• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's out! It's out! No more rumors!

Am I correct that the N4 is just a touch heavier too? If so that sort of bums me out. Unless the device is getting a bigger screen, you'd assume lighter is the way to go. For those in the know, is the weight negligible?

If the Note 4 is slightly heavier than the Note 3, I don't think that should be considered a deal breaker. The Note 2 was heavier than the Note 3, so basically the Note 4 regained the weight that the Note 3 lost from the Note 2...it's really a moot point. I seriously haven't noticed the weight difference from the Note 2 vs. the Note 3, so doubt there'll be much difference between the Note 4 and Note 3.

Upvote 0
The media from several sites stated the N4 is a little over 2mm taller and .6mm wider than the N3. Wrong then....

Note 3 at $489 from Verizon seems a better buy for me. Especially since true 64 bit chips with smaller micron fab should release in mass next Spring-ish. The Note 3 would then be a fine back-up device. Not seeing $300 more value from the N4, or $600-ish from the Edge.

I am very shallow, since want more CPU power for emulators :) The 800, 801, and 805 are the same for CPU power. The GPU's are the difference and emulators are 1% GPU centric. The Note 3 plays everything tested smoothly (Android games, not emulators). Especially compared to the G3. The G3 even chugs on some emulators compared to the S4- likely due to the throttling.

Added: Point is the 64bit chips will be the big step for CPU power. 64bit does little for the GPU, but as the A7 proved, helps big time with CPU.

Upvote 0
Overall not much of an upgrade over the n3 for me. The camera on the 4 should be a ton better, but I don't see much else. The screen was already plenty sharp on the n3 and I am willing to bet the 4's screen isn't quite as bright. Also, I can't believe they didn't include dust/waterproofing! That to me was the one feature that might've still made me purchase the 4.
I would rather have had the speaker on the bottom like the 3. Not sure why they moved it to the back? Anyways, if you have the note 2, this would be a worthy upgrade. For those of us with the 3, it's really not very compelling at all.

Upvote 0
Added: Point is the 64bit chips will be the big step for CPU power. 64bit does little for the GPU, but as the A7 proved, helps big time with CPU.

A7 proved nothing, 64Bit helps in some benchmarks? most definitely yes, helps in general applications? Nope.

This had been explained over and over but recompiling an application over to 64bit does not guaranty any noticeable performance boost.

Upvote 0
The media from several sites stated the N4 is a little over 2mm taller and .6mm wider than the N3. Wrong then....

Note 3 at $489 from Verizon seems a better buy for me. Especially since true 64 bit chips with smaller micron fab should release in mass next Spring-ish. The Note 3 would then be a fine back-up device. Not seeing $300 more value from the N4, or $600-ish from the Edge.

I am very shallow, since want more CPU power for emulators :) The 800, 801, and 805 are the same for CPU power. The GPU's are the difference and emulators are 1% GPU centric. The Note 3 plays everything tested smoothly (Android games, not emulators). Especially compared to the G3. The G3 even chugs on some emulators compared to the S4- likely due to the throttling.

Put down the Koolaid. I'm most likely going to get the iPhone 6, but I don't think I've ever drunk as much of their marketing Koolaid as you seem to have regarding that CPU.

First of all, Apple *always* upgrades the CPU in their iPhones when a new one comes out, and it always comes out with better performance. I don't remember any iPhone CPU performing the same or worse than its predecessor, because Apple always improved the Processor Cores as well as the Clock Speeds with each iteration of the device...

This was true even when they were 32-Bit, both on the CPU and GPU side. You can go to YouTube and watch Apple's past keynotes, all of them, to see how massive they say the CPU upgrade is on each subsequent iPhone.

So, pardon me, but you're seemingly attributing everything to 64-Bit, when it seems fairly obvious that even if the CPU was 32-Bit, they'd have produced a better one, anyways. They don't need to max their cores out on their flagships. What other iPhone do they have to compare with? Comparing hardware across platforms is worthless and only people with no decent knowledge of software do that. The only thing we don't know, is to what extent the 64-Bit affected it, but I really doubt it's as significant as you seem to be implying, and benchmarks seem to suggest that.

Additionally, GPU does matter. The iPhone 5S has a much lower screen resolution than the Note 3, never mind the Note 4, so the game will still run better even if it isn't as GPU demanding as some current 3D mobile games. There are still gains there. You should know this, because you state obvious issues with the G3 running games using an SoC not necessarily targeted at driving those high resolution displays.

Each subsequent QC CPU is better than the last. The 805 is better than the 801 is better than the 800. There is a performance gain going from one to another. Synthetic benchmarks proves this. A lot of general purpose tasks simply do not benefit much from 64-Bit and really a 64-Bit CPU is of little use if the System Software and apps aren't 64-Bit.

A lot of the issues you deal with aren't just because of the difference in 32 and 64-Bit. Some of it has to do with the platform design and the libraries and APIs available to the developers. Quite Frankly, the capability for optimizing best for performance is higher on iOS than it is on Android - especially if one wants to avoid being a multi-lingual app developer.

Upvote 0
For the most part the phone choices usually are a matter of preference unless you are an uberGeek who will fight over this in some junk measuring contest. For a number of years now the phones haven't been THAT different to make android or apple the clear choice.

However this time there is one cool difference that is not minor, and I think is being undersold.

These Phablets are at their hearts entertainment and gaming devices. Why get one otherwise? You can get a regular phone phone for free.

Samsung teaming up with Oculus (the company that Facebook Mark Zuckerberg spent $2 billion to buy after experiencing their headset) and being able to turn a Note 4 into a VR gaming device is a game changer. The kind of 'wow' thing that we used to expect from a new Apple phone when Jobs was around. If the phone sets you back $300 with a two year contract and another $200 for the VR headset, there is a pretty huge market for that kind of thing. I know that people are excited about the new iphone, but I have heard nothing from it that wows, especially nothing like this.

The bad thing is that it is only being offered through Sprint right now. But my God, how cool. I am getting in line for one as soon as they become available. Just imagine wandering by a Sprint store or kiosk and seeing this. Trying it out. Sprint is up over 2% today and I do not think that it is unrelated to this addition.

It will be the must have item for the holidays.

Upvote 0
For the most part the phone choices usually are a matter of preference unless you are an uberGeek who will fight over this in some junk measuring contest. For a number of years now the phones haven't been THAT different to make android or apple the clear choice.

However this time there is one cool difference that is not minor, and I think is being undersold.

These Phablets are at their hearts entertainment and gaming devices. Why get one otherwise? You can get a regular phone phone for free.

Samsung teaming up with Oculus (the company that Facebook Mark Zuckerberg spent $2 billion to buy after experiencing their headset) and being able to turn a Note 4 into a VR gaming device is a game changer. The kind of 'wow' thing that we used to expect from a new Apple phone when Jobs was around. If the phone sets you back $300 with a two year contract and another $200 for the VR headset, there is a pretty huge market for that kind of thing. I know that people are excited about the new iphone, but I have heard nothing from it that wows, especially nothing like this.

The bad thing is that it is only being offered through Sprint right now. But my God, how cool. I am getting in line for one as soon as they become available. Just imagine wandering by a Sprint store or kiosk and seeing this. Trying it out. Sprint is up over 2% today and I do not think that it is unrelated to this addition.

It will be the must have item for the holidays.
I guess some of us do live in a small world.

I don't play games on my phones, and my entertainment comes from having funny IM conversations and listening to music.

The Note series is a productivity machine. The big screen is used for multi-tasking and being able to deal with large documents better, as well as better deal with video, images, and other multimedia that some need for work and training purposes. The reason why the microphones are amazing is because reporters like to use it for interviews and things like that, not because they play Karaoke with their phone.

A lot of free phones won't do what the Note 3 does, and most free phones won't do what the Note 3 does at its performance level. It outperforms almost every other S800 device on the market (not 801 or 805).

If you use your phone for Video Analysis, Serious Note Taking, Multi-Tasking, etc. then a 5.1" screen is simply inferior to the Note's 5.7" screen.

Almost everyone at the training facility asks me to take the video with my Note, because they prefer to look at it and analyze it on my screen than their smaller screens.

I just met another person there with a Note 3, for the same reason, so there's now 3 of us there.

There's a reason why Samsung targets this device as a prosumer device, because that's what they developed it for. If they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread for gaming and watching videos, they'd be marketing towards that area. There are other devices that do that (Apple's iPod Touch, for example, used this kind of marketing). The Note 3 is not one of them.

Also, the size of the device makes it actually very awkward for gaming in anything that requires the use of the sensors to steer by tilting the device. Smaller devices like the iPod Touch and iPhones work much better for those, and the capacitive buttons means the phone must be held awkwardly almost always when in landscape mode while gaming or watching videos.

I do agree that it's worthless to argue about phones and "measure ePeens," but iOS and the iPhone have an undeniable services/ecosystem and quality/exclusives advantage over Android and it's a selling point for that device/platform. A very enticing one when the Note Series basically costs the same or more than the base iPhone SKU.

Upvote 0
I guess some of us do live in a small world.

I don't play games on my phones, and my entertainment comes from having funny IM conversations and listening to music.

The Note series is a productivity machine. The big screen is used for multi-tasking and being able to deal with large documents better, as well as better deal with video, images, and other multimedia that some need for work and training purposes. The reason why the microphones are amazing is because reporters like to use it for interviews and things like that, not because they play Karaoke with their phone.

A lot of free phones won't do what the Note 3 does, and most free phones won't do what the Note 3 does at its performance level. It outperforms almost every other S800 device on the market (not 801 or 805).

If you use your phone for Video Analysis, Serious Note Taking, Multi-Tasking, etc. then a 5.1" screen is simply inferior to the Note's 5.7" screen.

Almost everyone at the training facility asks me to take the video with my Note, because they prefer to look at it and analyze it on my screen than their smaller screens.

I just met another person there with a Note 3, for the same reason, so there's now 3 of us there.

There's a reason why Samsung targets this device as a prosumer device, because that's what they developed it for. If they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread for gaming and watching videos, they'd be marketing towards that area. There are other devices that do that (Apple's iPod Touch, for example, used this kind of marketing). The Note 3 is not one of them.

Also, the size of the device makes it actually very awkward for gaming in anything that requires the use of the sensors to steer by tilting the device. Smaller devices like the iPod Touch and iPhones work much better for those, and the capacitive buttons means the phone must be held awkwardly almost always when in landscape mode while gaming or watching videos.

I suppose that I wasn't clear. And I apologize for that.

Of course the Note has spectacular business applications, among many other applications.

What I was trying to say was that it has been quite a while since any of the phones had the 'wow, I have to get that' sort of thing that USED to be associated with Apple.

The VR headset in my opinion is one of those things.

The main thing is that it is portable, not wired like the Oculus, so you can take it anywhere and have fun with it. Nice day out and your girl is shopping, let her do her thing and you can enjoy a 3D movie or game. I can imagine this being paired with a Note for say $450 at Christmas time with a two year agreement.

It certainly has that wow factor.

None of that discounts what you said, but none of what you like about the Note is a wow factor or is going to be that different than what the bigger Apple will bring, will it?

Upvote 0

The phone fits within the VR headset so the size for that purpose isn't relevant, only the picture quality.

Upvote 0
I was comparing the note 3 and 4 for size. The note 3 is thicker and heavier than the opo. The note 4 is heavier again.
Simples.

You're guessing incorrectly, and splitting hairs.

The Note 3 is 8.3 mm, the OPO is thicker at 8.9 mm.

The Note 3 is a mere 6 grams heavier, but that's including the stylus that OPO is missing.

Fairly compared with Stylus removed, My Note 3 only weighs 152g compared to 162g for my OPO.

So you'll see that none of these numbers are deal breakers unless the user is suffering from very weak muscles...Lol :)

Upvote 0
The phone fits within the VR headset so the size for that purpose isn't relevant, only the picture quality.

I'm speaking ergonomics.

IIRC, Oculus uses a Galaxy Note 3 screen in their developer modules? Seems to work fine for then, no? None of the reviewers complained about the screen in it.

Also, the picture quality on the Note 3 is fine. I never said the Note 4 wasn't better, either.

The person above said that the understated selling point of these devices is that they are great media hubs... Yay! He just described basically every modern flagship device.

The only thing that makes the Note 3 better than other devices at certain tasks, like watching video, is due chiefly due to its design and not due to some specific targeting by Samsung. HTC deliberately put their speakers in front of the device and made them give big sound for that reason, Samsung makes no efforts like that on their Note smartphones.

Yes, they want people like Artists, Musicians, Students, Journalists, etc. to use their phone. For this, they have to make improvements in all the expected places that any device has to make improvements: Color Accuracy, Brightness, Fast Auto-Brightness Adjustments, Sharpness, Saturation, etc.

But most of the features on the note are geared primarily towards productivity. The S Pen features they announced had nothing to do with gaming. The Microphone features have nothing to do with gaming. S Note isn't a game. You don't multi-window games.

People who do a lot of mobile gaming, not so ironically, tend to prefer smaller devices not bigger ones. Large phones are an ergonomic disaster for devices that require a lot of tilting and panning for gameplay, as well as those that lay controls out across the display canvas.

Samsung didn't showcase any games in their Gear VR announcement either, not in the staged event I seen, unless I fast forwarded past it (which means it couldn't have lasted that long since I was only skipping a couple minutes at a time). The VR headset also won't come with the phone, and will likely cost a pretty penny. It will also require developers to modify games to utilize its abilities, and if the S Pen and Multi-Window/Data Sharing SDK usage among the most popular applications are any indication... LOL! Okay...

And, even in its intended niches, that was an issue with the Note 3... There are some things that are done well in it from a productivity standpoint (like being able to drag and drop data from one app to another), but application support is extremely volatile. A lot of developers are ignoring those SDKs and not implementing support for them in their applications.

Since the functionality in 3rd party apps depends on developers implementing support, you end up with a device with cool "potential functionality" that is dormant in most of the 3rd party apps you have on your phone, which makes it seem more like a "gimmick" than useful functionality (and can be quite frustrating as it makes the UX seem rather fractured).

I wish Samsung (or Google?) would focus on these types of things.

This is mostly a hardware refresh so I don't have any real qualms with the device itself, mind you. I already have a Note 3 so I just can't justify spending $700+ on a Note 4 when I can diversity and get a bit more value for my purchase by branching out at this point.

Upvote 0
I'm speaking ergonomics.

IIRC, Oculus uses a Galaxy Note 3 screen in their developer modules? Seems to work fine for then, no? None of the reviewers complained about the screen in it.

Also, the picture quality on the Note 3 is fine. I never said the Note 4 wasn't better, either.

The person above said that the understated selling point of these devices is that they are great media hubs... Yay! He just described basically every modern flagship device.

The only thing that makes the Note 3 better than other devices at certain tasks, like watching video, is due chiefly due to its design and not due to some specific targeting by Samsung. HTC deliberately put their speakers in front of the device and made them give big sound for that reason, Samsung makes no efforts like that on their Note smartphones.

Yes, they want people like Artists, Musicians, Students, Journalists, etc. to use their phone. For this, they have to make improvements in all the expected places that any device has to make improvements: Color Accuracy, Brightness, Fast Auto-Brightness Adjustments, Sharpness, Saturation, etc.

But most of the features on the note are geared primarily towards productivity. The S Pen features they announced had nothing to do with gaming. The Microphone features have nothing to do with gaming. S Note isn't a game. You don't multi-window games.

People who do a lot of mobile gaming, not so ironically, tend to prefer smaller devices not bigger ones. Large phones are an ergonomic disaster for devices that require a lot of tilting and panning for gameplay, as well as those that lay controls out across the display canvas.

Samsung didn't showcase any games in their Gear VR announcement either, not in the staged event I seen, unless I fast forwarded past it (which means it couldn't have lasted that long since I was only skipping a couple minutes at a time). The VR headset also won't come with the phone, and will likely cost a pretty penny. It will also require developers to modify games to utilize its abilities, and if the S Pen and Multi-Window/Data Sharing SDK usage among the most popular applications are any indication... LOL! Okay...

And, even in its intended niches, that was an issue with the Note 3... There are some things that are done well in it from a productivity standpoint (like being able to drag and drop data from one app to another), but application support is extremely volatile. A lot of developers are ignoring those SDKs and not implementing support for them in their applications.

Since the functionality in 3rd party apps depends on developers implementing support, you end up with a device with cool "potential functionality" that is dormant in most of the 3rd party apps you have on your phone, which makes it seem more like a "gimmick" than useful functionality (and can be quite frustrating as it makes the UX seem rather fractured).

I wish Samsung (or Google?) would focus on these types of things.

This is mostly a hardware refresh so I don't have any real qualms with the device itself, mind you. I already have a Note 3 so I just can't justify spending $700+ on a Note 4 when I can diversity and get a bit more value for my purchase by branching out at this point.

They did speak a couple of minutes about the importance of content, and of the partners that they have signed up to provide content.

They showed examples of movies, etc, which you can watch in VR as well.

Look, I am not trying to talk you into buying a Note 4, I started by saying that all of this was individual preference for the most part.

All that I was saying is that for a number of years now I was looking for a 'wow' thing with a new release, from both Apple and Samsung, and always came away disappointed. The kind of game changer Apple had once been known for. This is the first wow thing I have seen in a long time. And though it may not appeal to you at all, there are a LOT of people who it will appeal to.

I have watched thousands spend $60 on up to attend a rock concert with the lead singer a Vocaloid. If there is not a huge market for a device for a couple hundred dollars that you can watch a 3D rock concert, movie, game, than I will eat my hat. As I said, the founder of facebook bet $2 billion on Oculus. If you are correct and there are not enough out there who are not like you and will not spend money on this, he is out a lot of money.

Upvote 0
Just a couple of observations from hands on videos and articles...The size difference between the two seems to be negligible. In the droid life video the guy said they were pretty much exactly the same except he thought the 4 was a tad slimmer (probably just feels that way in the hand.) I was worried that with the qhd resolution the screen would be noticeably dimmer than the 3, but another article mentioned how the 4 looked brighter. Not a scientific test by any means, but still promising.

Upvote 0
I passed on the original Note then bought the N2. Best phone I've ever had. To this day I love that phone. Note 3 came out and I held back buying because no major upgrades that appealed to me.
Now the N4 is out. Time to upgrade. Great advancements and improvements. Samsung has put out a decent phone. N4 or edge is yet to be determined, but I'm leaning towards the N4.
I don't post much on these forums. It gets boring reading so many "Tit for Tat" postings.
Bottom line. Samsung makes good stuff. If you're into big screens, the Note is the way to go. My first smart phone was a Palm treo 600, with a stylist. Anyone remember "Perry" from the old Palm Forums? Thank you Samsung for reviving a wonderful concept.
At 71 years old, the large screen helps my tired eyes focus on content. I'll love my N4 for two years and can't wait to learn want the N6 will offer.
Have a great day everyone.

Reactions: rsmin
Upvote 0
How anyone can say the note 4 isn't a clear upgrade to the note 3 is beyond me. I'll definitely be getting this beast of a phone., and I thought the Note 3 was the best phone out. The Note 4 is even better, no way around that.

What makes it a "clear" upgrade for you? What might be upgrades for you, might not be for others.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
A7 proved nothing, 64Bit helps in some benchmarks? most definitely yes, helps in general applications? Nope.

This had been explained over and over but recompiling an application over to 64bit does not guaranty any noticeable performance boost.

Nope, the A7 is an absolute CPU beast and per Anandtech, due to the 64bit architecture. It helps the CPU, but not the GPU. A good example is MAME 139. Per the devs the IOS and Android versions are compiled virtually the same, but Dead or Alive +, Soul Calibur and other 3D games are literally arcade smooth on the Air, but herky jerky messes on the current Octa chips and the 805. I always use MAME as the litmus for CPU power, since MAME is all CPU for game emulation.

The A7 backs up the benchmarks with CPU performance. The previous iPad 3 had the A6 and MAME was slow like the Octa and Qualcomm chips.

Upvote 0
What makes it a "clear" upgrade for you? What moght be upgrades for you, might not be for others.

Yep, and can depend on if paying full price or not. If already own an N3, I do not see $800 worth of improvement in the N4.

If upgrading and paying $300, perhaps... The key is if you like all the new bloat bling and display enough to jump. Battery life and performance will be the same.

I find a lot of the stuff on Sammy devices superfluous and deactivate the stuff as soon as I get the device. Multi window, smart stay, NFC, air view, etc. OFF. I know folks like some of the stuff, but see it all as resource hogging fluff.

I do not even see $300 worth of new phone here due to the battery life and performance being the same. Again, I am more than fine with a 27" 1080p LED computer monitor. The main difference on the N4 is the display to me.

Added:

I need to pay full price, so I do not even see $800 worth of device compared to my S4. Now, if the CPU was a lot faster for emulators and the battery life was better- Perhaps. The reality is the 805 has the same basic 28nm silicon as the S600 and the CPU is not much faster. This chip family hit the CPU performance ceiling a year ago. The gains have been GPU and they do nothing for emulators. The S4 plays all new Gameloft and other 3D games smoothly.

Would like a bigger display though, but not for $800 smackers. N3 for $500 seems the better buy.

Upvote 0
Yep, and can depend on if paying full price or not. If already own an N3, I do not see $800 worth of improvement in the N4.

If upgrading and paying $300, perhaps... The key is if you like all the new bloat bling and display enough to jump. Battery life and performance will be the same.

I find a lot of the stuff on Sammy devices superfluous and deactivate the stuff as soon as I get the device. Multi window, smart stay, NFC, air view, etc. OFF. I know folks like some of the stuff, but see it all as resource hogging fluff.

I do not even see $300 worth of new phone here due to the battery life and performance being the same. Again, I am more than fine with a 27" 1080p LED computer monitor. The main difference on the N4 is the display to me.

Added:

I need to pay full price, so I do not even see $800 worth of device compared to my S4. Now, if the CPU was a lot faster for emulators and the battery life was better- Perhaps. The reality is the 805 has the same basic 28nm silicon as the S600 and the CPU is not much faster. This chip family hit the CPU performance ceiling a year ago. The gains have been GPU and they do nothing for emulators. The S4 plays all new Gameloft and other 3D games smoothly.

Would like a bigger display though, but not for $800 smackers. N3 for $500 seems the better buy.

I do the same with all the side stuff - everything is off or frozen via titanium. Don't want the sidebar, multi-window, etc. Never use the S pen honestly. Maybe I pull it out of the holster once a month just to see if it works. I love the N3 for the display size and quality, battery life and performance. Those are the things that matter for me.

As far as an extra $300 between the N3 and N4 - if it were me I'd be spending the extra for the N4 IF I didn't have the N3 yet. Although we need to see real world use of the N4, I think the on paper improvements look good enough to spend what amounts to about $.75 per day over the course of the next year of use for the N4 over the N3. That's just me though. As an N3 owner since launch last year, I am very happy with my N3 (I am even still on 4.3 as I freeze OTA updates via Titanium), and will have to see how the N4 stacks up in real world use and from using it myself hopefully in-store to compare the Displays. I have 4 phones on my Verizon acct and I almost always have an upgrade available on one of my lines, so subsidized it may be worth $299 to upgrade for me. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Nothing the Note 4 has over the Note 3 is worth $300 more. If you can get the 3 for $300 less, it's a steal. We all know the new UX and a bunch of other features will be back ported to the Note 3. The New S Note, etc.

You're basically paying $300 for a better camera, and whether you think it's worth that much is up to you. The hardware upgrades are noteworthy, but not worth that price unless you plan to use some of the accessories specifically designed for the Note 4 (like the VR headset).

1080p is still fine. Some may think the screen is worth it. I'm pretty meh on the spec wars these days, so I'm a lot less willing to pay for hardware upgrades that don't offer much more from a usability perspective. The new Digitizer features are not of use to me. I'm not an artist, though the PC mouse-like functionality (which is totally viable on a Note 3, so it's best to wait a while if that's what most interests you) is kind of nifty.

I can almost guarantee the new Multi-Window features will come to the Note 3. Samsung will *still* want to sell those even after the Note 3 launches, just as it does with the Galaxy S series and their predecessors.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones