• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Unlock the Bootloader, install recovery, and Root your HTC One S

i cant fastboot flash the file u recommended twrp2.2.1villec2
i get the error: cannot load blabla: unkown error

any suggestions?

http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-...r-install-recovery-root-your-htc-one-s-2.html

I followed the instructions all the way until the end of the Clockwork Recovery installation. I then proceeded to do the Nandroid backup and restore like the tutorial suggested.

Now the problem is that I cant get out of Clockwork Recovery! If i select reboot system now, it will just reboot flicker once or twice and go back to CWM. If I go to backup and restore>restore> and restore the backup that I had, it will do the same restart and go back to CWM.

What is going on? I'm on my HTC One S (tmobile s4) This is so frustrating because everything worked fine until now!

Same here for me. I followed the instructions to the end and, after reboot, I'm back at the Recovery and cannot get anywhere else. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

first of all thanks for the guide!

I unlocked the bootloader without any problem (apparently), but I have trouble with the following steps. Basically, when rebooting after flashing the rom, the phone gets stuck at the HTC splash screen (the one saying "HTC quietly brilliant"). I honestly don't know why, I'm pretty sure I followed your instructions literally... any idea of where I could have messed it up?

By the way, I've tried using both ClockworkMod and TWRP 2... same results.

Thanks again for any help!

Hi,

first of all thanks for the guide!

I unlocked the bootloader without any problem (apparently), but I have trouble with the following steps. Basically, when rebooting after flashing the rom, the phone gets stuck at the HTC splash screen (the one saying "HTC quietly brilliant"). I honestly don't know why, I'm pretty sure I followed your instructions literally... any idea of where I could have messed it up?

By the way, I've tried using both ClockworkMod and TWRP 2... same results.

Thanks again for any help!

It sounds like you need to flash the kernel for your ROM. In later bootloader versions it won't allow you to do it without manually flashing the kernel in fastboot mode. I am fairly busy at work right now, but I will try to get back with more specific instructions in a few hours.

Hey,
nevermind, I managed to do it!
I couldn't make SU work properly because I forgot to untick fastboot in the battery menu and to tick usb debugging in the developer options... after doing that I had no problem in flashing the rom. :)

Thanks again!

There is no 'r18_installer' at the Android SDK | Android Developers link posted here. There isalso no 'r18_installer' in any of the files downloaded from that link.

I am ready to do this root thing on post #1 on my new One S. All the steps are up to date right?

I am taking one giant step backwards from HTC EVO 4G LTE with 1.12 Hboot and s-off to this new T-mobile One S. :-(

I am ready to do this root thing on post #1 on my new One S. All the steps are up to date right?

I am taking one giant step backwards from HTC EVO 4G LTE with 1.12 Hboot and s-off to this new T-mobile One S. :-(

The process is the same, but the flashable root binaries may be out of date (and possibly the recovery links, but they will still work). Just check on a newer version of those.

I've successfully rooted and unlocked my HTC One S (T-Mo USA) using this amazing manual, I had to do it initially for VM Canada SIM and after for AT&T. But I had to sell it now and want to unroot and restore to the original settings. All my data is already saved and telephone is ready for different tortures though I'm afraid to brick it. So many tutorials and special programs around the net so I'm a bit confused. I tried only "Full Unroot" in SuperSU and it gives almost nothing except uninstalled application.

Any suggestions and help is very appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Alex

I've successfully rooted and unlocked my HTC One S (T-Mo USA) using this amazing manual, I had to do it initially for VM Canada SIM and after for AT&T. But I had to sell it now and want to unroot and restore to the original settings. All my data is already saved and telephone is ready for different tortures though I'm afraid to brick it. So many tutorials and special programs around the net so I'm a bit confused. I tried only "Full Unroot" in SuperSU and it gives almost nothing except uninstalled application.

Any suggestions and help is very appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Alex

You need to find the correct RUU for your firmware AND CID, then format system/data/dalvik etc., relock bootloader and run RUU to restore the phone to original ROM/recovery/boot etc.

I just finish rooting.

Few points:

* There is no path to \platform tools. I have to download another sdk file to get to fastboot.exe
* I could not find CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip. I have to google it

My phone seems a little acting up while booting the first time. The screen goes on and off and get no signal error. Now everything seems to be working. I can use the wifi. Supersu is working and Wifi Tether I can give root access.

I thought I can just remove Amazon app n other junk but I cant. Where to uinstall?

I am also looking for a good stock ROM with all the junk remove. I dont want to updated every week. Any recommendation?

Hello.

I followed the instructions up to the point of downloading the SuperSu .zip file. The post you refer to has no attachment at the end and its download links lead to the site of the app.
So I googled it and found a .zip file. I continued with the procedure as normal. When I tried to run the SuperSu app I got a message that the binary must be updated. I chose yes but I got an "Installation Error".
So I updated from the Store. The application was updated successfully but on startup of the application I get the same message, the same "Installation error", only this time the phone reboots immediately.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I tried using the unroot option of SuperSu but I cannot tell if it worked or not. How do I tell if my phone is Unrooted?

Thank you in advance.

For me, I install "Wifi Tether". That is the only only only reason why anyone would want to root the phone. :-)

You will get a prompt from SuperSU asking if you want to Grant it access.

I too have to google for the supersu .zip file and download it else where.

Hello.

I followed the instructions up to the point of downloading the SuperSu .zip file. The post you refer to has no attachment at the end and its download links lead to the site of the app.
So I googled it and found a .zip file. I continued with the procedure as normal. When I tried to run the SuperSu app I got a message that the binary must be updated. I chose yes but I got an "Installation Error".
So I updated from the Store. The application was updated successfully but on startup of the application I get the same message, the same "Installation error", only this time the phone reboots immediately.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I tried using the unroot option of SuperSu but I cannot tell if it worked or not. How do I tell if my phone is Unrooted?

Thank you in advance.

I will check into updating the post with the newer supersu as soon as I can.

Also, there are root checker apps on the play store that will tell you if the phone is rooted or not.

Thank you for your reply. It seems that the phone is rooted.

However, the rebooting problem with SuperSu remains and, although I am root, I cannot find a way to uninstall it. Is it possible to do so and use some other application?

pontifikas,

If you get a cook ROM, you would get the latest almost everything. Have you found a good cook ROM you like yet?

Hello, not sure if this is active anymore or not but as I was reading along the guide I accidentally installed clockwork recovery AND TWRP. Now my phone will constantly load cwm and I can't get past it or flash twrp over it because when I attempt to access the device through my computer, the disk drive of the phone is greyed out and will not let me open it. I have tried to get fastboot to load up now but as I am in cwm I don't think I can get that to work so I could possibly flash over cwm with twrp. No idea what to do :(

Hello, not sure if this is active anymore or not but as I was reading along the guide I accidentally installed clockwork recovery AND TWRP. Now my phone will constantly load cwm and I can't get past it or flash twrp over it because when I attempt to access the device through my computer, the disk drive of the phone is greyed out and will not let me open it. I have tried to get fastboot to load up now but as I am in cwm I don't think I can get that to work so I could possibly flash over cwm with twrp. No idea what to do :(

What are you taking about ?? You don't flash twrp from SD card, you flash it from fastboot...

Hi, I keep getting the error "error:cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin' : Unknown error"
even though i wrote in exactly what is needed...my Unlock_code.bin file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe

C:Users\"username">root\sdk\a\fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

i am running 64bit window 7. when i downloaded the sdk, i downloaded the 64bit. after opening the folder i coulnt find "installer_r18-windows.exe".

Hi, I keep getting the error "error:cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin' : Unknown error"
even though i wrote in exactly what is needed...my Unlock_code.bin file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe

i am running 64bit window 7. when i downloaded the sdk, i downloaded the 64bit. after opening the folder i coulnt find "installer_r18-windows.exe".

You could try the mini-sdk posted here instead of the full sdk: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

I'm not really sure what to tell you though if you can do other fastboot/adb commands then it's installed correctly and must be an issue with something else (maybe the unlock token?).

Try installing the x86 version ,it worked for me ! I am running x64 Win7 .

I believe this error means it cannot find the file 'Unlock_code.bin' Did this file get placed into the directory with fastboot?

Back
Top Bottom