• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Incredible 2 unusual boot problem

Ok. So there are hundreds of threads about people with boot problems. I really think I have read almost all of them... So here's my issue and what i've attempted.

My wife's Incredible 2 stopped working, meaning that it would boot to the HTC white screen and then freeze. This is an unrooted S-On phone that is outside of the warranty period. Radio is 1.09.01.0312 Hboot 0.98.0000.

When I connect to my computer via USB, the computer will not recognize the device.

I can get to the boot loader and have tried the factory reset, but it freezes and will not do anything. I tried the recovery and it says that the PG32IMG, PG32DIAG, and PG32DIAG.nbh is missing. when I try to go into the recovery I can get to the Red triangle with the exclamation point but only for about 1 second, then it shuts the phone down. If I am quick I can hit the power + volume up and I get the errors that says Can't open /Cache/recovery/command then under that says Can't mount DATA then shuts down. I was able to get to the recovery menu twice. Once I tried to wipe the Cache but it froze then shut down. The second time I tried the factory reset, but it just shut down.

Since my computer will not recognize the device I can't do anything that requires using a computer. I don't understand why it freezes when I try the factory reset from the bootloader, or why it will not let me into the recovery menu.

Also I downloaded a PG32IMG.zip for the same radio and put it on a new sd card. The fastboot bootloader will then find the file and check it, but will do nothing else with it...

Any help would be great.

Perhaps related ... perhaps not ... it was news to me ...

On a Droid Bionic he could not get it to load. It had been dropped in an accident and the battery and back were missing. Nothing worked.

I tried playing with a Bionic by plugging it into a charger with the battery removed ... it would not boot.

When he installed a battery it worked fine (and he could recover the pictures and videos he was afraid he'd lost).

Bottom line ... the Bionic requires a battery installed.

So ... do you have a good battery installed?

... Thom

I'll go by the verizon store today and see if they can lend me a battery for long enough to test this theory. My wife is pretty hard on her phone... she said that she hadn't dropped it or anything, but I'll see if I can test your theory.

Thanks for the thought!

I'll go by the verizon store today and see if they can lend me a battery for long enough to test this theory. My wife is pretty hard on her phone... she said that she hadn't dropped it or anything, but I'll see if I can test your theory.

Thanks for the thought!

Maybe you can try it at the store and see if it has nay merit or is a waste of time.

... Thom

I put the PG32img file on the sd card. The bootloader did find the file and checked it, but that was it... it took like 10 seconds. It didn't seem to actually do anything with the file.

If I choose factory reset from the bootloader it freezes... i let the phone sit there for about an hour thinking that maybe it was trying to do something before finally giving up and pulling the battery...

I would love to root the phone, but since I cannot connect it to my computer i'm out of luck...

i hate to be the bearer of this news,but i believe you have a hardware issue that will not be recoverable,from the combination of errors that you are experiencing.

as ocnbrze said,theres not much we can do with a stock phone.
#2 youve tried,i believe the factory reset freezes becasue the stock recovery is unable to mount/wipe data

#1 we have not really tried,if im understanding correctly,as the file you tried was an unsigned radio file,and not a full,signed ruu. the prollem we will have with this option is that later ruus are,for some reason,not available for inc 2. the latest ive seen is 5.10.605.9.

if you want to,you can use these directions to help us find oout a few things about your current setup:
first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run. :)

i know you said the PC wont recognize the phone,but hopefully thats a simple driver issue that will be fixed using the recomended drivers.

the other option,would be to simply try the latest ruu and see if it fails. if you want to try it, here is the newest that i know of: Androidfiles RUU

you can try running the .exe file by running the download as administrator,place the phone in "fastboot" by selecting fastboot from the hboot menu,and plug it in when instructed.

if the .exe fails,you can extract rom.zip in the following manner,rename it to PG32IMG and flash in hboot from your sd card:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card
___________________________________________________________________________________

if both of those fail,then the last option is as follows:
1)unlock bootloader via htcdev and install root and recovery with these directions: http://androidforums.com/incredible-2-all-things-root/617779-guide-unlock-htcdev.html

note that the commands that start "adb xxxxxxxx " wont work,as these are done with the phone booted,so just ignore those directions. youll have to follow the directions starting with fastboot devices on each step,starting with the phone manually placed into fastboot mode.

when the directions say to reboot,then let the phone boot as far as it will,give it a minute,then pull the battery.

2)after root and recovery,you can flash this zip file in recovery to lower your main version,and allow an older ruu to flash: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23169557&postcount=4

3)now,place the phone in fastboot again,and in a cmd window politely ask the phone:
fastboot getvar mainver

if it returns 1.00.000.0 then the zip worked,and you can try running the linked ruu above again. it should attempt to flash this time. pay close attention to wether or not it hangs when updating any particular partitions,or if it gives them all an <ok>
____________________________________________________________________________________

last and not least,we can verify the condition of your emmc with the following:
-power on to hboot
-boot to recovery (select recovery from hboot menu)
-open cmd window,plug in phone
-check for conectivity:
adb devices (should return serial mumber)

-run the following:
adb shell (should change prompt to a #)

dmesg | grep mmc0

it should spit out some stuff.

if emmc is ok,you should see something like:
Code:
c:\miniadb_inc2>[COLOR="Red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    recovery

c:\miniadb_inc2>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
/ # [COLOR="red"]dmesg | grep mmc0[/COLOR]
dmesg | grep mmc0
[    8.258270] mmc0: No card detect facilities available
[    8.258941] mmc0: Qualcomm MSM SDCC at 0x00000000a0500000 irq 98,0 dma 8
[    8.259094] mmc0: Platform slot type: MMC
[    8.259307] mmc0: 4 bit data mode disabled
[    8.259460] mmc0: 8 bit data mode enabled
[    8.259582] mmc0: MMC clock 144000 -> 50000000 Hz, PCLK 96000000 Hz
[    8.259826] mmc0: Slot eject status = 0
[    8.259948] mmc0: Power save feature enable = 1
[    8.260192] mmc0: DM non-cached buffer at ff011000, dma_addr 0x18feb000
[    8.260345] mmc0: DM cmd busaddr 0x18feb000, cmdptr busaddr 0x18feb300
[    8.421417] mmc0: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
[    8.422576] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM04G 2.17 GiB
/ #

if your emmc is bad,youll see something like:

Code:
mmc0: failed to get card ready
mmc0: reinit card
mmc0: Starting deferred resume
mmc0: Deferred resume failed

im off to work,so ill try and watch if you have questions,and sure the others will stick around as well. ill be happy to help break it down later if needed,i know those directions are alot to swallow :eek:

So i downloaded the drivers and was able to get the serial number using the mini-adb. Next i attempted to load the RUU using the client. When it told me to plug in my phone it just sat there trying to restart the bootloader... I let it sit there for about 30 minutes before finally disconnecting it. Next I put the ROM.zip on the sd and renamed it. It found the zip and checked it but when it went to load it, i got the error saying that it is an older version, failed to load.

How do i get past the older version error? I have not rooted the phone yet. I am hoping to avoid that and just get the phone to actually boot. Let me know if there is an easy fix that will let me load the older ROM.

Thanks

Brandon

How do i get past the older version error? I have not rooted the phone yet. I am hoping to avoid that and just get the phone to actually boot. Let me know if there is an easy fix that will let me load the older ROM.

your best bet is to attempt to unlock and install a recovery as described below(from post 9):

if both of those fail,then the last option is as follows:
1)unlock bootloader via htcdev and install root and recovery with these directions: http://androidforums.com/incredible-2-all-things-root/617779-guide-unlock-htcdev.html

note that the commands that start "adb xxxxxxxx " wont work,as these are done with the phone booted,so just ignore those directions. youll have to follow the directions starting with fastboot devices on each step,starting with the phone manually placed into fastboot mode.

when the directions say to reboot,then let the phone boot as far as it will,give it a minute,then pull the battery.

2)after root and recovery,you can flash this zip file in recovery to lower your main version,and allow an older ruu to flash: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23169557&postcount=4

3)now,place the phone in fastboot again,and in a cmd window politely ask the phone:
fastboot getvar mainver

if it returns 1.00.000.0 then the zip worked,and you can try running the linked ruu above again. it should attempt to flash this time. pay close attention to wether or not it hangs when updating any particular partitions,or if it gives them all an <ok>
____________________________________________________________________________________

last and not least,we can verify the condition of your emmc with the following:
-power on to hboot
-boot to recovery (select recovery from hboot menu)
-open cmd window,plug in phone
-check for conectivity:
adb devices (should return serial mumber)

-run the following:
adb shell (should change prompt to a #)

dmesg | grep mmc0

it should spit out some stuff.

Code:
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    recovery

dmesg | grep mmc0
[    8.259094] mmc0: Platform slot type: MMC
[    8.259307] mmc0: 4 bit data mode disabled
[    8.259460] mmc0: 8 bit data mode enabled
[    8.259582] mmc0: MMC clock 144000 -> 50000000 Hz, PCLK 96000000 Hz
[    8.259826] mmc0: Slot eject status = 0
[    8.259948] mmc0: Power save feature enable = 1
[    8.260192] mmc0: DM non-cached buffer at ff011000, dma_addr 0x18feb000
[    8.260345] mmc0: DM cmd busaddr 0x18feb000, cmdptr busaddr 0x18feb300
[    8.421417] mmc0: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
[    8.422576] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM04G 2.17 GiB
/ #

if your emmc is bad,youll see something like:

Code:
mmc0: failed to get card ready
mmc0: reinit card
mmc0: Starting deferred resume
mmc0: Deferred resume failed

theres a guide here to unlock via htcdev: http://androidforums.com/incredible-2-all-things-root/617779-guide-unlock-htcdev.html#post4958403

youll have to modify the directions slightly,since the phone will not boot. you wont be able to do any commands that start "adb...",youll need to pick up each set of dirctions at fastboot xxxxxx after manually putting the phone into fastboot mode.

when directions say to let the phone reboot,let it reboot as far as it will,then pull the battery.

installing the recovery will let flash the zip so you can install the older rom. it will also let you test the emmc with the commands in the second part of the above quote.

holler if yio have any questions :)

I am stuck on how to flash the file to lower the main version. I don't understand how to flash that zip to get the fastboot getvar mainver to make it return 1.00.000.0. Can you explain how I do that please?

i have unlocked the phone and flashed the recovery. I am still in S-ON. When I try to flash the zip from the adb it says FAILED remote not allowed.

i have unlocked the phone and flashed the recovery. I am still in S-ON. When I try to flash the zip from the adb it says FAILED remote not allowed.

i think we are having a comunication prollem,possiblly. what zip are you trying to flash from adb?

what i know for sure:
-you have unlocked your hboot,and it reads unlocked at the top
-you have permantly flashed recovery with the command:
fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img
wich at this point,i assume was successful
-you can boot to hboot,wich does not bootloop.
-when you select recovery from the hboot screen,you are taken to amon recovery,wich promptly bootloops so you cannot install the main version low zip.

question: when you boot to recovery,you are seeing a menu,correct? not a trianlge and ! ?

what im not sure of,is if you have tried to launch amon recovery into phone memory.

you do this just like you did to install the recovery:
place phone in fastboot,open cmd window,launch recovery with this command(note "boot" not "flash")
fastboot boot recoveryname.img

entering this command should immediately launch recovery into memory. since were launching it from the bootloader and not from the emmc,hope fully it will not loop,and allow you to enter the main version low zip,and enter the other adb commands to check the emmc condidion.

hopefully that helps clear things up somewhat. you shouldnt be flashing any zip files with adb at this point(your recovery must be an image,not a zip)

if any of my assumed statements are false,please let me know. :)

OK. Let me answer your questions in order...

You asked what zip I am trying to flash from adb. Well I was trying to flash the superuser zip. I also tried to flash the setmainversionlow zip. The superuser zip would not do anything. The setminversionlow zip failed.

I have unlocked the hboot, it reads unlocked at the top.
I have flashed the recovery. It was successful.
I can boot to hboot, no bootloop
when i select recovery from hboot i am taken to amon recovery which bootloops.

When I boot to recovery I from hboot I do not get to the triangle screen. it shuts off and I have to pull the battery.

I tried to launch recovery into phone memory using the fastboot boot cmd. It says downloading boot img okay and booting ok. The phone buzzes, the htc screen shows then it goes to a black screen. Sometimes the recovery menu comes up and sometimes it just shuts down. When I am able to get the menu it says that it can't load the Cache log.
I have tried to flash the setmainversionlow zip when i am able to get the menu. it goes through the process and says it loaded, but when i check the fastboot getvar mainver it doesn't say 1.00.000.0.

I am not able to check the emmc condition because there are no devices present with the adb devices. I do however get the serial when i fastboot devices.

Hope this helps... Because I am at a loss.

Yes,that helps quite a bit. :)

What is the output of getvar mainver?

Are you trying the emmc commands when you can boot the recovery without bootloops? These are adb commands,so they won't work in fastboot.

i need to edit my response. I am not successful using fastboot flash recovery recovery img. It says sending recovery OKAY then sticks on writing recovery.

Also I did not try emmc commands when it booted to recovery. It's hit and miss... I will try the emmc commands when i am able to get it to boot to recovery...

emmc is good. Got it to boot to recovery here's what it says

sg|grep mmc0
7.117950] mmc0: No card detect facilities available
7.118560] mmc0: Qualcomm MSM SDCC at 0x00000000a0500000 irq 98,0 dma 8
7.118804] mmc0: Platform slot type: MMC
7.118957] mmc0: 4 bit data mode disabled
7.119079] mmc0: 8 bit data mode enabled
7.119323] mmc0: MMC clock 144000 -> 50000000 Hz, PCLK 96000000 Hz
7.119445] mmc0: Slot eject status = 0
7.119567] mmc0: Power save feature enable = 1
7.119812] mmc0: DM non-cached buffer at ff011000, dma_addr 0x184dd000
7.119934] mmc0: DM cmd busaddr 0x184dd000, cmdptr busaddr 0x184dd300
7.280670] mmc0: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
7.281646] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB
8.570770] mmc0: Failed to get card ready i = 133302
8.570892] mmc0: reinit card
8.570983] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card
10.610900] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card return -110
10.613769] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
10.614105] mmc0: Controller has been reset
10.614257] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
10.615722] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
10.616027] mmc0: Controller has been reset
10.616180] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
10.622863] mmc0: reinit card
10.622985] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card
12.660949] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card return -110
12.766571] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
12.766937] mmc0: Controller has been reset
12.767089] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
12.768463] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
12.768798] mmc0: Controller has been reset
12.768951] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
12.775573] mmc0: reinit card
12.775665] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card
14.810943] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card return -110

I don't know what to do now. Please advise. Hopefully this info helps.

i think i have narrowed it down to a cache problem. I keep getting an error saying it can't load cache log. I have tried to reformat, wipe, upgrade the cache but it errors out on each attempt.

Y'all think this is worthy of the trash at this point or is it able to be saved?

i think i have narrowed it down to a cache problem. I keep getting an error saying it can't load cache log. I have tried to reformat, wipe, upgrade the cache but it errors out on each attempt.

Y'all think this is worthy of the trash at this point or is it able to be saved?
well,from your output i dont think we can say the emmc is good. it may not be completely bad,but you did get a failed to get card ready error,followed by several reinit and flush attempts,followed by "Worked around bug 1535304".

im not really sure what it means,exactly,but my guess is that you have some bad blocks or a partially bad emmc that is preventing cache from mounting,as you said.

im afraid at this point ive no idea what else to try :(

no harm in keeping it around in case somethning else pops up,or you could possible sell it for parts.

you could check with MobileTechVideos,its maybe possible it could be repaired,but it wouldnt surprise me for the cost to be more than what you could pick up a new used device on craiglist or ebay.

for what its worth,you learned alot of stuff and put forth a fantastic effort to bring it back. sorry it didnt work out for ya :(

emmc is good. Got it to boot to recovery here's what it says

sg|grep mmc0
7.117950] mmc0: No card detect facilities available
7.118560] mmc0: Qualcomm MSM SDCC at 0x00000000a0500000 irq 98,0 dma 8
7.118804] mmc0: Platform slot type: MMC
7.118957] mmc0: 4 bit data mode disabled
7.119079] mmc0: 8 bit data mode enabled
7.119323] mmc0: MMC clock 144000 -> 50000000 Hz, PCLK 96000000 Hz
7.119445] mmc0: Slot eject status = 0
7.119567] mmc0: Power save feature enable = 1
7.119812] mmc0: DM non-cached buffer at ff011000, dma_addr 0x184dd000
7.119934] mmc0: DM cmd busaddr 0x184dd000, cmdptr busaddr 0x184dd300
7.280670] mmc0: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
7.281646] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB
8.570770] mmc0: Failed to get card ready i = 133302
8.570892] mmc0: reinit card
8.570983] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card
10.610900] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card return -110
10.613769] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
10.614105] mmc0: Controller has been reset
10.614257] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
10.615722] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
10.616027] mmc0: Controller has been reset
10.616180] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
10.622863] mmc0: reinit card
10.622985] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card
12.660949] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card return -110
12.766571] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
12.766937] mmc0: Controller has been reset
12.767089] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
12.768463] mmc0: DMA channel flushed (0x80000004)
12.768798] mmc0: Controller has been reset
12.768951] mmc0: Worked around bug 1535304
12.775573] mmc0: reinit card
12.775665] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card
14.810943] mmc0: mmc_reinit_card return -110

I don't know what to do now. Please advise. Hopefully this info helps.

Code:
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    recovery

dmesg | grep mmc0