• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I no longer receive text messages

Hello,
I have a rooted HTC Evo 4G with the smelkus MOD (MOD link) and I'm having troubles receiving text messages. I've tried reading up on how to fix it, but I don't understand the full steps involved.

Symptoms/What happened:
I recently downloaded an app which filled up my phone's memory. I then received an error message when trying to send a text saying my memory was full. So, I moved the app to my SD card, and deleted 75% of my text messages to clear up space. Since that date I haven't received any text message even though I can still send them out.

How I've tried to fix it:
1) First I tried calling Sprint support. They tried re-setting my profile. That did nothing.
2) Then they told me to do a Factory Data Reset, and I realized I had to get off the phone because I didn't know how to do it on a rooted phone. I got off the line with the Sprint rep, and started digging online. I completed the factory data reset through recovery. Didn't fix it.
3) I found this link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7959993&postcount=2). However, I don't know what they mean by the "Correct APN files". In any case, I backed up all my stuff to my computer, and did a full data wipe. I don't know what ROM I should get to fix this APN issue (whatever that means). The full data wipe did not fix my issue.

Frustrations with finding some answer online:
I've been researching this for almost a week. I see a lot of posts already created for this type of issue, but they're for different phones, and I keep running into forum requests which aren't answered. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this.

Thank you in advance,
brichards49

Hello,
I have a rooted HTC Evo 4G with the smelkus MOD (MOD link) and I'm having troubles receiving text messages. I've tried reading up on how to fix it, but I don't understand the full steps involved.

Symptoms/What happened:
I recently downloaded an app which filled up my phone's memory. I then received an error message when trying to send a text saying my memory was full. So, I moved the app to my SD card, and deleted 75% of my text messages to clear up space. Since that date I haven't received any text message even though I can still send them out.

How I've tried to fix it:
1) First I tried calling Sprint support. They tried re-setting my profile. That did nothing.
2) Then they told me to do a Factory Data Reset, and I realized I had to get off the phone because I didn't know how to do it on a rooted phone. I got off the line with the Sprint rep, and started digging online. I completed the factory data reset through recovery. Didn't fix it.
3) I found this link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7959993&postcount=2). However, I don't know what they mean by the "Correct APN files". In any case, I backed up all my stuff to my computer, and did a full data wipe. I don't know what ROM I should get to fix this APN issue (whatever that means). The full data wipe did not fix my issue.

Frustrations with finding some answer online:
I've been researching this for almost a week. I see a lot of posts already created for this type of issue, but they're for different phones, and I keep running into forum requests which aren't answered. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this.

Thank you in advance,
brichards49
Hello there brichards!
What rom are you currently on? What app that you downloaded filled your memory and is that the app you moved to the sd card?
Can I assume after the reset, you have no apps install right now? (other than what was in the rom):)

I'm not quite sure on the ROM. However, other than using the MOD, I haven't changed away from gingerbread. I think that's what you mean.

The app I downloaded was "The Curse".

The app worked correctly when I opened it. The Curse is an app which contains 100 different puzzles and is quite entertaining. I deleted the The Curse app prior to doing the wipe. The absence of that app did not restore my settings.

Yes, my phone is now clear of all apps, and is now at the stock setting. I did save all of my phone's files to my computer prior to wiping it (including a titanium backup and I ran the smelkus backup). However, I haven't restored anything.

So, at this point, the only issue is receiving texts...(you can send them) ?
Stock messaging app I would presume?
Have you tried another messaging app?
I would assume your sd card is not partitioned, as you said you ran out of memory.
Are there any apps on the sd card now? When you did a factory reset, they are probably still on there (granted, only part of the app)...try deleting those as you dont have those on the phone memory anymore.

Or, imo, flash another rom :)

Thanks for the re-direction. I do not intend to create sticky situations.

I did the PRL update & Profile update when on the phone with the sprint personnel. Additionally, I just re-updated the PRL then profile, then restarted.

The only issue is receiving texts. I can send texts, receive phone calls, and surf the web no problem. I have been using the stock messaging app as well.

My SD card was not partitioned, and I have no downloaded apps on my phone. Only the ones which come with my phone, and even they do not have the current updates. After the factory data reset didn't work, I completed a full data wipe.

I can start looking into the new ROM. I haven't done any research into what would be good for my phone.

Thanks for the re-direction. I do not intend to create sticky situations.

I did the PRL update & Profile update when on the phone with the sprint personnel. Additionally, I just re-updated the PRL then profile, then restarted.

The only issue is receiving texts. I can send texts, receive phone calls, and surf the web no problem. I have been using the stock messaging app as well.

My SD card was not partitioned, and I have no downloaded apps on my phone. Only the ones which come with my phone, and even they do not have the current updates. After the factory data reset didn't work, I completed a full data wipe.

I can start looking into the new ROM. I haven't done any research into what would be good for my phone.
Gotcha, just for giggles, download GosmsPro and try that to receive texts.:)

Ok, I tried GO SMS Pro, and got some interesting results. When I signed up, they sent me a text message with my username and info. They also sent me a text message from my own number. I received both of those texts in my stock messaging app, and GOsms. Then I sent a text from a different phone to myself, and did not receive that message.

It's interesting that I received their texts, but not the one sent through normal channels.

Ok, I tried GO SMS Pro, and got some interesting results. When I signed up, they sent me a text message with my username and info. They also sent me a text message from my own number. I received both of those texts in my stock messaging app, and GOsms. Then I sent a text from a different phone to myself, and did not receive that message.

It's interesting that I received their texts, but not the one sent through normal channels.
hmmm, that is interesting. Do you have another friend with another phone that you can have send you a text?

I have a work phone which is an iPhone. I can send myself a text whenever needed.
Perhaps it is a prob. with your phone receiving the text from the Iphone or is it other phones that send texts to you, and not receiving them.:) Occasionally, my wife, who has an Iphone, will text me and I will not get it.
Thats why I asked is all ;)

weird, i think that the next step should be to flash another rom. go here http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html and go to the staff picks for some really good suggestions on roms. i would suggest mikg3.11.

not sure if this will work but it is worth a try.

do you need help flashing a rom? if so then go here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html. go to the second post for info on how to flash a rom

Awesomesauce!!
I installed the MikG v3.11 rom, and it works!!
I didn't receive all of my texts from when it initially stopped working, but all of the "test" messages I've been sending myself over the past couple of days came through. I've also had my coworker send me a text after it all synchronized and his text came through immediately.

Now, the next step is to partition my SD card so I have more space for in phone memory. However, that's a different forum, so I'll look into it.

Thank you very much!

Side note - I see that swap is used to increase the ram of a phone (if the kernel supports SWAP). But I can't tell if MikG v3.11 has a kernel which supports SWAP. I purchased a 64 Gig SD card from amazon (link to card specs), so I have the space to dedicate as much space to Ram as needed.

PS, the above messaging issue happened after I purchased the SD card, but before it arrived. So I had to wait a few days to get it fixed before working on the new SD card.

Side note - I see that swap is used to increase the ram of a phone (if the kernel supports SWAP). But I can't tell if MikG v3.11 has a kernel which supports SWAP. I purchased a 64 Gig SD card from amazon (link to card specs), so I have the space to dedicate as much space to Ram as needed.

PS, the above messaging issue happened after I purchased the SD card, but before it arrived. So I had to wait a few days to get it fixed before working on the new SD card.

to be honest most kernels do not support swap that is available for the og evo. if you partition you sd card you will tons of space and then some especially if you move dalvik cache to the sd card.

Back
Top Bottom