• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to use ADB to determine screen

Nayr747

I know there's a thread in the guides, but it doesn't actually explain how to use ADB to do this. I'd like to root my phone but I'm a total novice. Can anyone explain in simple terms how to determine which screen I have? I have 2.2.2 and I think I bought it sometime in late 2011, early 2012.

The Pre-Packaged ADB installer is fool proof. Takes 5 minutes to establish ADB in the system path of your PC.
You have to have Busybox installed for the code to work.
The shell commands need to start with:
adb shell
if you don't get a # after you type it in, type this in next:
su
You should now get a #, if you still get a $ you need to check your root.

Thanks for the help so far! Ok, here's what I've done:
Installed SDK and ADB (on Win7 x64).
Installed the three drivers from here: http://optimusv.wikispaces.com/ADB+-+Android+Debug+Bridge.
Checked "unknown sources" on my phone.
Connected my phone to my laptop and clicked "turn on USB storage".
Pulled up command prompt in C:\Users\Ry\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Typed "adb devices" and got "A10000194146D9 device".
Typed "adb shell" and got a $.
Typed "su" and got "su: permission denied".
Typing in "grep hitachi" or "grep novatek" gets "grep: permission denied".
Tried typing "adb shell dmesg | grep hitachi"/novatek and get "'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or bath file". But I'm not sure I'm using the right key for the vertical line. I shift clicked the key with the backslash and the vertical line with a gap in the middle.
BusyBox says phone needs to be rooted before I can install it.

This is all just attempting to determine my phone's version and screen before I can even root it since the guide says it's a good idea to do so. Do I even need to do this?

Tried typing "adb shell dmesg | grep hitachi"/novatek

... attempting to determine my phone's version and screen before I can even root it since the guide says it's a good idea to do so. Do I even need to do this?

It's not absolutely essential, but it would be safer to have as much info as possible before rooting. The type of screen used in your OV does influence rooting procedures in certain circumstances and guides.

Anyway, try the following:

- type "adb shell dmesg > ovscreen.txt" instead

- locate the generated file 'ovscreen.txt' and open it with a text editor

- search for 'novatek' if results are found, then your OV is a novatek

- if no search result, then try searching for 'hitachi'...

HTH...

All out of the box 2.2.1 Android OS V's have the Novatek screen.
The early 2.2.2 versions had the Novatek screen (released in August), the latter 2.2.2(released in September)-the Hitachi screen. There for a while both screen versions where available for purchase. Any 2.2.2 purchased after January is more than likely a Hitachi.
This is posted just in case some members feel intimidated by shell commands.

That command doesn't seem to result in anything. I may try uninstalling, then reinsalling SDK/ADB following the guide word for word to see if that's the problem. Maybe it's in the wrong folder? Or maybe the drivers?

I bought the phone on 9/14/2011 so that's why I'm not sure. It's right between the two versions. I've read another way to tell is sometimes the screen tint. Mine looks more blue than yellow, but that could just be my eyes.

That command doesn't seem to result in anything.

Nothing will be displayed on the screen when that command sequence is executed. It just returns to your DOS command prompt when it's completed.

I may try uninstalling, then reinsalling SDK/ADB following the guide word for word to see if that's the problem.

Not the problem, but if you insist on doing things the hard way... :rolleyes:

Maybe it's in the wrong folder?

You need to locate the generated file on your PC, and do as instructed previously.

Or maybe the drivers?
Not the issue, as ADB is working fine with your phone.

Thank you tli! :D Sorry, I'm very tired and missed that part of your comment. I lucked out for once. I've got Novatek. So from what I've read this version is a lot easier to root, right?

Yes. You can use the 1.6.4 version of SuperOneClick. Select Shell Root and then push Superuser and Busybox with shell commands.

You can use the Gingerbreak.apk (takes several tries but is harmless to your phone if you mess something up).

You can use the Gordita Root exploit found in the EManU3LXXX Optimus V Root.zip

Ok, I got Gingerbreak on my phone and pressed root and after a few minutes it restarted. But how do I know if it worked? It says to make sure the superuser app is installed and working, but I can't find it anywhere on the phone.

Ok, I got Gingerbreak on my phone and pressed root and after a few minutes it restarted. But how do I know if it worked? It says to make sure the superuser app is installed and working, but I can't find it anywhere on the phone.

The shell commands need to start with:
adb shell
if you don't get a # after you type it in, type this in next:
su
You should now get a #, if you still get a $ you need to check your root.

# prompt indicates phone is rooted and Superuser is installed properly.

$ prompt indicates not.

Download a terminal emulator from the market. Open it up and type in: su
Then hit the enter key. If your rooted you should get a Superuser permission request and you should get a # after typing in su.

Superuser should be in the app drawer. Go to the market and go to your "My apps" section. Update the Superuser app.

If you got a $ after typing in su you are not rooted.

Back
Top Bottom