• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I was rooted a year ago, but problems with SuperUser are occuring now.

Hello,
My computer repair friend rooted my phone almost a year ago. I watched him run quite a few steps, and I have no idea what they were. Definitely wasn't the "One Click" solution which users have now.

In any case, I have an HTC EVO 4G, Android Version 2.3.3 and several months ago they asked me to upgrade my version/software. I said yes, (which I now know I shouldn't have), and it simply said something to the effect of "you can't do that". My phone started up okay, and I chalked it up to a failed attempt as everything went on normally. It occasionally asks me to update, but now I say cancel/no every time.

I haven't done anything ROM related since I first rooted the phone, and have only been reading up on rooting terminology the last week. I want to update and "sleekify" my phone, but I'm having some problems. If I try to download a rom from my ROM Manager app:
1) it says "you must have clockwork mod recovery installed first"
2) i click install and choose the phone model
3) after a process bar it says "an error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!"

I've researched that error, and it seems people only get that error when they're installing everything. I'm way past that stage and this brings me to my main point, Superuser (SU).

SU does not add apps to its list. I've went to the settings and changed the auto response to "Prompt", "Deny", and "Allow". These make no difference as nothing happens. One forum said a way to fix this is uninstall updates for SU, then reinstall the updates. After I ran these updates it cleared all of my apps from the SU list (ex. titanium backup (TB) was removed). Now when I run TB it says "sorry, could not acquire root privileges." Additionally SU has no log for the attempt on root privileges and TB doesn't show on the app list as approved or denied...

I don't know how to restore my phone to working condition. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've researched "un-rooting" the phone then rooting it again, but I'm worried I will need SU permission to "un-root"...

Can anyone help?

Hello,
My computer repair friend rooted my phone almost a year ago. I watched him run quite a few steps, and I have no idea what they were. Definitely wasn't the "One Click" solution which users have now.

In any case, I have an HTC EVO 4G, Android Version 2.3.3 and several months ago they asked me to upgrade my version/software. I said yes, (which I now know I shouldn't have), and it simply said something to the effect of "you can't do that". My phone started up okay, and I chalked it up to a failed attempt as everything went on normally. It occasionally asks me to update, but now I say cancel/no every time.

I haven't done anything ROM related since I first rooted the phone, and have only been reading up on rooting terminology the last week. I want to update and "sleekify" my phone, but I'm having some problems. If I try to download a rom from my ROM Manager app:
1) it says "you must have clockwork mod recovery installed first"
2) i click install and choose the phone model
3) after a process bar it says "an error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!"

I've researched that error, and it seems people only get that error when they're installing everything. I'm way past that stage and this brings me to my main point, Superuser (SU).

SU does not add apps to its list. I've went to the settings and changed the auto response to "Prompt", "Deny", and "Allow". These make no difference as nothing happens. One forum said a way to fix this is uninstall updates for SU, then reinstall the updates. After I ran these updates it cleared all of my apps from the SU list (ex. titanium backup (TB) was removed). Now when I run TB it says "sorry, could not acquire root privileges." Additionally SU has no log for the attempt on root privileges and TB doesn't show on the app list as approved or denied...

I don't know how to restore my phone to working condition. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've researched "un-rooting" the phone then rooting it again, but I'm worried I will need SU permission to "un-root"...

Can anyone help?
Welcome to the forums!
I think we need to start with what your bootloader screen says.
Make sure fastboot is unchecked...menu/settings/applications
Either power phone down or pull battery....while holding volume down button, push and hold power button. Your bootloader screen will come up...then post what is says..:)
You can reboot from that screen when done

Edit: @ocn...do you think he lost recovery when at his first attempt to, what I assume is an OTA update that failed?

My friend who rooted the phone says he used "UnrEVOked"

-Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-(gives numbers)
Mar 8 2011, (gives time)

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

My friend who rooted the phone says he used "UnrEVOked"

-Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-(gives numbers)
Mar 8 2011, (gives time)

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB
It appears your friend used the Revolutionary to root, which is fine...that's how I did mine.
When you click on the "recovery" option, does it boot you into recovery?
And if so, what recovery do you have?
If it is clockworkmod, we recommend changing that to either Amon ra as ocn suggested, or smelkus, which andy suggested.
Both are nice, smelkus gives you more options...(I use smelkus)
You can click on my sig in my first post to go to the smelkus thread to install smelkus if you desire:)
Then I think we need to get you the su .zip file.

interesting, it goes blue and says this below: I'm not sure what mod that

Revolutionary CWM v4.0.1.4
- reboot system now
- apply update from sdcard
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- install zip from sdcard
- backup and restore
- moutns and storage
- advance
- power off
- +++++Go Back+++++

interesting, it goes blue and says this below: I'm not sure what mod that

Revolutionary CWM v4.0.1.4
- reboot system now
- apply update from sdcard
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- install zip from sdcard
- backup and restore
- moutns and storage
- advance
- power off
- +++++Go Back+++++
o.k...that is clockwork
Lets change that....go to my sig. in my first post in this thread....
click on that to bring you to the smelkus recovery page....
Do you know how to install a new recovery?
If not, the instructions are listed on that page also, otherwise I/we can also guide you too.:D

Unfortunately I'm at work, and left my USB connector/charger at home. I should be able to download the files late tonight/early tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know so you aren't waiting for my response.

Unfortunately I'm at work, and left my USB connector/charger at home. I should be able to download the files late tonight/early tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know so you aren't waiting for my response.

No need for computer after rooting your phone. In my opinion, it would be wise to learn how to use a file explorer to navigate things around your phone. Having been rooted for over 2 1/2 years, the only times I needed a computer was to run a ruu for my Hero, root my Evo and partitioning of my sdcard. All other things can be done by downloading files via 3G, 4G, wifi and then using a file explorer. This way, if you learn to do things on the fly, you won't be stuck if you're without a computer;)

Ok, I'm doing this via Astro manager then. I went to the website [RECOVERY][MOD][1-June-2012] RA-supersonic-v4.3-smelkusMOD - xda-developers and downloaded the file:
PC36IMG_ra-supersonic-4.3-smelkus-aokp.zip

however, the instructions only say:
Using fastboot (using .img)
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recoveryname>.img

Using bootloader (using .zip)
Rename file to 'PC36IMG.zip' and place on root of sd card, reboot to bootloader, allow bootloader to scan, volume up to accept update

and I don't know if I should be using bootloader or fastboot.

Ok, I'm doing this via Astro manager then. I went to the website [RECOVERY][MOD][1-June-2012] RA-supersonic-v4.3-smelkusMOD - xda-developers and downloaded the file:
PC36IMG_ra-supersonic-4.3-smelkus-aokp.zip

however, the instructions only say:
Using fastboot (using .img)
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recoveryname>.img

Using bootloader (using .zip)
Rename file to 'PC36IMG.zip' and place on root of sd card, reboot to bootloader, allow bootloader to scan, volume up to accept update

and I don't know if I should be using bootloader or fastboot.

you can use the bootloader to flash this if you like. just rename it to PC36IMG and then reboot into the bootloader. it should see it and update it for you.

I pulled up Astro Manager, then went to "/mnt/sdcard/download" I renamed the zip file to "PC36IMG.zip" then i clicked on the file and chose the "Move" option. I then navigated "up" three times, selected the "/root" file then clicked paste. I received an error message, "java.io.FileNotFoundException: /root/PC36IMG.zip (permission denied)"

Then I tried going into the bootloader without moving the file, and the software said "file not found" (which makes sense).

Why won't it let me move the zip file to the root folder?

I pulled up Astro Manager, then went to "/mnt/sdcard/download" I renamed the zip file to "PC36IMG.zip" then i clicked on the file and chose the "Move" option. I then navigated "up" three times, selected the "/root" file then clicked paste. I received an error message, "java.io.FileNotFoundException: /root/PC36IMG.zip (permission denied)"

Then I tried going into the bootloader without moving the file, and the software said "file not found" (which makes sense).

Why won't it let me move the zip file to the root folder?
Can you just move the file to /mnt/sdcard ?

great! I didn't realize it only had to go into the SDcard folder.

I installed it. Now I see:
ANDROID SYSTEM RECOVERY
- Reboot system now
- USB-MS toggle
- Backup/Restore
- Flash zip menu
- Wipe
- Partition sdcard
- Mounts
- Other
- Dev. menu
- Power off

I assume there is another step required because I went back to an app I DLed, SetCPU, which requires root access and tried to open it. I received the message, "SetCUP could not obtain root access. Did you allow SetCUP in Superuser? Launch your Superuser app and make sure SetCPU is set to Allow. If you checked Superuser and SetCPU still cannot get root, there may be a permission issue with your ROM."

When I go back to Superuser there are "No apps in list".
after requesting superuseraccess

great! I didn't realize it only had to go into the SDcard folder.

I installed it. Now I see:
ANDROID SYSTEM RECOVERY
- Reboot system now
- USB-MS toggle
- Backup/Restore
- Flash zip menu
- Wipe
- Partition sdcard
- Mounts
- Other
- Dev. menu
- Power off

I assume there is another step required because I went back to an app I DLed, SetCPU, which requires root access and tried to open it. I received the message, "SetCUP could not obtain root access. Did you allow SetCUP in Superuser? Launch your Superuser app and make sure SetCPU is set to Allow. If you checked Superuser and SetCPU still cannot get root, there may be a permission issue with your ROM."

When I go back to Superuser there are "No apps in list".
after requesting superuseraccess
Ah, you need superuser zip.
download this and flash in recovery
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58324641/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

do not extract it...transfer to sd card like you did the PC36img file.
Btw, you can delete that PC36IMG file now.

Edit: after flashing that superuser .zip...download this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5ub3NodWZvdS5hbmRyb2lkLnN1Il0.

They work hand in hand

Yay! Cheers!
Superuser works correctly again. I can get into the apps which require SU access.

My problems have been solved. I really liked ES File Explorer too. I would only have aesthetic questions now. I haven't researched any operating systems, but know some are used to increase performance, or increase battery life etc. Which OS would you guys suggest?

Finally, if I were to want to update my version from 2.3.3, I would have to un-root, update, then re-root?

Yay! Cheers!
Superuser works correctly again. I can get into the apps which require SU access.

My problems have been solved. I really liked ES File Explorer too. I would only have aesthetic questions now. I haven't researched any operating systems, but know some are used to increase performance, or increase battery life etc. Which OS would you guys suggest?

Finally, if I were to want to update my version from 2.3.3, I would have to un-root, update, then re-root?
Yay!!
See this guide for kernels.....see staff picks...

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html
or see the Sticky at the top of forum..ocn just started it...it's a work in progress.
As far as update from 2.3.3. no, the rom you flash will be based off of different versions, so no need to unroot etc....
You can stay rooted for life!!:D

Back
Top Bottom