fastboot oem get_identifier_token in Command Prompt it just gets stuck and says <waiting for device>.

USB Debugging is checked. What do I do?

hello im trying to root and when i tell command promt to find the unlock binery code i keep getting this messeage .

c:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'

i saved the unlock code in the same folder as android platfom tools and still no luck would it be to much to ask for help im stuck

Is it in the same folder as fastboot.exe? I think that is what you are saying, but not 100% sure I read it right. If so make sure you navigate there via the command line (cd /....) then enter the command and it should work.

OK I'm stuck on Step 7. When I type fastboot oem get_identifier_token in Command Prompt it just gets stuck and says <waiting for device>.

USB Debugging is checked. What do I do?

You need to reboot into the bootloader and put the phone in fastboot mode. If you have usb debugging checked you are booted normally and you can't use fastboot commands in that situation.

You need to reboot into the bootloader and put the phone in fastboot mode. If you have usb debugging checked you are booted normally and you can't use fastboot commands in that situation.

Ok so I turn the phone on by holding power and volume down, then I go to fastboot and then connect the USB. This is what I have been doing so far and I've been getting the message. Are you saying I need to uncheck USB debugging?

Ok so I turn the phone on by holding power and volume down, then I go to fastboot and then connect the USB. This is what I have been doing so far and I've been getting the message. Are you saying I need to uncheck USB debugging?

Okay, you are un fastboot mode like you should be. When you type "fastboot devices" in the command prompt what does it say?

You have the correct drivers installed?

Okay, you are un fastboot mode like you should be. When you type "fastboot devices" in the command prompt what does it say?

You have the correct drivers installed?

OK I've got past the waiting for devices. I was on Windows 8 and I tried it on Vista and it worked. But I think I made a mistake. I did not uncheck Fast boot from the power menu. Is this a problem?

I have unlocked the bootloader, but the above issue remains. Do I need to stop, or can I go onto the next step?

OK I've got past the waiting for devices. I was on Windows 8 and I tried it on Vista and it worked. But I think I made a mistake. I did not uncheck Fast boot from the power menu. Is this a problem?

I have unlocked the bootloader, but the above issue remains. Do I need to stop, or can I go onto the next step?

It could be. Just reboot normally and make sure it is off. Then go back to where you were in the process (about to flash the recovery?)

Back
Top Bottom