• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If the iPhone 5/iPad lacks 4g and/or dual core...

haha nice. I love my Evo and I would love it if Google fixed their fragmentation problems and got everyone running the same version of Android. That will never happen now, far too many phones on every carrier cause they got greedy. Your nice new Android phone you just dropped hundreds on will be obsolete within a month or two when the next one with better specs and running the newer OS is released. Thanks Google! :rolleyes: This is why Apple keeps to one phone and one carrier, much easier.

Google or should I say ANDROID is not fragmented,its call differential . Take your pick,1.5,16,2.0 etc..The choice is yours, and from what I hear not all iphone can run ios4 ..

Upvote 0
Well, those are still rumors. It's hard to say exactly what apple is going to do.

A single core iPhone is already more smooth than any Android phone, so a dual-core iPhone 5 will only be that much more fluid and that much more of a gaming monster.

Apple needs to do that, AND they need to add some more gestures and even SOME kind of live widget support. Make more use of that awesome 640 x 960 display.

Upvote 0
Unless they make vast changes to the OS itself to even NEED dual core, the only reason I see them even incorporating dual core is the appease the masses. iOS in its current state doesn't lag at all... not sure we can get it to run even faster. On the other hand, dual cores might allow for lower clock speeds and even more battery savings.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
2-core isn't about speed and lagfixing.

It's about superior control potential - that provides apparent speed increases from the user perspective.

And yes, just like desktop cpus, slower 2-core beats monolithic.

Less power, less waste heat.

And did anyone else read the pieces that suggested the next iPhone might sport multiple phone radios so as to only have one model for all carriers, and that they're changing the radio chip alliance to QualComm?

Upvote 0
2-core isn't about speed and lagfixing.

It's about superior control potential - that provides apparent speed increases from the user perspective.

And yes, just like desktop cpus, slower 2-core beats monolithic.

Less power, less waste heat.

And did anyone else read the pieces that suggested the next iPhone might sport multiple phone radios so as to only have one model for all carriers, and that they're changing the radio chip alliance to QualComm?

I read that and what I found interesting was that the chips they were looking at were CDMA/GMS/and um(somthing like that) no LTE. I wouldnt imagine Apple not releasing the next iPhone without verizon 4g.

Upvote 0
I read that and what I found interesting was that the chips they were looking at were CDMA/GMS/and um(somthing like that) no LTE. I wouldnt imagine Apple not releasing the next iPhone without verizon 4g.

Agreed. And while we have public announcements, we don't know how the chipsets might accommodate additional radio chips (as is done now) or if instead even more large scale integration will occur.

Upvote 0
defiantely will be interesting, if apple does release the new devices dual core, 4g, etc.. then they will have competitive hardware finally.

In all fairness... it is not that apple doesn't have competitive hardware at any given time.

The problem is they call their devices "revolutionary" when there are already pre existing devices with the same technology out there.

Upvote 0
It's because Apple takes those ideas and makes them work seamlessly. With Android, everything still feels like it's pieced together.

Please the problem is a lot of the tech writers will support apple no matter what they put out.Whenever they add a feature everyone claim its done right or better. Consumer Report is one of the few that told the truth about that device.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
iOS4 has support for multi-processor. It is already baked into the OS.

It is called Grand Central Dispatch: Grand Central Dispatch - Mac OS X Technology Overview - Apple Developer

WIKI: Grand Central Dispatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Developers don't even need to do much except hook into the APIs, the OS already supports the task parallelism.

As for what I understand, Android and Dalvik need to be modified.

Here is a post from a developer mailing list.
this is incorrect, the userland pthread implementation needs to be modified
to
properly work on multicore systems. Dalvik and a few other parts of the
system
that do advanced stuff (e.g. use sophisticated atomic operations) also need
to
be modified for it.
in other words, just having the kernel support SMP is not enough.

How to port built in applications to run on multi core CPUs - android-platform | Google Groups

and the reply from the Android Platform engineer in the thread pretty much sums it up that there needs to be work on that front for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones