• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I really need help figuring this out.. USB Problems

tcbcsm

Hey guys TCB here, I need help!

I rooted my phone and unlocked it used the all in one tool kit.There is no OS installed on the mobile, I installed a rom in twrp than after it as done, it boot looped than locked up and I accidentally deleted the OS

my phone is htc one s (s4)

I can get into bootloader / fastboot menu I can get into twrp, when I connect usb it says "fastboot usb in red" in the fastboot boot loader menu so that should be connected but its not. Only time it connects is in twrp, my computer will detect "htc mtp device" it shows up fine in device manager, but after about 10 secs the device is no longer be detected and yellow ! will show over "htc mtp device" in device manager. What is weird even more is I can run certain command with adb " adb devices" tells me its connected but it wont sideload or fastboot , it just says "waiting for device". I can restart the usb by "adb usb", it will temporary install and run but 10sec or so later is disconnects and yellow! will show over "htc mtp device" in the device manager. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Is my phone a hard brick now?

Please help me.

Thank you very much.

Did you install all the drivers or correct drivers. When you was done did you reboot your PC/laptop . before you started any task . the reboot will kill all background task . and last do you have the correct twrp installed

Do you have another ROM to flash so we can get you the correct firmware (ruu) also who is the carrier

I been looking all over, carrier is fido which is rogers at&t radio number 1.11.50.05.28, problem is how can we flash if my computer wont connect? :confused::confused:

Slow down and let's go by the numbers.

When you say that you accidentally erased the OS - do you mean that you went into TWRP, selected advanced wipe, checked all of the boxes and then committed that?

When you talk about usb mode, you're not being clear.

When you go into TWRP, advanced, and connect by usb there, what happens?

Please take your time and answer as specifically as you can.

Slow down and let's go by the numbers.

When you say that you accidentally erased the OS - do you mean that you went into TWRP, selected advanced wipe, checked all of the boxes and then committed that?

When you talk about usb mode, you're not being clear.

When you go into TWRP, advanced, and connect by usb there, what happens?

Please take your time and answer as specifically as you can.

Yes in TWRP, after the boot loop I went into TWRP and used the wipe function cause basically the rom I used only half installed I think, cause it gave me errors.

USB mode I mean I cant connect from my computer, it only connects in TWRP for about 20 to 30 second than windows pops up saying " Device driver software was not successfully installed". Some adb functions work but the not the one I need to use. When I boot to the hboot menu and go to fastboot is does change to fastboot usb in red but there is no detection of the driver from my computer. I took some screen shots of my comp to show but I keep getting an upload error.

In TWRP I can mount and the drive and it will show up on my computer as a portable device I formatted it in fat32. I can move files and it will show up in /sdcard/ file manager on TWRP so that tells me the computer is making a connection its rather confusing to me. USB will stay connected if im in mount, other than that TWRP only will detect USB for about 20 to 30 seconds.

Have you ever come across this kind of thing before? if it be easy to just call me I can explain or even give you access to my system I just wanna get this fixed I have no cell. I have US skype number I can talk to you on.

Thanks.

We just need to clear up some terms and can probably get it sorted out.

When you connect via USB from TWRP, you're not going to be using adb.

The point of that is to connect your phone as a storage unit to your PC - so you can copy over a rom, and install it, for example.

An adb connection only works when you're up and running normally.

So - forget about adb for the time being.

When you connect usb via TWRP, it connects as an MTP device and then disconnects if you do nothing? Is that correct?

TWRP detecting usb - I don't know what you mean by that. Does it show up on your PC in your file explorer?

Do you have HTC Sync installed?

We just need to clear up some terms and can probably get it sorted out.

When you connect via USB from TWRP, you're not going to be using adb.

The point of that is to connect your phone as a storage unit to your PC - so you can copy over a rom, and install it, for example.

An adb connection only works when you're up and running normally.

So - forget about adb for the time being.

When you connect usb via TWRP, it connects as an MTP device and then disconnects if you do nothing? Is that correct?

TWRP detecting usb - I don't know what you mean by that. Does it show up on your PC in your file explorer?

Do you have HTC Sync installed?

In TWRP it disconnects after about 20 to 30 seconds the "htc mtp device" yellows ! in device manager. I can still see the portable drive though and access it, it shows as a portable device k: fully functional if I mount in TWRP.

Yes I do have HTC Sync installed the latest drivers

What is your email I will send you screenshots. Forum wont let me upload for some reason.

Did you install all the drivers or correct drivers. When you was done did you reboot your PC/laptop . before you started any task . the reboot will kill all background task . and last do you have the correct twrp installed

Sorry I missed this my mouse scrolled down past it to fast. I installed the latest HTC SYNC and drivers, did reboot.

TWRP installed is v2.4.3

Here is the method I tried to install after the All in one tool I used that messed this up. This is the reason I said I needed ADB and Fastboot cause it has to be used.

HTC One S Android 4.4.2 Update - Android Panel

I originally followed this guys youtube vid showing me how to use the all in one tool kit, everything was fine till TWRP installed the rom. So I thought I could fix it and it only made it worst.

Yes, TWRP is going to try to mount your internal storage as a normal usb stick, even though it would usually mount via mtp.

So, can you see the storage as the k: drive then and is that stable?

yes Its stable. I got the log from TWRP how can I send it to you? I open in text its all messed up looking.

I have the log It wont let me upload anything to here.

Installing '/sdcard/Liquid-Kitkat-v3.0-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip'...
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
Warning: No file_contexts
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
\ ) ( )\ ) )\ )
(()/ ( ( )\ ( (()/((()/(
(_)) ((_) (_)_) /((_)(_)) (_))
| | (_) / _ \ (_))( |_ _| | \
| |__ | || (_) || || | | | | |) |
|____||_| \__\_\ \_,_||___| |___/
<%%% Liquid-Kitkat %%%>
<%%% By LiquidSmooth %%%>
Erasing System...
error: make_ext4fs: open: No such file or directory
longjmp botch.
E:Error in /sdcard/Liquid-Kitkat-v3.0-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip
(Status 0)
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/Liquid-Kitkat-v3.0-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip'
Updating partition details...
I:Unable to mount '/usb-otg'
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'vfat'
I:Set page: 'flash_done'
I:Set page: 'clear_vars'
I:Set page: 'install'
I:Set page: 'main'
I:Set page: 'main2'
I:Set page: 'wipe'
I:Set page: 'confirm_action'
I:Set page: 'action_page'
Formatting Cache using mke2fs...
I:mke2fs command: mke2fs -t ext4 -m 0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p34
mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Done.
I:Recreating /cache/recovery folder.
I:Version number saved to '/cache/recovery/.version'
I:Set page: 'action_complete'

Wiping Dalvik Cache Directories...
Cleaned: /data/dalvik-cache...
-- Dalvik Cache Directories Wipe Complete!

I:Set page: 'advanced'
I:Copying file /tmp/recovery.log to /sdcard/recovery.log
Copied recovery log to /sdcard.
I:Set page: 'install'
I:fix permissions started!
I:Mount: Unable to find partition for path '/sd-ext'
Can't check permissions
after Factory Reset.
Please boot rom and try
again after you reboot into
recovery.
I:Unmounting main partitions...
Done.

I:Copying file /tmp/recovery.log to /sdcard/recovery.log

yes Its stable. I got the log from TWRP how can I send it to you? I open in text its all messed up looking.

I have the log It wont let me upload anything to here.

Ok, stop here, because hopefully you're not in half the trouble than that you think you are.

Please just go along with me, I've done this for literally many hundreds if not thousands in your shoes. Don't go off on what you think comes next. Just relax okay? :)

Here's how it works -

You upload the rom you want via the k: drive to the phone.

You eject the k: drive.

You unmount usb from TWRP.

You install the rom.

Unless you need to also install the boot image, you're done, working and happy.

Now, before you begin - tell me where you got your rom from that started the trouble.

I mean the link to the forum post where it came from.

I have tried other roms I get the same errors as in the log above, that one said I need to fastboot the boot.img thats why I thought I needed fastboot.

Where do you suggest I get another working rom?

I have tried other roms I get the same errors as in the log above, that one said I need to fastboot the boot.img thats why I thought I needed fastboot.

Where do you suggest I get another working rom?

Only get a rom for your model matching your firmware layout. Use threads here or at XDA, but only for the GSM HTC One S.

Your particular phone is unlocked but still has the HTC signature security (s-on) in place, that's why you need to fastboot flash the kernel.

The explanation in the following link will work just fine for you if you follow the instructions for Option 1, even though it's for another HTC One model -

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4862024

So - choose a GSM HTC One S rom from here or XDA, copy and install it as mentioned in my earlier post, then - do not try to reboot the phone normally.

Boot into the bootloader, and follow the linked instructions to install the kernel (iow, the boot.img file) and you'll be home free.

I don't have your particular HTC so I can't advise on a particular rom.

But once you get the hang of flash rom with TWRP, then fastboot flash boot image, you'll be good to go and try various ones to get what you like best.

Only get a rom for your model matching your firmware layout. Use threads here or at XDA, but only for the GSM HTC One S.

Your particular phone is unlocked but still has the HTC signature security (s-on) in place, that's why you need to fastboot flash the kernel.

The explanation in the following link will work just fine for you if you follow the instructions for Option 1, even though it's for another HTC One model -

[how-to] install kernels with S-ON h-boot 1.15+ - Android Forums

So - choose a GSM HTC One S rom from here or XDA, copy and install it as mentioned in my earlier post, then - do not try to reboot the phone normally.

Boot into the bootloader, and follow the linked instructions to install the kernel (iow, the boot.img file) and you'll be home free.

But once you get the hang of flash rom with TWRP, then fastboot flash boot image, you'll be good to go and try various ones to get what you like best.

ok but the problem is USB is not detected in bootloader so I cant use the fastboot usb in red.

[how-to] install kernels with S-ON h-boot 1.15+ - Android Forums

Option one needs fastboot.. It doesnt detect I have ran that command and its says " waiting for device "

F:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot boo
t.img
< waiting for device >

Im thinking Im screwed

Option one need fastboot.. It doesnt detect I have ran that command and its says " waiting for device "

F:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot boo
t.img
< waiting for device >

Im thinking Im screwed

No, fastboot is a bootloader mode. You have it. I promise.

Did you boot into your bootloader?

Don't worry about what your PC file explorer says when your phone is in fastboot - it's not going to show up anywhere.

No, fastboot is a bootloader mode. You have it. I promise.

Did you boot into your bootloader?

Don't worry about what your PC file explorer says when your phone is in fastboot - it's not going to show up anywhere.

I know fastboot is in bootloader problem is it doesnt detect usb to win7 so I cant do perform any fastboot commands needed.

I know fastboot is in bootloader problem is it doesnt detect so I cant do any fastboot commands needed.

You may be right but I have no idea what you mean when you say it's not detected.

So, you could copy files to your phone in TWRP today so your drivers and usb cable are good.

And your phone says "fastboot" on the screen?

I can go to the bootloader vol down pressing power button and when I plug in the usb the red fastboot usb comes up, but I cant run any command from cmd on it doesn't detect the device. And that option one you told me to follow I have to run the fastboot flash boot boot.img and when I do that it says

< waiting for device >

Back
Top Bottom