• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire S

Incredible S is 4"

Ultimately HTC have done nothing wrong. Everyone on here has built up expectations to levels which are near impossible to meet. I reckon they're waiting til later this year/next year to see how new tech works on the mobile scene and if it works they'll come back stronger

I'm looking forward to April next year when I can upgrade, exciting times

Yeah and its the only one. They should just make those sizes. 4.3, 4.0, 3.8 and forget the 3.2. I swear the 4 is a perfect size even if the 4.3 is doable.

Upvote 0
I think people are missing the point here.

The HTC Desire S is the phone of the year (the Desire) with all of the major complaints addressed:

- ample internal memory
- front facing camera
- Slightly larger battery and a processor that is more power efficient (combined, this will result in hours more battery life)
- creaking/plasticy body
- Wireless N

I was also disappointed with the announcements, but that's because I already have the Desire, and the majority of people who have the Desire will be stuck in contracts. Clearly this phone is an "evolution" not a "revolution." The HTC Desire is one of their best selling products and an incredibly successful phone; they don't want to change too much about it, just tweak it so there's more appeal.

I certainly won't be upgrading but I can see why HTC have done this.

Upvote 0
to be fair im starting to REALLY wonder why we're getting front facing cameras again...then started out like 8 years ago and we didnt care for them then...and guess what...most people couldn't care less now for them...

only reason I can see is because of apple and their damn face time...so other companys are rushing out their ones to compete in...well...what? video calls are still damned expensive unless your skyping over wifi...and eh..I'd rather use the webcam on my laptop for that and not bother giving myself a dead arm holding my bloody phone lol

Upvote 0
The good thing is HTC now also has a 4" model to bridge the gap between Desire and Desire HD. However, the dismantlement is still there.

To be fair for HTC, I think it is not entirely their fault for not bringing out a dual-core phone. They are fully connected with Qualcomm, who couldn't deliver dual-cores on time to release in March.

Upvote 0
What's wrong with Desire S and Incredible S? They are obviously the "perfected" HTC phones, compared to their previous counterparts. I am sure HTC would have released dual core instead of single cores, if not for the fact that Qualcomm isn't ready yet. But at least, HTC didn't price the phones at a dual-core prices (at least in my country anyway). Heck, even the Incredible S is $150SGD (Roughly 119 USD) cheaper than the Nexus S. And in my country, the Nexus S uses SLCD.

I also like the fact that HTC is focusing on software over hardware. Apple has proven time and time again, that software is as important as hardware (Just look at Macs). Perhaps to most modders it doesn't matter, but to the average consumer, it actually does. Contrast HTC phones to Samsung. Sure, SGS may have the better specs than the HTC Desire. But at the end of the day, which would the consumer prefer? To me, HTC is a phone that "just works".

to be fair im starting to REALLY wonder why we're getting front facing cameras again...then started out like 8 years ago and we didnt care for them then...and guess what...most people couldn't care less now for them...

only reason I can see is because of apple and their damn face time...so other companys are rushing out their ones to compete in...well...what? video calls are still damned expensive unless your skyping over wifi...and eh..I'd rather use the webcam on my laptop for that and not bother giving myself a dead arm holding my bloody phone lol

Actually, the front camera is for camwhoring. In the past, the camera was far too weak for camwhoring (0.3MP). No more, with 1.3MP cameras.

Upvote 0
The good thing is HTC now also has a 4" model to bridge the gap between Desire and Desire HD. However, the dismantlement is still there.

To be fair for HTC, I think it is not entirely their fault for not bringing out a dual-core phone. They are fully connected with Qualcomm, who couldn't deliver dual-cores on time to release in March.

well said,but i also think that HTC are very clever aswell,wait till all the madness has died down over the release of the attrix,sgs2 etc then step in with the EVO 3D and the PYRAMID.....only my opinion.
my missus wants my desire so im going to go get the desire S to keep me on till one of the above are out..:)

Upvote 0
Actually, the front camera is for camwhoring. In the past, the camera was far too weak for camwhoring (0.3MP). No more, with 1.3MP cameras.

Actually front facing cameras were designed for 3g video calling, it went out cos no one cared for them and we only started to care when apple made it a massive selling point.

Other company's don't often say video calling now for some stupid fear apple will Sue them for an idea that was here 8 years ago lol so they refer to them as 'portrait' cameras.

Front facing cameras are still stupid and a waste of time in my opinion.

Upvote 0
DHD is the same as the HD2, which was perfect for my hands

It's not perfect for all of us though... My friend had a HD2, it looked like a tablet in my hands! Even the Incredible S is too big for me, I can't type qwerty on it as my thumbs don't reach the central letters.

I just got a Desire S. So it's not the best phone in the world, but it more than meets my needs - sturdy build quality, light, compact, fast for my type of usage, and most of the size is the screen. I'm very happy with it. Each to their own :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones