• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Jelly Bean in the Bionics future?

I'm just waiting on the ICS OTA ,,when i see what it does,then I'll decide whether or not to re-root and go w/ the cyanogen build of JB.As of yet w/ .232 I'm pretty happy with my Bionic.

Can't agree more.

If the official ICS doesn't work out then it is open season on this device as far as I'm concerned.

I was bored the other day so I installed that incomplete JB rom that is floating around. Hooooly cow, that project butter thing they talked about for 4.1 that smooths out all the animations and on-screen movement makes it sooo nice. To me personally felt like it was a bigger change going from ICS to JB than I intially felt going from GB to ICS. Yeah ICS changed around the menus and the colors, and I'm sure there are much more significant upgrades than that but I'm just an average user so I don't even know what they might be, but going from ICS to JB changes something you notice each and every time you unlock your phone, the overall smoothness of it.

I almost wish I had never tried it, because of course I had to come back to ICS land to have a working camera and I had no interest in flipping settings around to try to get a data connection every time I started my phone like we were all doing when the first ICS roms came out. I can't wait for a JB rom with full data and camera. ICS can eat my dust lol. So thankful for the devs that bring this stuff to Bionic cuz I'm sure moto won't.

Even though we'll get it eventually it seriously made me wish I had a GNex or another device that is going to have full, official JB sooner. Although I'm planning on getting a Nexus 7 so I'll just use that most of the time.

Another good reason why the Bionic DEFINITELY won't see a JB update: The Motorola testing/VZW approval process.... It's horrendous. And for a discontinued phone, there's no benefit for Motorola to do it. It promised ICS, and we'll get it... But releasing a JB update would only be a good tool to use to bump up unit sales... And given that, as stated above, the phone is no longer officially for sale (not even refurbs), it's pointless to put in millions of dollars more into dev, testing, vzw approval rigmarole, and rollout costs that they won't recoup. Face it folks, it's not going to happen.

Whenever someone flashes a new ROM they always say it's smoother than the last. I've learned to take those statements with a grain of salt, especially if part of the flashing instructions include wiping data or clearing caches. Of course the phone is going to run smoother without all the junk installed on it just like a fresh installation of Windows.

Hopefully with google at the helm they will want to show that android phones in general, and moto phones specifically, will get more updates and decrease fragmentation.

my .02 cents says no the Bionic won't see an "official" JB OTA. Thank you and come again.

I agree...

It is MY opinion Moto and Verizon (maybe Google) will want this phone to fall into the abyss. Lots of problems (and no problems according to some) with this phone.

Sadly I was an early adopter of the Bionic and have felt cheated ever since. I was an early adopter of the original Droid, and never really felt that way...

IMO, what a let down..

Motorola made a statement yesterday that indicates that phone delivered in 2011 would get Jellybean or they would give a $100 credit towards the purchase of a new Motorola phone.

What do you think this means as for the Bionic?

Motorola made a statement yesterday that indicates that phone delivered in 2011 would get Jellybean or they would give a $100 credit towards the purchase of a new Motorola phone.

What do you think this means as for the Bionic?

I don't mean this to be snarky, but that it will either get Jelly Bean or that Moto will offer a $100 credit towards a new phone with JB. Since the Bionic has all the hardware that JB would require, I imagine that Google really intends to try to get JB on the Bionic. I guess one way to look at it is to imagine how many Bionics were sold, multiply by $100, and is that figure a lot more than it would cost to develop and distribute JB? If so, I would think that Google would want to get JB developed and save some money.

I agree...

It is MY opinion Moto and Verizon (maybe Google) will want this phone to fall into the abyss. Lots of problems (and no problems according to some) with this phone.

Sadly I was an early adopter of the Bionic and have felt cheated ever since. I was an early adopter of the original Droid, and never really felt that way...

IMO, what a let down..
The problems the Bionic has had have been the same problems EVERY 4G phone has had for Verizon. Reports have had that the Razr and the Nexus have had the same data issues.

I don't mean this to be snarky, but that it will either get Jelly Bean or that Moto will offer a $100 credit towards a new phone with JB. Since the Bionic has all the hardware that JB would require, I imagine that Google really intends to try to get JB on the Bionic. I guess one way to look at it is to imagine how many Bionics were sold, multiply by $100, and is that figure a lot more than it would cost to develop and distribute JB? If so, I would think that Google would want to get JB developed and save some money.
Not to mention since the Razr and Bionic are almost identical hardware wise, any development for the Razr means not much to do for the Bionic, more than likely. In fact, hasn't it been the poor ICS update for the Razr that's been the holdup for Bionic's ICS update because they want to get the bugs cleaned up first since they would more than likely be on the Bionic to if they don't fix them?

Just a theory and again just a theory(laughing to myself while typing this)....but do you think they would not release ics to the
Bionic...release it for the razr....all while working on a JB release for the Bionic and RAZR? Far Fetched yes......possible yes....what do you all think?

yeah....i was also kinda thinking that JB would be the new android standard and that we would see less fragmentation...I could be wrong (because of the number devices released for the Android OS)...

yeah....i was also kinda thinking that JB would be the new android standard and that we would see less fragmentation...I could be wrong (because of the number devices released for the Android OS)...

It is the new Android standard. But development never stops. Long before most are on jellybean there will be android 5.0

but if more "mid-level" devices come out like the razr m (one hell of a phone) then why not strive for optimizing the performance of the phones by releasing more OS updates.....I guess this talk could on for for a while...but very interesting...nevermind me lol!:smokingsomb:

If you want to be on the cutting edge get your upgrade schedule synced up with the major version announcements

And use a nexus:D

Unless you're on Verizon....

And use a nexus:D

I really like them but love my bionic way too much! Maybe in a month or two.

Unless you're on Verizon....[/QUOTE]

I am.....

Back
Top Bottom