• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Rooted on stock ICS 4.0.2

An OTA update will lose root. You will be able to go through the same procedure to root again though.

Have you flashed a custom recovery? ClockworkMod or the like? If you have then the OTA will most likely fail. Flash the standard recovery and all will be fine.

Yes I have CWM recovery flashed. Will the system still pick up the update notification?

Upvote 0
It will but the update will fail.

Check out xda for a flashable zip file of the 4.0.4 ota. Stick it on your SD card and flash from within cwm

First of all, thanks for your tip regarding XDA - got the OTA and flashed it no problems (at present I'm enjoying the new experience - so-far-so-good). One more thing though, you were wrong in your assumption that the update would fail on custom recovery! I flashed CWM touch 5.8.0.2 prior to update and then used it to flash the OTA zip. The process did not fail and went as smooth as pie. :cool:

P.S. One of the members on here (Scary Alien) has developed a fantastic little utility to check, reboot the device and flash stock / custom ROM's , as well as checking your root status from within the OS without connecting your GNex to your PC and using adb in any shape or form. It is called Android Root Toolkit (beta) and is available for free from the market. I flashed from one recovery to another at the drop of a hat and you don't even have to download any of them, including the stock recovery; the app does this for you. Credit where it's due - one fly in the ointment though, it onlty works for the Galaxy Nexus :-(

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
First of all, thanks for your tip regarding XDA - got the OTA and flashed it no problems (at present I'm enjoying the new experience - so-far-so-good). One more thing though, you were wrong in your assumption that the update would fail on custom recovery! I flashed CWM touch 5.8.0.2 prior to update and then used it to flash the OTA zip. The process did not fail and went as smooth as pie. :cool:

P.S. One of the members on here (Scary Alien) has developed a fantastic little utility to check, reboot the device and flash stock / custom ROM's , as well as checking your root status from within the OS without connecting your GNex to your PC and using adb in any shape or form. It is called Android Root Toolkit (beta) and is available for free from the market. I flashed from one recovery to another at the drop of a hat and you don't even have to download any of them, including the stock recovery; the app does this for you. Credit where it's due - one fly in the ointment though, it onlty works for the Galaxy Nexus :-(

Sorry, meant if you upgrade using the OTA normally rather than flash through CWM. There's no problem reflashing using CWM - that's how I'll be doing it, just don't any automatic upgrade (that your phone finds for you and does with hardly any intervention) to work if you have custom recovery.

Scary's toolkit looks great too. Not used it properly yet but there are some great utilities built into it.

Upvote 0

heat57, I'm guessing that GrenW meant that the non-flashable ("normal") update.zip file for an OTA will fail to auto-install by anything other than a stock recovery.

Pretty sure someone has to take the OTA update.zip and make it custom recovery flashable.

Also, if you are rooted prior to taking an OTA, you can use the pretty cool OTA RootKeeper app (free in the Market) to help you carry your root forward to your new OTA's version of Android (you "save root" before and "restore root" afterwards--very handy and very cool).

Thank you for the kind words about my app, by the way--much appreciated :).

Cheers!

edit: lol, ninja'd by GrenW :) ;)

Upvote 0
To GrenW and Scary Alien - of course I didn't wish to sound "bolshy" it was merely intended to clarify a misunderstanding. However, seems that I didn't click straight away (GrenW). Anyway, it's nice to meet people on here who genuinely want to help one another without being patronising. Long may it continue - and thanks again to both of you.

A little P.S. after a few hours of running 4.0.4 - this ain't half a lot quicker (forgive the pun) :D

Upvote 0
To GrenW and Scary Alien - of course I didn't wish to sound "bolshy" it was merely intended to clarify a misunderstanding. However, seems that I didn't click straight away (GrenW). Anyway, it's nice to meet people on here who genuinely want to help one another without being patronising. Long may it continue - and thanks again to both of you.

A little P.S. after a few hours of running 4.0.4 - this ain't half a lot quicker (forgive the pun) :D

Oh, not a problem at all! My replies also were simply meant to help clarify and sometimes just restate for the benefit of others that might be reading, too (we've heard anecdotal stats that say that for every one person that's a member here, there's five guests viewing).

Very happy to meet you new (to me, at least :)) very helpful and knowledgeable folks--you guys are what makes our forums the great place that it is.

I'm hoping for a quick pickup of the 4.0.4 stuff from the AOKP folks (if they haven't already--I don't always run the latest and greatest versions of their ROMs (I think I'm currently on M4)), so its good to hear that the stock version is snappy (if I understood your phrasing ;) :)).

Cheers!

Reactions: heat57
Upvote 0
Oh, not a problem at all! My replies also were simply meant to help clarify and sometimes just restate for the benefit of others that might be reading, too (we've heard anecdotal stats that say that for every one person that's a member here, there's five guests viewing).

Very happy to meet you new (to me, at least :)) very helpful and knowledgeable folks--you guys are what makes our forums the great place that it is.

I'm hoping for a quick pickup of the 4.0.4 stuff from the AOKP folks (if they haven't already--I don't always run the latest and greatest versions of their ROMs (I think I'm currently on M4)), so its good to hear that the stock version is snappy (if I understood your phrasing ;) :)).

Cheers!

Yo baby, you did!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones