• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ice Cream Sandwich OTA on my Transformer?

premiump

I have scoured the 'net for information on official ASUS over-the-air ICS updates for my 1st generation Transformer. Most of the information is quite old and incorrect, so I'm wondering if anyone has a link to anything concrete?

There are plenty of rumours about the Transformer 2, packing quad-core and ICS when its released, doing the rounds, but I have a 1st generation Transformer, and would specifically like to know if an official ICS update from ASUS is coming my way? :confused::confused::confused:

It should do, ICS is more about bringing phones and tablets together under one OS than it is about a new minimum hardware spec.

I'll be surprised if we don't see it on the Transformer

I can't imagine they'd not upgrade the AEPT 1 to ICS, wasnt the commitment for updates within something like 18months of a product launch? how long has our AEPTs been out now?

anyhoos, even if they dont, it gives most of us to finally root the beggar and install a custom rom of sorts. till then, im keeping my warranty hehe

I can't imagine they'd not upgrade the AEPT 1 to ICS, wasnt the commitment for updates within something like 18months of a product launch? how long has our AEPTs been out now?

anyhoos, even if they dont, it gives most of us to finally root the beggar and install a custom rom of sorts. till then, im keeping my warranty hehe

Yeah, that was kinda what I was thinking too, root if I have to.

I'd much rather have an official OTA from ASUS when ICS is released though.

I have no desire to upgrade hardware at all, I love my Transformer.

Pete :D

The Transformer was released in the US April 26, 2011. We're a long way off from 18months...

I personally don't see why you'd want to 'downgrade' to a phone/tablet OS, if they keep updating Honeycomb seems it would be BETTER.

The Transformer was released in the US April 26, 2011. We're a long way off from 18months...

I personally don't see why you'd want to 'downgrade' to a phone/tablet OS, if they keep updating Honeycomb seems it would be BETTER.

ahhh, way long way off then lol so support will still be around when AEPT 3 come out then hehe

but no, i see your point buddy, but i guess its the general convergence google wants to instill with android ICS to bring a unified front so app developers have one single play pit to develop for. i guess at the end of the day, its just a matter of scaling? *shrugs*

either way, im still glad the Asus guys are updating our bad boys. and that maybe, JUST MAYBE!!!! Football Manager will be on android...*creams* :p

If the my Transformer does not get ICS, I will sell it and never buy another android tablet ever under any circumstances.

Same for my phone. If Samsung screws up the GS2 and ICS, I'll never get another android phone either.

Now that Sprint has the iPhone, it raises my expectations for android. I simply will not tolerate this fragmentation issue.

If the my Transformer does not get ICS, I will sell it and never buy another android tablet ever under any circumstances.

Same for my phone. If Samsung screws up the GS2 and ICS, I'll never get another android phone either.

Now that Sprint has the iPhone, it raises my expectations for android. I simply will not tolerate this fragmentation issue.

LOL

What is ICS going to fix on the Transformer?

What is wrong with Honeycomb?

Lol

It's not out. It's been rumored that Xoom with get it first, as it did with the last update and then it'll trickle down I'm sure.

Oh wow man, they probably will. Go ahead and go to apple if you do not root lol. Transformer will probably get ICS very soon, but GS2 man Sammy does not really like giving out updates lol. Learn how to install custom roms and you will get it in no time ha.

As ICS can be installed on most, if not all, Gingerbread phones, I can't see why every existing Honeycomb tablet won't get ICS in the near future.

Asus are pretty quick at issuing updates, so I am confident of an upgrade sooner rather than later

It should do, ICS is more about bringing phones and tablets together under one OS than it is about a new minimum hardware spec.

I'll be surprised if we don't see it on the Transformer

I read somewhere that the TF2 is going to be the first (or one of the first) ICS tablets. I'd be surprised too if they neglected the original.

Asus have confirmed they will be the first to release ICS for a tablet; that being the Transformer!! Due early November

From Pocketlint website

So run to Apple. Where your month old iPhone 4 doesn't support most of the ios5 enhancements including siri. But it's not fragmentation because they gave it the same version name, right?

Don't hold me to this, but isn't one of the requirements of ICS that the phone/tablet be dual core? So, you would expect Asus - as one of the first to bring ICS to a tablet in their upcoming Prime (Transformer 2 some are calling it) you would expect the OG Transformer to get it.

Given that Moto and HTC and such have said they will roll out ICS on phones pretty darn quick, I think the Transformer getting it is a forgone conclusion really. Even more so since ASUS is already using it on a tablet that should be, technically speaking, in production right now. I suspect they have a team already porting it over so I would not fret it to much.. it just seems logical

From Asus Facebook Page not too long ago:

Here's the official word on Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich: "Google recently announced the latest update for Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, which brings some exciting new features and capabilities. At ASUS, we pride ourselves on delivering a great experience with our products, thanks to frequent updates that further enhance our products' capabilities. We're delighted to confirm support for Ice Cream Sandwich on the ASUS Eee Pad Family - our aim is to bring the latest Android update to the Eee Pad Series, but at this time we are unable to set a date for its release. Please stay tuned for more news on our Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade plans."

https://www.facebook.com/ASUS/posts/263740403669365

lets hope it includes drivers to enable the transformer to use USB mobile broadband, then i can use my transformer for more than a paper weight.

lets hope it includes drivers to enable the transformer to use USB mobile broadband, then i can use my transformer for more than a paper weight.

Didn't read the product specs before you bought it??

Drivers are built by the manufacturers of the device, not by Google or ASUS.

Back
Top Bottom