• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'd like WiFi tethering and to overclock only. Recommendations?

Oh. Yeah, 23 meg available. I can make room , but I need that space. Will that be used forever, or can I move the backup data to somewhere else? And, how? I should have asked.

You'll only need it on your /sdcard when/if you would want to restore it.

You can just mount your phone as "disk drive" to your computer and then copy the /sdcard/nandroid folder to your PC's disk drive.

Each Nandroid backup is in a subfolder with a unique identifier for your phone (don't post that id here) and the actual backups are named something like BDS-ccyymmdd-hhmm.

You should see four files in this folder: boot, data, nandroid.md5, and system.

When I've noticed the Nandroid backup failed, the nandroid.md5 file was missing (I had more than enough space and had 100% charge on my phone...so, I chalked that one up to poltergeists).

Cheers!

P.S. I waited a few minutes for replying...don't want to thread-jack LED...just want to help out (let me know if you want me to bow-out...I don't want to be a distraction).

Upvote 0
I got it backed up fine. Now when I tried to flash the overclock zip from the source you provided I got this:

Install : SDCARD:kernel-overclock-zimage-v3.zip ?
Press Trackball to confirm, ay other key to abort.

(I press the track ball and...)

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening updage package...
Verifying updage package...
E:No signature (2 files)
E:Verification failed

Installation aborted

Poltergiests?

Upvote 0
I got it backed up fine. Now when I tried to flash the overclock zip from the source you provided I got this:

Install : SDCARD:kernel-overclock-zimage-v3.zip ?
Press Trackball to confirm, ay other key to abort.

(I press the track ball and...)

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening updage package...
Verifying updage package...
E:No signature (2 files)
E:Verification failed

Installation aborted

Poltergiests?

Gack! You grabbed the wrong file...it should be "kernel-overclock-update-v3.zip"...good to know it didn't install anything...

Make sure you grab the right file and try that...(you scared me there for a sec...) :eek: :)

edit: the file you grabbed was for building / including this o/c kernel in a new ROM (you're not building a new ROM, are you? :))

edit #2: thanks again LED...I was too busy freaking-out, lol

Upvote 0
Okay. I got the right one flashed and the phone is rebooting. Now all I need to do is dial my cpu up to 2ghz to make up for all the lost time. Maybe I'll create a virtual gpu, too. But now I'm being silly.

Thank you both for the help.

Is this all I need to do to get SetCPU to work? I ran it and the slider looks like it'll go up pretty high, though I have no idea how I'm going to tell where I it is since my thumb will be covering the readout. Curiously designed GUI.

I think I saw a thread with someone who looked like he knew what he was doing outlining recommended settings.

Matt

Upvote 0
Okay. I got the right one flashed and the phone is rebooting. Now all I need to do is dial my cpu up to 2ghz to make up for all the lost time. Maybe I'll create a virtual gpu, too. But now I'm being silly.

Thank you both for the help.

Is this all I need to do to get SetCPU to work? I ran it and the slider looks like it'll go up pretty high, though I have no idea how I'm going to tell where I it is since my thumb will be covering the readout. Curiously designed GUI.

I think I saw a thread with someone who looked like he knew what he was doing outlining recommended settings.

Matt

Yes...be careful and follow the instructions regarding overclocking...don't set it too high to fast... I would start at 710MHz and leave it like that for a bit (widely considered a very safe speed). Don't enabled set-on-boot until you know your phone is stable for a "while". You'll need a temp/failsafe profile.

Read through these threads for more good info:

http://androidforums.com/all-things...-instructions.html?highlight=overclocking+hmm

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/154474-setcpu-force-close.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/98457-overclocking-hmm.html?highlight=overclocking+hmm

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/155371-question-about-ocd-roms.html

Plus lots more. Good luck, Matt. And thank you LED, you are a gentleman and a scholar! :)

Upvote 0
Looks good so far. I set it to 710/528 awake and uh... 245/245 for sleep. It seems to be significantly faster. Also, I've been using the WiFi tether for the last few hours. Also works great.

I can't thank you guys enough for the help. If you're ever in Minneapolis, holla and I'll get you Twins tickets. Unless it's raining. Or cold. Or sleeting...

My phone has really been frustrating me lately because of how slowly it runs. I think it's fast enough now that I'm happy to have it again.

Mucho gracias,

Matt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones