• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's heeeeere!!!

Then two weekends ago I was on a trip with a bunch of guys who had EVO's. I was trying to discuss rooting and ROMing and the benefits and drawbacks with these fellas, and it was like I was speaking Chinese. I couldn't believe how absolutely clueless they were about all this stuff. I mean I always knew we here in the ROMing community were part of the vast minority of Android owners... but I always assumed that everyone else at least knew our community existed. Turns out, most of them don't! Honestly that trip opened my eyes to the fact that for the most part, people who buy Android devices haven't the faintest clue as to what their devices are actually capable of. None of those guys had any idea what I was talking about. The one guy who sort of did, asked me, "oh, can these things be jailbroken"? :eek:

Such a shame but it's completely true-- and in my opinion, why Apple is so successful. Android has so many more options, but you have to actually go out and SET those options. Apple just picks the options for you, and people don't realize that Android can do pretty much anything iOS can do, and more, you just have to set it that way (or a different way).

The girl I'm dating has a droid 2, and after I got my dx and started playing around with it, she decided she wanted me to make her phone like mine. I started explaining to her rooting, and what options it gave you, as well as different launchers and apps and things... and she just stared at me and said "just make it like yours."

I couldn't believe that. How can someone NOT want to go out and learn everything their phone can do and pick what they like best to make their phone work best for THEM? That's the whole point!

Upvote 0
Hey does anyone know how to pull a Titanium Back-Up file off of one Android device to use on another?

When I activated my new phone I entered my gmail account that I set up my Motorola with. Then 'Google Back-Up' did it's famously inept job of moving less than half of the apps I had on my DX onto the G2x (68 out of over 200), just like I figured would happen.

Easy enough fix, just open 'AppBrain' on the LG and hit 'perform installs', and that should take care of it. But the thing neither 'Google Back-Up' nor 'AppBrain' does is save apps with data.

So I was wondering could I pop the DX's SD card into the G2x, take the TiBU file and copy it off of the SD card and into internal storage. Then insert the G2x's SD card, and move it from internal storage onto it. At which point I'd take the SD card out of the DX, place it back into the G2x, and simply run the TiBU batch action for restoring all apps + data... is that possible?

If not, is there a way to copy the TiBU file onto my computer. Then from my computer copy it onto the G2x's SD card? If so where is that file located? What is the name of it?

Upvote 0
I couldn't believe that. How can someone NOT want to go out and learn everything their phone can do and pick what they like best to make their phone work best for THEM? That's the whole point!

Well people who think like that are generally drawn to places like this. That's why most of us here think like that. And the reason this place isn't flooded with the millions upon millions of other Android owners that are out there is... because they don't think like we do!

:D

Upvote 0
I just talked my friend into getting this phone on the day it came out (she wanted the new sidekick at first.... :::shudders::: ) the first one she got had issues with random reboots and not waking up from the locked screen (its a known issue with both the G2x and the O2x) so I told her to take it back for a new one and she did.
Shes now in love with the phone. the thing is blazing fast (not so much on the internet part (not as fast as the TB but faster than the X) but the speed of everything else) and all in all she is VERY happy with it

Upvote 0
Yes indeed, it does sting. Anytime a manufacturer claims a product is capable of something, and then it turns out not to be... well you kinda scratch your head a little.

In the G2x forum they are discussing this and they're saying there is a fix coming down the pipe to address this issue. I don't understand how a software patch could do that though, wouldn't that be a hardware issue? I dunno, they can do crazy stuff with these things, so I suppose it's possible.

Doesn't effect me, I'm covered by T-Mobile towers in my area. But I've seen a lot of complaining by people who bought the G2x out of contract to use on AT&T. And they have every right to complain I might add.

Upvote 0
Ahhh but you see my friend I'm way ahead of you there. I thought long and hard about the Nexus S a few weeks ago, and I almost pulled the trigger. Until I came across the new LG. You see not only is the G2x built around a 4.0 inch screen and run vanilla Android... both on par with the Nexus S, but it ups the ante with a dual core processor and 4g connectivity. Which when I'm keeping score, puts it ahead of Googles own smartphone.

I was REALLY interested in the rumors that the Motorola Targa was going to be the next Nexus branded device (4.3 inch display, quad core, and running on the fastest 4g network with vanilla Android and custom ROMs out the yang.... let me wipe the drool off my chin). But it's so hard to swallow since Google has their devices built wide open, easy to root and with an unlocked bootloader to top it all off... I just can't see Motorola being able to handle those requirements. And even if they somehow did, I can't see Verizon letting a 'street punk' device like that wondering around unchecked over it's airwaves. Still, it could be true. But even the rumors don't put it out until Christmas.

Which gives me about 7 months to get to know my G2x before I contemplate a switch back to Verizon if the rumors hold true. Oh what a great time/country we live in!

;)

Hey Outlaw, I've heard that a guy named Miami1683 over on Droid Forums, who is considered a very reliable "source" is telling all of us who are Verizon Droid people, thinking of jumping on the AT&T Atrix bandwagon (that would be me!) to cool our jets and be patient, because the phone that will be released under the name Droid Bionic is the long rumored Targa, and will be pure vanilla Google Android (maybe/probably with Gingerbread), with an *unlocked* bootloader, and will be released much earlier than early Winter - he's saying more like early Summer. I don't have his exact post handy, but he's saying it will NOT be the CDMA version of the Atrix that was shown at the CES in January (that phone appears to be dead), but rather the dual core monster known unofficially as the Targa - but being released under the defunct phone's name. I believe Miami is reporting accurately, as to what he was told, but I can't visualize Motorola & Verizon smilingly giving us an unlocked Super Phone...it's just beyond comprehension.

If I can track down Miami1683's post, I'll try to copy and paste it over here, but it will be difficult to locate, since he's a prolific poster on DF - in the thousands, since he's an Administrator over there.

-Mike

Upvote 0
Wow, I also miss my 'D - R - O - I - D' text message notification and my Android ringtone. I know a lot of people hate those and get rid of them pronto, but I always loved them and associated the phone with those sounds. There were like the DX's personality to me.

The stock notifications on my G2x are ULTRA ANNOYING and have to go! The stock ringer sounds like a banjo playing... how do you go from that kick ass 'D - R - O - I - D' ringtone to banjos? I wish I knew how to port over the Droid ringtone.

Download the Zedge app from the market and you can find it there.
Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers - Android app on AppBrain

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0
Hey Outlaw, I've heard that a guy named Miami1683 over on Droid Forums, who is considered a very reliable "source" is telling all of us who are Verizon Droid people, thinking of jumping on the AT&T Atrix bandwagon (that would be me!) to cool our jets and be patient, because the phone that will be released under the name Droid Bionic is the long rumored Targa, and will be pure vanilla Google Android (maybe/probably with Gingerbread), with an *unlocked* bootloader, and will be released much earlier than early Winter - he's saying more like early Summer. I don't have his exact post handy, but he's saying it will NOT be the CDMA version of the Atrix that was shown at the CES in January (that phone appears to be dead), but rather the dual core monster known unofficially as the Targa - but being released under the defunct phone's name. I believe Miami is reporting accurately, as to what he was told, but I can't visualize Motorola & Verizon smilingly giving us an unlocked Super Phone...it's just beyond comprehension.

If I can track down Miami1683's post, I'll try to copy and paste it over here, but it will be difficult to locate, since he's a prolific poster on DF - in the thousands, since he's an Administrator over there.

-Mike

Well, well, well... more rumors about the Targa eh?

I've heard many of them, like the fact that it was going to be a quad-core device. It's hard to really get behind any of these rumors to be honest, until we hear something official out of Moto/Verizon about it. I'm excited to hear just about every rumor surrounding it saying it will have an unlocked bootloader though, that's encouraging.

Like you, I'm just having a hard time believing that after the hard line Moto has taken with the locked bootloaders in all their other devices, that they'd turn around and change tactics on us again. Has the number of signatures on the online petition reached up into the millions or something??? I'm hoping it's true, I'm just not going to hold my breath over it.

It is indeed strange what's going on with the Bionic as well. What happened, did the DX2 come so close to the specs of the Bionic that Motorola sat back and asked, "well why are we launching two practically identical phones back to back"? And therefore decide to keep the DX2 on schedule since it already has a following, and shoehorn the Targa into the Bionic skin since they've already spent so much money on advertising for it?

Crazy stuff going on over there at Motorola I tell you.

Upvote 0
Download the Zedge app from the market and you can find it there.
Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers - Android app on AppBrain

Awesome, great find!

There are TONS of cool ringtones on there. I've never been much of a ringtone kind of guy, but after sampling some of them on there, I just had to download some of them and assign them to some of the people who call me the most.

But my favorite 'D - R - O - I - D' notification is once again telling me when a text has arrived. Good lookin out.

Reactions: fatpomp
Upvote 0
[Snip]

It is indeed strange what's going on with the Bionic as well. What happened, did the DX2 come so close to the specs of the Bionic that Motorola sat back and asked, "well why are we launching two practically identical phones back to back"? And therefore decide to keep the DX2 on schedule since it already has a following, and shoehorn the Targa into the Bionic skin since they've already spent so much money on advertising for it?

Crazy stuff going on over there at Motorola I tell you.

From what I've read, the problem with the original Droid Bionic was that they couldn't get the radio to work correctly with the Verizon 4G network. I'm no a technical person, so I can't give a more detailed explanation than that, but the problems dragged on and on, and Verizon grew increasingly pissed-off until finally, they said ENOUGH - and pulled the plug on that particular phone. There was talk, for awhile, that the GSM Atrix would migrate over to CDMA Verizon, although that was easier said than done. I haven't heard the Atrix making a move story for awhile, so that idea was probably scrapped.

-Mike

Upvote 0
I though the Bionic was for all intents and purposes the CDMA version of the Atrix?

The original Bionic - the one they showed off at the CES in Vegas - was more or less that. There were some slight differences, like less ram on the Bionic, and it wasn't really set up for docking with that netbook-like device (which is one of the features that attracts me to the Atrix)..but that phone IS dead. I had read that they were, at one time, considering *literally* porting the Motorola Atrix to Verizon, just like the iPhone was.

-Mike

Upvote 0
I gotta tell you the more I get into hacking and rooting... unlocked/encrypted bootloaders...roms/themes....The less I want to do to my phone. I really love my TB with all my sense widgets and features. I still root to debloat and add some functionality but I think its time to go out into the world and enjoy our phones!! Good luck outlaw. Have fun in Canadia! lol

Good to see I wasnt the only one. And I started feeling like that with my Droid 1. When Froyo dropped for the Droid 1, I eventually went with stock Froyo and called it a day until I got my X. I have a custom GB ROM on my Droid 1....and I kinda dont like it...lol Do like the screen off effect. I thought it wouldnt matter. My 7 y.o. son noticed it the other day so I might add that to my X.

So when I got the Droid X, I was already not too concerned about the bootloader.

I got the X in July of last year, and I didnt do any custom ROMs/themes until Dec of last year.

Outlaw, I like the G2x. Its one of the phones on my wish list this year. It has to be in AT&T tho. I may have to leave Verizon for better reception and AT&T is the only carrier thats works better in my area. So I may be making the move to another carrier too. And because of that, my wish list is alot longer than last year for a new phone. Between staying on Verizon or moving to AT&T, I got a handful of phones to lust after.

Upvote 0
Awesome, great find!

There are TONS of cool ringtones on there. I've never been much of a ringtone kind of guy, but after sampling some of them on there, I just had to download some of them and assign them to some of the people who call me the most.

But my favorite 'D - R - O - I - D' notification is once again telling me when a text has arrived. Good lookin out.

Cheating! You can't have DROID notification sounds on a non-Droid!

Upvote 0
Yes indeed, it does sting. Anytime a manufacturer claims a product is capable of something, and then it turns out not to be... well you kinda scratch your head a little.

In the G2x forum they are discussing this and they're saying there is a fix coming down the pipe to address this issue. I don't understand how a software patch could do that though, wouldn't that be a hardware issue? I dunno, they can do crazy stuff with these things, so I suppose it's possible.

lots of IC's are programmable or it could be in the software TCP stack.

Upvote 0
you could just copy the folder from one device to the other or sync it with dropbox

Ok I do have Dropbox and I've been trying to figure out how to work it that way. I opened up dropbox on my DX and looked through the list of stuff in there and couldn't really recognize any of the file names. So I have no clue how I'm supposed to find the file that would be the folder on the SD card holding the TiBU back up files... or am I supposed to just send all of that to my G2x?

I don't really know how to sync using dropbox. I've uploaded everything via dropbox on my DX. But how do I get that to now download onto my LG? I also downloaded 'Bump' on both devices trying to send files from one device to the next, but I can't figure out how to work that either. I have tried turning on wifi on both devices, but when I bump it says it could not make a connection. So I turned wifi off and turned bluetooth on and it still said no connection. If it has to go through the 3g connection then I'm screwed because my DX no longer has service through Verizon.

This is an area I feel Google needs to work on and catch up to Apple in. If you have an iPhone 3 and get the iPhone 4, you simply plug your new iPhone into your computer and everything that you have on your iPhone 3 will be synced to your iPhone 4 through iTunes. I'm not saying I want it to be like that per say, I'm just saying they need to have a way to get the same end result. When you move from one Android device to the next it should be seamless.

I'm having problems with some of my paid apps. For instance I downloaded the free version of 'Titanium Backup' back when donating $5 bucks within the app unlocked all the premium services. So on my DX it shows that I have the premium TiBU. But on my LG when I go into the market and download 'Titanium Backup' it shows up on my device as the free version and none of the premium services are unlocked. Then there is the paid version on the market, but it isn't showing up that I bought it because I didn't buy it off the market, I donated from within the free version.

Getting your new Android device to the same place your old one was (not including being rooted, ROMs, themes or any of that stuff... that obviously isn't meant to carry over) is a lot more work than it should be IMO.

Upvote 0
lots of IC's are programmable or it could be in the software TCP stack.

Ok after much reading over on XDA it seems as though the general concensus is that the G2x has the hardware (the radios) to be compatible with AT&T, but T-Mobile had them shut them off via the software on the phone until such a time as when the merger were to actually go through. At which time they could just send out an update and POOF, they would suddenly work.

So now the devs are trying to get around the block on their own. And as open as this device is (I'm already rooted and experimental kernels are already being flashed... I don't think the bootloader even had a token lock on it like HTC devices come with), I'd say within the next few weeks or so they'll have it figured out. There seems to be a lot of big names working on this thing.

Upvote 0
Ok I do have Dropbox and I've been trying to figure out how to work it that way. I opened up dropbox on my DX and looked through the list of stuff in there and couldn't really recognize any of the file names. So I have no clue how I'm supposed to find the file that would be the folder on the SD card holding the TiBU back up files... or am I supposed to just send all of that to my G2x?

I don't really know how to sync using dropbox. I've uploaded everything via dropbox on my DX. But how do I get that to now download onto my LG? I also downloaded 'Bump' on both devices trying to send files from one device to the next, but I can't figure out how to work that either. I have tried turning on wifi on both devices, but when I bump it says it could not make a connection. So I turned wifi off and turned bluetooth on and it still said no connection. If it has to go through the 3g connection then I'm screwed because my DX no longer has service through Verizon.

This is an area I feel Google needs to work on and catch up to Apple in. If you have an iPhone 3 and get the iPhone 4, you simply plug your new iPhone into your computer and everything that you have on your iPhone 3 will be synced to your iPhone 4 through iTunes. I'm not saying I want it to be like that per say, I'm just saying they need to have a way to get the same end result. When you move from one Android device to the next it should be seamless.

I'm having problems with some of my paid apps. For instance I downloaded the free version of 'Titanium Backup' back when donating $5 bucks within the app unlocked all the premium services. So on my DX it shows that I have the premium TiBU. But on my LG when I go into the market and download 'Titanium Backup' it shows up on my device as the free version and none of the premium services are unlocked. Then there is the paid version on the market, but it isn't showing up that I bought it because I didn't buy it off the market, I donated from within the free version.

Getting your new Android device to the same place your old one was (not including being rooted, ROMs, themes or any of that stuff... that obviously isn't meant to carry over) is a lot more work than it should be IMO.

Tibkup has the option in its settings to sync with drop box or just copy the "titaniumbackup" folder from the sd card to the new phones sd card. The sync can take some time so I would personally copy the folder.

Also if you select the option to backup to Google if you reset the phone its (supposed) to download all your apps and settings from google. It works fairly well except sometimes it doesn't seem to want to sync until you visit the market.

To get the Tibkup to the paid version just copy the license to the phones sd and only download the free versions. the new paid version never shows up as "purchased" but the free version with the License key is the same thing.

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0
Tibkup has the option in its settings to sync with drop box or just copy the "titaniumbackup" folder from the sd card to the new phones sd card. The sync can take some time so I would personally copy the folder.

Also if you select the option to backup to Google if you reset the phone its (supposed) to download all your apps and settings from google. It works fairly well except sometimes it doesn't seem to want to sync until you visit the market.

To get the Tibkup to the paid version just copy the license to the phones sd and only download the free versions. the new paid version never shows up as "purchased" but the free version with the License key is the same thing.

Great info, thank you so much for explaining that to me, really helps!

I do know how Google Back-up is supposed to work, I've just never personally had much luck with it. Just before porting my number from my Verizon account to my T-Mobile account I went in and made a fresh back up manually with Google Back-Up. Yet when I activated my G2x and punched in my gmail account, it only loaded up 68 of my more than 200 apps that I had loaded on my DX.

All of my numbers transfered over just fine. But the apps are finicky for some reason. I've noticed this everytime I've ever SBF'd my DX back to stock and started over as well. It never could seem to keep track of all my apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones