• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the phone borked?

TDOW

Today, my daughter plugged her OpV in to charge and first got a message with a dimmed battery screen that said something like "wait until enough charge" or something. Later the initial LG screen (just the LG logo) would blink on and off and do nothing else. I swapped batteries (we have another LG OpV). Took battery out and hit the power button, etc. Plugged it back in and it still blinks on and off and will not do anything else. Phone is completely stock.

Is the phone borked?

Another issue. As mentioned above, I happened to have another OpV laying around and tried to activate it to my daughter's phone number and got the message to call CS, and of course, CS was closed by the time I got around to it. This phone had been my old phone, and then I loaned it to a friend as a temporary phone to get her out of her Verizon contract and keep her old phone number, until she could get a new phone. Her new phone is activated, so I set the phone numbers back to my phone number and msid. Could the repeated swapping have caused problems with the ESN on the phone? This phone is also completely stock.

Sorry for posting two problems here!

Put in a fully charged battery. Hold down HOME + VOLUME DOWN then POWER. Hold all at the same time until you see the recovery menu. Now plug in a know good charger. Select the "wipe data/factory reset" option. Swap battery with the other one and plug back into charger. Monitor the battery level (should be listed at the top of the screen). It should show a higher level after 10 minutes.

If none of this worked, I'll have to dig thru archives to jog memory to see if there might be a solution or not.

Put in a fully charged battery. Hold down HOME + VOLUME DOWN then POWER. Hold all at the same time until you see the recovery menu. Now plug in a know good charger. Select the "wipe data/factory reset" option. Swap battery with the other one and plug back into charger. Monitor the battery level (should be listed at the top of the screen). It should show a higher level after 10 minutes.

If none of this worked, I'll have to dig thru archives to jog memory to see if there might be a solution or not.

Thank you. I will have to wait for the kid to come home from school. I managed to get my old OpV switched over to her account. I will charge her battery full up, then do the recovery on the old handset to see if that works.

AndyOpie: I went through your steps, and all that happens is the LG logo screen blinks on and off endlessly (probably until the battery is dead). At this point, I think the phone is borked. Oh well. It was almost 2 years old, (although my OpV that I transferred my daughter's number to is almost 3 years old and has been for a swim...weird)

Where not done yet.
Lets try to see if you can get it into Emergency mode.

With computer on, USB cord plugged into computer, hold BACK + VOLUME DOWN. Then (this is the tricky part) while holding those buttons plug phone into USB cable and push POWER.

Experiment with plugging it into computer and pressing Power button.

If no go: (I had to do this last year) Seeings how you have two batteries make sure one is fully charged and the other one is totally drained and dead.
Now with the dead battery in the phone, computer on, USB cable plugged into computer, (this is even trickier) press BACK + CAMERA + VOLUME DOWN. While holding down all those keys you need to plug in USB cable and push POWER (I had to first insert the USB cable in just enough to keep it from falling out of phone, but not enough to apply power).
If it goes into Emergency mode then swap batteries so you have the fully charged one in the phone.

If you can get it into Emergency mode I have the Firmware for the phone. Just let me know if it's a ZV4 baseband or ZV5 baseband phone (normally you can see this info in: menu/settings/about phone). If you don't know, let me know when you bought it, and if you bought it used or new.

I personally think you just need to flash the firmware to get it working again. I have a ZV4 and ZV5 .cab file that have been converted to be used by the KP500 and KDZ firmware flashing utilities, so that won't be a problem.

If you don't already have the LG USB drivers for the V installed on the computer click here:
LG Optimus V Drivers
Install with phone unplugged from computer. Once it says their installed restart computer. Once it fully reboots, plug in phone to finish installation. It will take a while, so be patient.

The phone is about a year and a half old. Is it too late to call for a replacement?

The phone is about a year and a half old. Is it too late to call for a replacement?
Yes.
You have a ZV5 baseband V.
I'll link you to the KDZ unbrick guide as it uses the ZV5 firmware.

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...guide-unbrick-upgrade-optimus-v-easy-kdz.html

Here is an updated easy to understand guide:
Unbrick directions:

00. Download and install LG USB Drivers for the LG VM670
01. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
02. Your computer needs to be connected to the internet.
03. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
04. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
05. In type, choose 3GQCT
06. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
07. Choose the ZV5.kdz
08. Click Launch software update
09. Wait for the error to come up (this might happen a few times in a row just keep repeating steps
10, 11, and 12)
10. Press OK
11. Unplug phone, pull battery, press power button
12. Click Launch software update
When everything is working correctly you should get a readout that pops up that shows a
scrolling text that eventually will display:
wParam:7, IParam=00
then:
wParam:7, IParam=01
and so on and so on until you get to
wParam:7, IParam=100
(in the middle of all this you will ocasionally get a dll message error, this is normal), then
you will get:
wParam:8, IParam=00
It should now go into battery charge mode, or recovery mode, or boot into the phone.
13. Enjoy :D

Notes:

01. If it hangs in the bootanimation, and you have no recovery, get into the fastboot screen (same
way you get into the recovery, but with no recovery it will automatically go to the fastboot
screen).
Plug the phone into the computer and open a terminal in the SDK/platform-tools folder that you
should already have on your C: drive (If no SDK folder let me know, I have one you can download).
Then type in this code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase cache
Pull battery, get into the E-mode and start the KDZ utility over.
02. If it boots into the recovery just select the "wipe data/factory reset" option, unplug the phone
from the computer and then select the "reboot system now" option.
03. If it goes to battery charge mode just unplug from computer and push the power button.
04. On the first boot up it might takes as long as 10 minutes to fully boot into the lockscreen.

Upgrade/Downgrade/Return to stock directions:

00. Install Drivers, Reboot
01. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
02. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with
certain recoveries so try the Xionia or the VM670NH recovery's first)
03. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
04. Select the ZV5.kdz
05. In type, choose 3GQCT
06. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
07. Click Launch software update
08. Enjoy :D

Made by Sammyz: Updated by AndyOpie150 on Wed/02/October/2013

I am crazy busy for the next few days, but I will try all this when I get a few spare moments to scrape together! :)

Thank you so much AndyOpie150

Do you know when it was originally purchased? There are three different baseband versions and two different screen versions. When it was originally purchased will help to determine what type of V you have, which is needed to determine what is needed to properly unbrick it.

Do you know when it was originally purchased? There are three different baseband versions and two different screen versions. When it was originally purchased will help to determine what type of V you have, which is needed to determine what is needed to properly unbrick it.

Nooooope. :p No idea at all. May just write it off. Just bought a G1 on eBay

Don't be so hasty to write the V off. It's a little rock solid mo-chine, Mine is almost three years old and on a Jellybean ROM ( my spare is on a newly developed KitKat ROM). It can be fixed.
Try looking thru this thread at the links I left.
Ask me any question you can think of to help in fixing V.

Note: In the All Things Root sub-forum/All Things Root Guide sticky/Guides- their is more info on the KDZ and KP500 unbrick guides.

Alright. Well, it's sitting in emergency mode now, I'm still not sure what baseband it is. I'll try to find out.

The battery door says its a VM670, with a FCC ID of BEJVM670.

Try the KDZ unbrick guide, using the linked to ZV5 firnware. The ZV5 should work weather it's a ZV5 or ZV4 (the ZV4 has an unlocked bootloader and tethering, ZV5 doesn't), plus if you have a Hitachi screen instead of the original Novatek screen then the ZV5 is the best option.
Note: The battery doesn't charge in emergency mode. It only charges while phone is off, in recovery, and normally booted into ROM.

Try the KDZ unbrick guide, using the linked to ZV5 firnware. The ZV5 should work weather it's a ZV5 or ZV4 (the ZV4 has an unlocked bootloader and tethering, ZV5 doesn't), plus if you have a Hitachi screen instead of the original Novatek screen then the ZV5 is the best option.
Note: The battery doesn't charge in emergency mode. It only charges while phone is off, in recovery, and normally booted into ROM.

I tried that guide but the LG logo is still looping. It did flash up to the point where is supposed to reboot. I'll have to figure out how to charge the battery as I don't have a spare

Did you get the same output as the one I posted? If yes, then we need to figure out how to get the phone into the fastboot screen so you can wipe the partitions with fastboot commands.
Do you have the Android SDK and the Java jdk6_u45 installed on your computer? The path to the adb.exe needs to be put in the environmental variables as well.

Did you get the same output as the one I posted? If yes, then we need to figure out how to get the phone into the fastboot screen so you can wipe the partitions with fastboot commands.
Do you have the Android SDK and the Java jdk6_u45 installed on your computer? The path to the adb.exe needs to be put in the environmental variables as well.

Yes. But it won't go into fastboot or recovery. I have a full Android building setup ;)

Manually try to get V into recovery mode by holding down HOME + VOLUME DOWN then POWER. This should leave you with a blank/black screen.
Now plug phone into computer (you do have the Optimus V usb drivers already installed, right).
Now open up a terminal in the SDK folder the fastboot.exe is in (if using Windows it will be in the tools folder, if using Linux it will be in the platform-tools folder).

Note: You need to open terminal in the folder, not cd to the folder.
Now give this command:
Code:
fastboot devices

You should get the device listed or just????
If you did, then give it these commands:
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase system

Now run the KDZ again making sure it goes to WParam:8, IParam=00 or higher.

Edit: Got ninja'd while editing.

Ok. Let me get hold of a V user I helped out a while back to fix his V with the KDZ and the ZV5 firmware. He managed to get it into the fastboot screen even though it wouldn't boot into normal system. Once he wiped all the partitions with fastboot commands as per my instructions, he was able to run the KDZ again with it booting into the system when done.
Will either post what he did, or talk him into posting here if he can.
Might take a day or two, so keep checking once a day.

Thanks a ĺ, man. I may look up the cost of a new battery

Will attempt when I get home tonight.

EDIT: I got a new battery for $5 on its way as well, since my HTC G1's battery is swollen and dead.

No dice on fastboot. Doesn't list the device. Can't ADB, either. It won't go into recovery or fastboot, it simply loops "LG" over and over. I've ordered a new battery to try that since it was only $4. Trying to go into fastboot/recovery DOES, however, make the screen flickers change frequency

It might be because the battery is to low. When you get one fully charged try to manually get into recovery. This should leave you with a blank/black screen.
Then try fastboot again, even if it fastboot devices doesn't show anything. The key is getting it into the black screen and not the LG boot loop

I can get into a black/blank screen for a split second then it returns to the LG loop, even with new battery. The KDZ flash fails with a status 89 at parameter 100

EDIT:

Upgrade Error WParam:100
LParam: 89

Error Code: 89

Try the special charger u remove the battery and plug into the wall I post a picture and the dam thing isn't nothing but 8.00 ebay

Back
Top Bottom