• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC GPhones handed out @ Google....

Google Phone That Much Closer To Realization? | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

According to this guy's sources, they make the connection between this "google phone" and the Passion, and they're saying it's coming to T-Mobile. If this is indeed the codenamed Passion, we know from a ROM release that there is a PassionC out there, a likely CDMA version. We've already heard about Verizon sources telling the blogs about the impending Passion a few weeks back. It's all starting to make sense now. There will be separate GSM and CDMA versions. I'll bet they start out on T-Mo and VZW, and eventually make their way to AT&T and Sprint.

I spoke to a Verizon tech support rep today cause i was having issues with my storm1...nothing new. I inquired about the passion and he was honest with me--said that hes probably reading the same blogs that i have been, and they are not given phones to familiarize with untill about a week before the release. Then he explained the partnership between Google and Verizon--Any new release of Android has to come through Verizon for the next 6 months. I believe the HTC Passion is supposed to be the first device running 2.1, so it would then have to be released through Verizon first. This should also mean that it would be released before the "Nexus 1," or the Google branded phone.

Upvote 0
Google Phone That Much Closer To Realization? | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

According to this guy's sources, they make the connection between this "google phone" and the Passion, and they're saying it's coming to T-Mobile. If this is indeed the codenamed Passion, we know from a ROM release that there is a PassionC out there, a likely CDMA version. We've already heard about Verizon sources telling the blogs about the impending Passion a few weeks back. It's all starting to make sense now. There will be separate GSM and CDMA versions. I'll bet they start out on T-Mo and VZW, and eventually make their way to AT&T and Sprint.

So this sounds like my theory is so far correct:

SoCalMiles' Passion Theory

Upvote 0
All I know is that all of this information is confusing and doesn't clear anything up. Yet I remain hopeful.

I saw a comment earlier in this thread and in other places that basically says Verizon is hard to work with, and that Verizon will get shafted because of this. Well, that was the old Verizon. The new Verizon is all about being open, and I don't think they are as easy to let go the golden goose, like they did with the iPhone.

With the Droid, which really is a good phone, it was a high water mark for Verizon in terms of phone quality and being the next big thing. And with the impending potential iPhone launch on Verizon coming as early as this year, and the increased competition between Google and Apple as of late, it would seem to me that Verizon would actually be a pretty good partner to work with. All speculation on my part of course, so keep those grains of salt handy.

Upvote 0
All I know is that all of this information is confusing and doesn't clear anything up. Yet I remain hopeful.

I saw a comment earlier in this thread and in other places that basically says Verizon is hard to work with, and that Verizon will get shafted because of this. Well, that was the old Verizon. The new Verizon is all about being open, and I don't think they are as easy to let go the golden goose, like they did with the iPhone.

With the Droid, which really is a good phone, it was a high water mark for Verizon in terms of phone quality and being the next big thing. And with the impending potential iPhone launch on Verizon coming as early as this year, and the increased competition between Google and Apple as of late, it would seem to me that Verizon would actually be a pretty good partner to work with. All speculation on my part of course, so keep those grains of salt handy.

Google and Verizon have a partnership. Hence any grand new phone should end up on Verizon unless they turn it down. Verizon allowing Google Voice (which ATT rejects) shows they're open to Google's ideas.
Though I dont believe what was released on the Google campus yesterday is meant to be a consumer product, yet.

Upvote 0
What are the chances that Google/HTC have been able to squeeze both GSM & CDMA into one unit to allow for a single phone with the ability to be used on all US carriers?

It seems to me that something with these possibilities + google voice, has the ability to rock the US carrier market and start the change to them being nothing but bandwidth providers (as they should be IMO).

Upvote 0
Great Find!

...does anyone else find it a little strange that this "Google Phone" has the same EXACT touch button icons on the bottom as the Moto Droid does, yet its supposed to be manufactured by HTC?

I believe I read somewhere that Verizon is going to be requiring it on all their 'droid' devices....hmmm, another reason to believe that this may be coming to Verizon as well....

Upvote 0
Will this google phone be running Sense UI? If not, will the HTC branded version (maybe the "Passion"/Bravo) have Sense UI?

This is just a guess, but I think the answer is yes. Looks like the non-branded version will be the "Google phone" and the HTC branded version will be the Passion, perhaps. Word is that the Google phone WILL NOT have Sense UI on it, so it makes sense that if that is the case, the Verizon HTC branded unit WILL be able to have Sense UI on it. This is a VERY good thing, in my personal opinion. Who knows? The phone coming to Verizon could be a completely different phone. Maybe it's more like the Bravo and it will be way more advanced than this Google phone we're hearing about and seeing new leaked pictures of. If Verizon get's a version of the HTC Bravo, that would mean that Verizon has a more advanced and "special" phone and not just what everyone else is getting. That's what I'm hoping at least. I just know that there is NO WAY Verizon is getting the shaft here. They're a partner with Google and Android. It would make no sense whatsoever to not send an absolutely KILLER phone to them!

Upvote 0
I would really rather have the Bravo. This thing is ugly but it does have better specs than the droid

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Verizon will be getting this phone. I think they're getting something way better! It seems like this phone is what Google is going to be pushing and selling to the masses. It's made as cheaply as possible and developed for non-contract sales. So, it seems as though it was made to please as many people as possible. The phone coming to Verizon, however, I believe will be a phone that is meant to blow away all others. I think this will be a version of the Bravo and will kick this Google phone's ass all over the place! However, what I'm saying is just speculation. I hope it's not though.

Upvote 0
What are the chances that Google/HTC have been able to squeeze both GSM & CDMA into one unit to allow for a single phone with the ability to be used on all US carriers?

Could be possible. The Snapdragon 1GHz processor comes in two flavors: the QSD8250 supports only GSM-based 3G while the QSD8650 supports both GSM and CDMA 3G data standards. Of course, you still have to pair it with the proper radio for the frequencies you intend to work with. The question is, will they be able to cram a GSM and CDMA radio together into such a small, thin footprint. Some of the Verizon-branded Blackberries do this, but they're a bit more hefty. These Google employees can pop the battery cover and see a SIM card slot, but without some serious familiarity or investigation, they're not gonna know if it's a dual-mode phone.

Upvote 0
I would really rather have the Bravo. This thing is ugly but it does have better specs than the droid
umm...the pics i've seen of the nexus and the bravo are the same. you can't actually put too much into the leaked bravo pics because they're just drawings, not photos. The "Google Phone" that i've seen over the past 2 days is the same phone that everyone has been calling Dragon/Passion/Bravo. :)

Upvote 0
I would also rather have the Bravo, or anything with Snapdragon + Sense UI for that matter. Sense is an essential ingredient.

I couldn't agree more! Sense UI is gorgeous! It would make sense, haha, for Verizon, Google and HTC to give us the phone that we want, because EVERYONE would buy it! Verizon customers have been waiting for an iPhone equivalent or "killer" for years now. If they actually gave us one, we would ALL buy one! Am I right?

Upvote 0
umm...the pics i've seen of the nexus and the bravo are the same. you can't actually put too much into the leaked bravo pics because they're just drawings, not photos. The "Google Phone" that i've seen over the past 2 days is the same phone that everyone has been calling Dragon/Passion/Bravo. :)

Leaked pics of the so called Passion

Google Phone / Nexus One makes first Twitter appearance? (update: new pics!) -- Engadget

Here is the Bravo

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/107961_htc-bravo-android-big1.jpg

I dont think there the same phones. I hate this waiting game. I want to know facts now. What is the real deal with all this bs. Ahhhhh

Upvote 0
My personal comments are in bold.

ShareThis
By Tony Bradley

Rumors have been circulating for a while now that Google is developing its own Android-based handset. The Wall Street Journal reports that the rumors are confirmed and that Google employees are currently using a prototype of the Google device, which will be dubbed the Nexus One.

The Nexus One hardware is allegedly from HTC--from the same mold as the HTC Passion.
Its based on the Passion but is not the Passion.

Based on the current rumors, the Nexus One runs on the blazing fast Snapdragon processor, has a super high-resolution OLED touchscreen, and will be thinner than an iPhone.
This sounds good for speed and battery life.

Google is expected to market the Nexus One directly rather through any wireless carrier partnership. It is expected to be an unlocked GSM-based device which will be available in early 2010--possibly as early as January. If it is, in fact, GSM-based, that means it will work on either the T-Mobile or AT&T networks.
Its great for T-Mo to get a new Android device. T-Mo was the first carrier to have an Android device, G1.

The number of Android-based handsets has exploded this past year. T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon each offer mobile devices built on Android. The most notable of these have been the recent release of the Motorola Cliq with T-Mobile, and the massive unveiling of the Droid from Verizon.
Google competing directly against Android-based devices from third-party manufacturers could ruffle some feathers. HTC, the company rumored to be producing the actual Nexus One hardware, has a variety of its own Android-based handsets planned for 2010, and the Nexus One would compete head-to-head with them.
Competition should make for better devices !!!!!

Vendors like Motorola and Samsung, which have embraced the Android platform, may revolt--or at least shop for a new mobile operating system alternative rather than competing with Google. If the Nexus One is built on Android 2.1 as rumors have suggested, there could also be charges of unfair competition and predatory practices since the current version available to other vendors is Android 2.0.1.
Maybe if Motorola and Samsung would push the updates sooner this would not be a problem.

The FTC might approve If Google markets the device directly, unlocked for use with any GSM-based carrier as suggested. Device exclusivity is a recurring issue and one that the FTC is currently exploring as a part of its widespread attempt to rein in the wireless industry.
Users--both consumers and businesses--may not want to unleash that genie, though. Purchasing directly from Google implies that there won't be any contractual obligation for service, but there also won't be any subsidization of the handset cost. As much as small business customers and consumers complain about contractual commitments and early termination fees, they also enjoy being able to upgrade to the latest technology every couple years without having to pay full price.
The Nexus One may be an attempt by Google to borrow from the Apple playbook. Although the hardware is from HTC, rumors suggest that Google has dictated every last detail of the hardware specifications and is customizing the Android experience to be uniquely Google.
Having no contract will mean that wireless companies will have to work a little harder to keep their customers.

As successful as recent Android-based devices have been, perhaps Google feels that none of them are truly living up to the potential that Android has to offer, and that only Google has the vision to deliver on the promise of Android.
The Nexus One could be Google's 'iPhone'--a pure Android handset straight from the imagination of the Android developers.
Tony Bradley tweets as @PCSecurityNews, and can be contacted at his Facebook page

Google Nexus One Phone Could Break Exclusivity Barriers - PC World Business Center

Even though this sounds like the best Android device to date, I bet within the next year, somethin else will come out that will be even better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones