• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Howto install DATA2SD: Guide

lol you are just unlucky
the pb99img.zip must be extracted from the installer, i had a friend who was telling me they couldnt flash it and he actually zipped the exe and put it on the sdcard.
sufficed to say this didnt work lol.
also people have not noticed it was actually called pb99img.zip.zip due to windows hiding the extention

Yup..Covered that..Got the zip from the exe by monitoring the Temp, and did rename it correctly, coz I did that within Linux, and Linux isnt as stupid as Windows that way.. ;)

Still no idea..So when I actually will need an RUU in future, dunno what to do!

Upvote 0
Yes indeed. :)
I'm PVT-3
By the way, today I was able to successfully flash the latest WWE RUU. Apparently my goldcard partition was defective. Once I formatted it as FAT32 once again, and put the PB99IMG.zip, it went through..

BUT..
Since then, the Android OS itself keeps rebooting. At times it loads ok, then if I go to Android Market and install something, after it says "Starting to download", it reboots immediately. Then immediately, there is a boot loop before the HTC Briliant screen. Then the phone becomes inoperable until I flash the zip again. Again the whole thing repeats..

Starting to think there's a hardware issue in it.. Maybe something to do with the AMOLED/board they recently installed..

At the moment, I'm trying to downgrade with Teppic's downgrade tool..

Upvote 0
Yes indeed. :)
I'm PVT-3
By the way, today I was able to successfully flash the latest WWE RUU. Apparently my goldcard partition was defective. Once I formatted it as FAT32 once again, and put the PB99IMG.zip, it went through..

BUT..
Since then, the Android OS itself keeps rebooting. At times it loads ok, then if I go to Android Market and install something, after it says "Starting to download", it reboots immediately. Then immediately, there is a boot loop before the HTC Briliant screen. Then the phone becomes inoperable until I flash the zip again. Again the whole thing repeats..

Starting to think there's a hardware issue in it.. Maybe something to do with the AMOLED/board they recently installed..

At the moment, I'm trying to downgrade with Teppic's downgrade tool..
that sounds like hardware to me mate, lets just hope they dont replace it with a pvt-4 board

Upvote 0
i dont think it did, i think its coincidence. i think you got other stuff going on there.
probably the same reason it corrupted itself the otherday.
again now you ar at stock try a different sdcard.
you still keep getting it then its back to HTC for you im afraid.
theres no reason to get any odd behaviour after an RUU

Upvote 0
It definitely seems to be back to HTC..And it definitely seems to be hardware issue..

Teppic's tool worked flawlessly..I've gone down to Hboot 0.83..

I'd taken the device to HTC and shown it to then..They just tried flashing it, and guess what..Flash error..I suspect it's the CID error..I was on HTC__038 (branded)..but then ran the WWE RUU..

So I took the phone back..Since the only RUU for my region available on the net is 1.21.720, I had to downgrade..Now that Teppic has done it, I'll just flash the Indian RUU and take it back on Monday for repair..

The Service centre was a new one, and when I submitted it last month with an SLCD brick (Incompatible RUU flash), they first diagnosed Display problem, then board problem..Finally after a month, replaced both..Now got an AMOLED..

The technician hinted that CID change would lead to voiding of warranty, so I have to flash the 1.21.720 and take it back.. I was looking forward to using it.. Sigh..

Upvote 0
well you managed to downgrade so you sould be able to flash the correct RUU
once done they have no argument although some people have sent devices to HTC rooted and rommed up and HTC have fixed it due to it being a hardware issue and not software.
i suppose its the osi moddle though. 1st level of support is application/software

Upvote 0
well you managed to downgrade so you sould be able to flash the correct RUU
once done they have no argument although some people have sent devices to HTC rooted and rommed up and HTC have fixed it due to it being a hardware issue and not software.
i suppose its the osi moddle though. 1st level of support is application/software

How on earth did they make a Rooting issue appear to be hardware issue..Actually HTC has very recently added a clause to the warranty disclaimer stating that software issues are excluded..wont be repaired..

But since the warranty on paper supplied with the device leaves that clause out..They wont have grounds to refuse service..at least legally.

Still I decided not to take any chances.. I didnt want them arguing over it..And these people apparently dont even know that a device's CID can be changed.. ;)

Upvote 0
lol it was just a teaser for you :/

You shoud put a note on the thread that most of the conversation in this post is not due to failure of the data2sd setup but a hardware failure of the device itself

we dont want to needlessly scare people out of trying something potentially being one of the biggest things since desire came out

Upvote 0
its still data2ext
also ontop of this its using simlink rather than siberes method so you dont see the internal memory rise to what ever amount your ext container is.

this is a cleaner and safer method however i feel its not perfected

Hmm..So DATA2EXT was around earlier?

It definitely seems to be safer and faster, judging by the Quadrant scores put up by ppl..

So how much Internal memory does it show for you?

Upvote 0
Hmm..So DATA2EXT was around earlier?

It definitely seems to be safer and faster, judging by the Quadrant scores put up by ppl..

So how much Internal memory does it show for you?

data2ext was around for about a week now, ownhere made one that was dangerous and corrupted sdcards badly.
this guy has worked on those issues and made it stable however there doesnt seem to be evidence of it being faster and safer than siberes

sibere explained why in that thread in the way it unmounts, also the fact it mounts as loop back to a file in a partition rather than a physical ext partition only the file/container would become corrupted instead of the hole partition and sdcard.
on top of that the reason why siberes is slower is because hes using sync by default
this doesnt use sync, you can also turn off sync on data2sd and people get between 2200 and 2700 quadrant scores.

I havent toyed with it yet personally, he says himself it doesnt show a value as it just stays at 142mb and doesnt shrink.
im going to let these devs battle it out untill we get perfection.
there is one thing i do know: i will not touch any roms that have ownheres data2ext script in it.

EDIT:
when i see cleaner safer im refering to ownheres data2ext as siberes method seems pretty solid, its just harder to do

Upvote 0
data2ext was around for about a week now, ownhere made one that was dangerous and corrupted sdcards badly.
this guy has worked on those issues and made it stable however there doesnt seem to be evidence of it being faster and safer than siberes

sibere explained why in that thread in the way it unmounts, also the fact it mounts as loop back to a file in a partition rather than a physical ext partition only the file/container would become corrupted instead of the hole partition and sdcard.
on top of that the reason why siberes is slower is because hes using sync by default
this doesnt use sync, you can also turn off sync on data2sd and people get between 2200 and 2700 quadrant scores.

I havent toyed with it yet personally, he says himself it doesnt show a value as it just stays at 142mb and doesnt shrink.
im going to let these devs battle it out untill we get perfection.
there is one thing i do know: i will not touch any roms that have ownheres data2ext script in it.

EDIT:
when i see cleaner safer im refering to ownheres data2ext as siberes method seems pretty solid, its just harder to do

Hmm..I was thinking of trying one of the Neophyte ROMs with DATA2EXT when I get back my phone early next week.

I really needed to know a couple of points..I couldnt follow that thread as closely as I wanted, and now it's hard to keep track!

Please tell me:
Are there any differences in the way we use nandroid backup usually, in DATA2SD, and DATA2EXT.Do we need to do anything in particular to do a Nandroid restore, like copying any files manually to the sdcard?

Upvote 0
yes a huge difference in the backup
data2sd will backup the full ext file even if its empty so say you have a 1gb ext file due to the second fat32 partition then it will be 1gb+ in size

if you have data2ext then it around the size of a2sd+ as it can read the files

this post confirms my suspicions that the ownhere etc were a bit naughty and made assumptions causing problems.
[DEV] Solution to MASSIVLY improve I/O (real life not quadrant) + lag fix - xda-developers

it annoys me that ownheres hacked script that was from sibere that was also faulty got a front page spread on xda
New Hack for Desire and Nexus One: data2ext | xda-developers
yet sibere you found it and has a more stable option doesnt even get a mention.
dangerous games

Upvote 0
yes a huge difference in the backup
data2sd will backup the full ext file even if its empty so say you have a 1gb ext file due to the second fat32 partition then it will be 1gb+ in size

if you have data2ext then it around the size of a2sd+ as it can read the files

this post confirms my suspicions that the ownhere etc were a bit naughty and made assumptions causing problems.
[DEV] Solution to MASSIVLY improve I/O (real life not quadrant) + lag fix - xda-developers

it annoys me that ownheres hacked script that was from sibere that was also faulty got a front page spread on xda
New Hack for Desire and Nexus One: data2ext | xda-developers
yet sibere you found it and has a more stable option doesnt even get a mention.
dangerous games

Wow..Seems like everyone's busy..Sibere set the ball rolling and now so many branches..Guess ultimately, it will all do good for the Desire..

A shame that Google couldnt have done it themselves! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones