• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Mail Memory Leak?

jumi

Lurker
Is the HTC Mail memory leak still an issue, i.e. has it been fixed yet? (All threads that reference it are from the beginning of the year; surely some new developments have occurred...?)

In the past two days, my phone's internal storage memory has drastically dropped. Me, being the semi-tech savvy person that I am, did what I was supposed to: deleted extraneous apps, cleared all caches that could be cleared, put all apps on the SD that I could, etc.

I checked out my apps by size and noticed mail was at the the top of the pack at ~40MB. I went into the app, deleted old stuff, fooled around with it. Checked back under Manage Applications, and the Mail file size was now ~90MB... Keep in mind, this was AFTER I deleted everything.

Naturally, I Googled the problem. There was an equal amount of complete befuddlement and round-about solutions...

I have 3 mail accounts synced to HTC mail: one for personal (yahoo), one for school (exchange), and one for android (google). I deleted all the mails, un-synced, etc., and in the Manage Applications window, Mail was still at ~90MB...

I have no idea what to do.

As I said earlier, most results that came up were from earlier this year (Jan/Feb), and the general consensus was that the phone needed to be factory reset. I don't want to have to do this if possible... Have any new things come out about this issue?

Thanks in advance.

TL;DR: I (think I) have the HTC Mail memory leak; what are my options to fix it?
 
Not sure about the "mail issue" however have you tried rebooting the phone? sometimes things don't get cleared out of memory right away. Also restarting the phone will clean up cache. Cache can only be cleaned if it is not running in memory. I personally don't use the Stock email I have a Hotmail email app for my Hotmail and use Gmail for my google. On my wifes LG Optimus S I have Yahoo email installed for her yahoo. These give you way more options with your email than the Stock email app.
 
Yes, I've rebooted numerous times, soft reset, etc. Done everything short of factory resetting, which I really don't want to do...
 
If you were rooted you could delete the stock email and not worry about it. You need to wipe dalvic cache which I don't think you can without being rooted
 
Would I be able to root with only ~25mb of internal storage left? Don't know too much about rooting, never got into it...

Also, could I root to delete what needs to be deleted, then "un-root" back to the way it was?

Thanks in advance.
 
Would I be able to root with only ~25mb of internal storage left? Don't know too much about rooting, never got into it...

Also, could I root to delete what needs to be deleted, then "un-root" back to the way it was?

Thanks in advance.

if you go to my op you will see three links in there the last one is the one you would need to root. It shouldn't matter about space as far as rooting and you only need a small amount for the super user app.

Technically you can do this however the control that being rooted gives you is really nice once you understand how to harness those powers.

Again Read and Understand the Guide. If you have any questions there are a ton of people in the Rooting Section that will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
 
Back
Top Bottom