• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ONE X speed issues

I seen a review online, and the guy stated the same issue as your's! Then repost that he reset the phone to factory default and lag issue no longer exist!

I've tried factory reset like 10 times. but I still have the issue. The phone seems to get faster right after resetting (still has lag with home button and recent app button).

So I don't think that is the solution.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Ive been playing with my phone (HTC One X) and i found that if the following is selected it slows down the phone. It loads everytime i pressed the home button (middle bottom) for about 5secs or longer as i assume its shutting down your previous operation/app. Have a go yourselves:

Go to: 'Settings' - scroll down to 'Developer Options' -scroll down to 'Apps' section - UNCHECK 'Don't keep Activities' and 'Show all ANRS'

That might solve some problems, might not have been selected in the first place.
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
As I said before I'd sent a message to HTC and attached a screenshot of the CPU frequencies after running a simple game that lagged. Their response answers our question but doesn't solve our problem unfortunately :/ He said that a lot of applications don't support multi-core processors and so the power isn't used. I'm not giving up yet so I'll keep you posted.
What might work for people with lagging home screens is if you go to settings, apps, all, scroll down to HTC sense, clear data + clear cache, then switch off your phone for 30 seconds or so, it should clear things up.

Reactions: gibbs1984
Upvote 0
As I said before I'd sent a message to HTC and attached a screenshot of the CPU frequencies after running a simple game that lagged. Their response answers our question but doesn't solve our problem unfortunately :/ He said that a lot of applications don't support multi-core processors and so the power isn't used. I'm not giving up yet so I'll keep you posted.
What might work for people with lagging home screens is if you go to settings, apps, all, scroll down to HTC sense, clear data + clear cache, then switch off your phone for 30 seconds or so, it should clear things up.
I'm sorry but that is a sh*t response from HTC, either don't release a phone when the majority of apps won't use the power or design a phone (along with the processor) that can couple perfectly with dual core apps and quad core apps etc, I bet Samsung don't release a quad core phone that can't handle normal apps properly.

Trying the clear data and restart, hopefully it works.

Sorry, didn't want it to seem like I was having a go at you ;) :D

EDIT: Clearing data and the cache from Sense seems to have helped, will have to see what it's like when I put all my folders back on, if it didn't clear all my homescreens then I wouldn't mind this as a temporary fix, good shout though.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but that is a sh*t response from HTC, either don't release a phone when the majority of apps won't use the power or design a phone (along with the processor) that can couple perfectly with dual core apps and quad core apps etc, I bet Samsung don't release a quad core phone that can't handle normal apps properly.

Trying the clear data and restart, hopefully it works.

Sorry, didn't want it to seem like I was having a go at you ;) :D

EDIT: Clearing data and the cache from Sense seems to have helped, will have to see what it's like when I put all my folders back on, if it didn't clear all my homescreens then I wouldn't mind this as a temporary fix, good shout though.

Actually, Moto gave the same crappy response about bugginess with the tegra 2 processor. And to many extents they are correct- the hardware is something that developers need to program toward or take into account, but when the manufacturer's own apps are buggy, that is just poor workmanship on their part.

Upvote 0
But surely the processor to resort to being a dual core phone when the other two cores aren't needed so that dual core apps work, no?

Logically- one would think so. But given nVidia's history last year with the tegra 2, I think they probably have the drivers/kernel/firmware written to just scale between single core and quad core and companion ("+1") modes, based on response from the app's coded need/usage request...
Tegra 2 would sometimes display similar symptoms where one core was running itself hard and the other core was barely doing anything- causing single core-like stutters; while tegra-optimized games played just fine (the THD games were likely coded in a way to trigger use of the second core).

It seems like the cores can't scale and divide workload based on usage/need intervally, but rather have a couple of steps that they can just bounce between (namely single core; all-core; and companion core)...

One would think nVidia could fix that, but I don't know much about processor scaling and the kernel/low-level/firmware code behind it- maybe there's a reason why they can't...

Upvote 0
Perhaps my post from the Evo 4G LTE forum can help clarify -

Android = Linux + Dalvik Virtual Machine + apps that run inside the Dalvik and use Linux services

The magic for multi core use happens at kernel level, that's a part of Linux.

Works like this - in programming, a developer can conceive of his solution to sometimes have some subprocesses that _could_ run in parallel, but managed properly, don't have to. The programming techniques for that are now old and well-established. The Android Developers website even walks devs though the overall how-to.

The potentially parallel processes are put into what programmers call threads. Just like in this forum, we have parallel threads about the screen, audio, etc, making up the whole conversation, similar concept.

So what happens to the threads at runtime?

The kernel decides how to load-balance across cores, Linux has been doing this for a long time.

This is why Android dual cores showed an advantage from day one.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/381826-dual-cores-anyone-taking-advantage-them.html

Unlike iOS, apps don't get multiple core optimized. They are either written properly in the first place or they're not.

A key point of ICS is the upgrade to the Linux 3 kernel. This is far more efficient at task scheduling than before, especially for multiple cores.

So, if someone says that they have to optimize an app for quad core use, what they really said is, fix broken thread design in the first place.

When you think about these factors, you can begin to see that benchmarks are becoming less relevant than before - they tie less to real world applications from the cpu side.

A single S4 cpu core is at least twice as powerful as a single T3 core. Depending on the user's choice of apps with the two cores side by side, you will correctly judge either the S4 or T3 to be faster, or both equal.

As for the T3 having faster graphics: _maybe_.

Graphics benchmarks show programmers which graphic library functions may be more effective on which processors.

Neither cpu nor gpu benchmarks can tell you which horse is faster. It's an urban myth that they do.

Both the S4 and T3 represent the same order of magnitude upgrade over the single and dual core phones we use today. I would be equally happy with either.

Disclaimer - I'm a Qualcomm fan, prefer it to the ARM architecture that everyone else uses.

If this were a Tegra issue, everyone would be screwed because you can't change hardware. The good news is that this sounds like a kernel issue and that can be cured with an update.

The kernel for the One X is an HTC product, based on the Linux / Android kernel.

There will always be poorly coded apps. Nothing that a good kernel and processor can do about those.

Upvote 0

If this were a Tegra issue, everyone would be screwed because you can't change hardware. The good news is that this sounds like a kernel issue and that can be cured with an update.

The kernel for the One X is an HTC product, based on the Linux / Android kernel.

There will always be poorly coded apps. Nothing that a good kernel and processor can do about those.
Well put, and thanks for the fairly in-depth clarification!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

@EarlyMon, do you know of a reason for the apparent stair-stepping (or rather, a reason for the apparent gaps between steps)? Instead of scaling from companion core to single core to double core to quad core (the logical progression) as needed, it seems to jump from companion to single to quad, and reside mostly on single (I suppose not reaching whatever threshold to kick over to 4 cores). In other words, would the coding for the thresholds for the steps be at the kernel or firmware/"driver" the kernel calls into action?

At any rate, I completely agree that this is theoretically fixable via update or custom ROM (eventually) and not a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
First, is it possible to go from companion to single to dual to quad core use? Answer, yes, that's part of the T3 design.

According to nVidia, the CPU manager will switch on all 4 main cores when it senses peak load conditions (they cite games as an example), but only 2 cores for a heavy load (they cite Flash web browsing as the example).

I am not sure how you're monitoring cores, but try this - go into airplane mode and either run the original Angry Birds or turn off airplane and try some web browsing. Not 100% sure, but I think that may top out at two cores.

Again, the kernel will be involved.

Note that nVidia wrote their papers assuming Honeycomb, not ICS (with its changed kernel involving task management) plus Sense.

I should guess that any phone syncing mail, social data, weather, etc etc, and then running anything even slightly intensive on top of that may be triggering the peak load point to the CPU Manager.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
First, is it possible to go from companion to single to dual to quad core use? Answer, yes, that's part of the T3 design.

According to nVidia, the CPU manager will switch on all 4 main cores when it senses peak load conditions (they cite games as an example), but only 2 cores for a heavy load (they cite Flash web browsing as the example).

I am not sure how you're monitoring cores, but try this - go into airplane mode and either run the original Angry Birds or turn off airplane and try some web browsing. Not 100% sure, but I think that may top out at two cores.

Again, the kernel will be involved.

Note that nVidia wrote their papers assuming Honeycomb, not ICS (with its changed kernel involving task management) plus Sense.

I should guess that any phone syncing mail, social data, weather, etc etc, and then running anything even slightly intensive on top of that may be triggering the peak load point to the CPU Manager.

Hope this helps! :)
@Early Thanks again! I don't have the phone yet to change test methods (I'm waiting for the LTE Krait version before I pounce on this beast), but I have been watching the thread here and a few rogue comments over at XDA all reporting similar results from the "CPU spy" apps and system monitors. And my Atrix (Tegra 2) has similar issues scaling between single and dual cores (resulting in stutters and occasional overheating), even with apps that were supposedly "optimized" by allowing multi-threading (stutters not noticed on my dual-core Galaxy Nexus).

I really hope enough of these sell that HTC can pressure nVidia into working with them and quickly addressing what people are seeing though.

Upvote 0
@Early Thanks again! I don't have the phone yet to change test methods (I'm waiting for the LTE Krait version before I pounce on this beast), but I have been watching the thread here and a few rogue comments over at XDA all reporting similar results from the "CPU spy" apps and system monitors. And my Atrix (Tegra 2) has similar issues scaling between single and dual cores (resulting in stutters and occasional overheating), even with apps that were supposedly "optimized" by allowing multi-threading (stutters not noticed on my dual-core Galaxy Nexus).

I've seen none of that on my S3. I'm not the whole market, but the general forum consensus for the S3 on various models is positive without those symptoms. I expect the same of the S4.

I really hope enough of these sell that HTC can pressure nVidia into working with them and quickly addressing what people are seeing though.

I doubt that any pressure at all is required, all of the players have a vested interest in success.

For the fix to happen, they need to be aware that the problem is real.

Here's how to let them know -

you should consider contacting HTC directly through their email support website:

HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support

Please be as specific as possible, including the serial number it asks for toward the bottom of the form (found on the phone under the battery), what version of Android/Sense you are running (found at Settings > About Phone > Software information> Software number), and a detailed description of your problem.

If your problem is a known issue, meaning lots of other people are complaining about the same thing, please still submit the email with HTC so that they know that it is a widespread issue. This will help them prioritize their fixes.

If you're not sure if your problem is worthy of reporting, feel free to use these forums to bring it up, and members can chime in to see if it's something that can be fixed or if there's really a problem with the phone.

Upvote 0
I've seen none of that on my S3. I'm not the whole market, but the general forum consensus for the S3 on various models is positive without those symptoms. I expect the same of the S4.
S3? Tegra 3? It seems most who install and run a CPU spy app or CPU Tuner can see the stairsteps, (See r4jin and Lukeyy96 's posts near the top of this thread), and for the stuttering I am going off of the videos the OP posted and my knowledge with my Atrix. There are a handful of posts saying similar things over at XDA using the same type CPU monitoring apps. I don't know that it would manifest itself for every use case, but I would wager that anyone who installs those apps for monitoring and then load their system will see the same maxing of a single core.

I doubt that any pressure at all is required, all of the players have a vested interest in success.

For the fix to happen, they need to be aware that the problem is real.

Here's how to let them know -
I agree that they need to know, so when an issue is noticed we do need to flood their inboxes... But remember they define success in sales figures generating revenue, not necessarily lack of complaints. So if people researching devices see the complaints on here and do not buy, that will get their attention; complaints on here will not (and hence your point about letting them know, just to connect the dots).

Upvote 0
I was referring to the S3 by Qualcomm, previous generation dual core, to set expectations for the next generation, S4.

Cores are not like overflow valves - fill one, the next kicks in, and so forth - not like that. Load balancing is quite different on the Qualcomm processors because the cores run at independent clock speeds. I've monitored mine extensively - it simply doesn't work like a synchronous-clock multi-core common to all ARM Cortex designs (read: all Tegra).

One thing that multi cores do have in common regardless of maker - clock speeds jump in increments, along with voltage provided to ensure the processor runs at that speed.

There is a whole lot of misinformation and speculation and conclusions drawn from speculations in some of the XDA threads. The best post simply referenced this -

http://www.nvidia.fr/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/tegra-whitepaper-0911a.pdf

Load balancing is a function of the kernel, the Tegra 3 CPU Manager and the apps.

The Tegra 3 has already acquitted itself quite well. That leaves the kernel and the apps.

Tegra 3 = 5 identical cores, but the companion core is clocked to a max of 500 MHz.

If the apps in question are single threaded, or designed improperly, things will tend to lump up into one core. A better kernel could fix that by having all Linux services distribute a bit better.

Remember - when you think that you are running just one app, you are likely running upwards of 40 to 60 tasks, for real-world phone configurations.

I'm not saying that the problem isn't real - just where to look for the fixes. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I've lost all faith in the One X and HTC's solutions. I'm taking it back tomorrow for a replacement to see if all One Xs are the same. If so, I'll demand a refund so I can maybe buy the Galaxy Note. Never thought I'd say it but the One X has really let me down.
Guys, get your phone and set a live background, then try navigation aross the home screen. Watch the background, it's heart-breaking :/

Upvote 0
I was referring to the S3 by Qualcomm, previous generation dual core, to set expectations for the next generation, S4.

Cores are not like overflow valves - fill one, the next kicks in, and so forth - not like that. Load balancing is quite different on the Qualcomm processors because the cores run at independent clock speeds. I've monitored mine extensively - it simply doesn't work like a synchronous-clock multi-core common to all ARM Cortex designs (read: all Tegra).

One thing that multi cores do have in common regardless of maker - clock speeds jump in increments, along with voltage provided to ensure the processor runs at that speed.

There is a whole lot of misinformation and speculation and conclusions drawn from speculations in some of the XDA threads. The best post simply referenced this -

http://www.nvidia.fr/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/tegra-whitepaper-0911a.pdf

Load balancing is a function of the kernel, the Tegra 3 CPU Manager and the apps.

The Tegra 3 has already acquitted itself quite well. That leaves the kernel and the apps.

Tegra 3 = 5 identical cores, but the companion core is clocked to a max of 500 MHz.

If the apps in question are single threaded, or designed improperly, things will tend to lump up into one core. A better kernel could fix that by having all Linux services distribute a bit better.

Remember - when you think that you are running just one app, you are likely running upwards of 40 to 60 tasks, for real-world phone configurations.

I'm not saying that the problem isn't real - just where to look for the fixes. ;) :)
thanks for the clarification man, but I guess what I am dancing around is: that at some point the colonel should say hey we're running at 900 megahertz maybe I should start pushing out threads to other cores, and the evidence coming in from users post seemed to indicate that that is not happening, just like with a Tegra 2; I think the issue is the software in between the kernel and the processor.
I realize that there might be different kernels reviews between the different devices, actually there has to be because of the different drivers, but for me it seems that nvidia is having more trouble with this the other manufactures.

I agree with what you're saying and I appreciate your expertise in this because it's much more in depth than what I have, but I am placing the blame with the software that the kernel is calling upon.

Upvote 0
thanks for the clarification man, but I guess what I am dancing around is: that at some point the colonel should say hey we're running at 900 megahertz maybe I should start pushing out threads to other cores, and the evidence coming in from users post seemed to indicate that that is not happening, just like with a Tegra 2; I think the issue is the software in between the kernel and the processor.
I realize that there might be different kernels reviews between the different devices, actually there has to be because of the different drivers, but for me it seems that nvidia is having more trouble with this the other manufactures.

I agree with what you're saying and I appreciate your expertise in this because it's much more in depth than what I have, but I am placing the blame with the software that the kernel is calling upon.

Perhaps.

But good kernels work wonders.

Example, the Atrix complaints I've heard are not shared by Photon users - both have the Tegra 2. In fact, most Photon users are adamant about its snappy, lag-free performance. No idea why Motorola hasn't squared that away so both models perform the same, but there it is.

I'm quite used to seeing launch day or launch week or launch month updates from HTC, so much so that I expect some out of box problems until users feedback what's wrong.

HTC still has a great update record and they do listen.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the troubles, hope it all works out and you get the phone you need.

It's all Android and we're all in this together, so I'm pulling for you regardless of your phone choice.
It's nice to know there are some greatly helpful people in communities like these! Cheers for the support :) I'll be with Android no matter what, iOS will never bring the freedom that Android has to offer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones