• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's out! It's out! No more rumors!

What would be an example of power user on a phone?

What test can I perform to see for myself.

Power user would be someone who uses their phone heavily and for tasks an ordinary user wouldn't do much of.

A lot of times phones have placebo great battery life because light users don't tax the hardware. Give it to a power user doing media manipulation, video analysis, tons of photography/videography, a lot of high end gaming, etc. On the device and that's when issues like overheating and performance throttling start to become a problem.

When the performance is limited. Some things can start to take 30-50% longer to accomplish, and often these aren't split second tasks for the phone.

The phone is also designed to drop frames/limit screen refresh rate under some circumstances to keep power draw down to a manageable level.

There is so much that LG did that simply doesn't need to be done with an S805 to achieve equal or better battery life compared to an S800/801 device with a 1080p panel.

Upvote 0
Power user would be someone who uses their phone heavily and for tasks an ordinary user wouldn't do much of.

A lot of times phones have placebo great battery life because light users don't tax the hardware. Give it to a power user doing media manipulation, video analysis, tons of photography/videography, a lot of high end gaming, etc. On the device and that's when issues like overheating and performance throttling start to become a problem.

When the performance is limited. Some things can start to take 30-50% longer to accomplish, and often these aren't split second tasks for the phone.

The phone is also designed to drop frames/limit screen refresh rate under some circumstances to keep power draw down to a manageable level.

There is so much that LG did that simply doesn't need to be done with an S805 to achieve equal or better battery life compared to an S800/801 device with a 1080p panel.
Agreed. As I said before, when you actually begin to dig into the G3 and test it properly you relalise there has been so many corners cut and performance trade offs for the QHD display. I'm sure 90% of users and general public will never notice. It just annoys me and I'm sure tech heads which I'd why I could never use it as a daily driver.

Upvote 0
Tests comparing the G3 and N4 will be interesting. My guess is the N4 will pummel the G3 in every comparison point except one hand usability and UI (LG's UI seems better than Wiz).

UI though is a simple Nova change to fix. I use Nova anyway.

Added: I got more annoyed at the G3 each time I messed with it. It was a good 1080p display away from being the best IMO. LG sales though would laugh at such lamenting.

Upvote 0
Tests comparing the G3 and N4 will be interesting. My guess is the N4 will pummel the G3 in every comparison point except one hand usability and UI (LG's UI seems better than Wiz).

UI though is a simple Nova change to fix. I use Nova anyway.

Added: I got more annoyed at the G3 each time I messed with it. It was a good 1080p display away from being the best IMO. LG sales though would laugh at such lamenting.
The GS5 Prime is pretty much pumelling the G3. Even the G3 805 version was 7000 Antutus slower than the GS5 805 Prime. All because of the cooler AMOLED QHD display.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update... I've just retired my note 3 for the oneplus one.
All I can say is WOW.
its smooth as silk, quicker as the n3 and the screen and design is stunning. N4...whats that?! Lol.
The Note 3 kicks OnePlus butt due to having a micro sd slot, no navigation bar taking space and amoled display.

Have no clue on the Note 4, but you should be ashamed as far as the 3 ;) :)

Upvote 0
If you have over 40GB remaining on the 1+1, it means that you probably aren't even using 10GB of storage and that's between user data and applications.

That's why the SD Card is non-factor for you, on a 1+1 as well as on a Note. In your case, even without the SD Card, the Note 3 would still have about as much internal storage left over as a Galaxy S5 has on first boot.

Yes, SD Cards are not that important when you have a phone with 32GB or more storage in it. A lot of people on tech forums crowd out the normal people by making more noise, but the fact and the matter is that's generally how the market is these days.

The OEMs pay very little for the storage upgrades, so even though they charge less per tier upgrade than, for example, Apple; most people are still getting super hosed in the pricing for extra storage they'll probably never use.

Secondly, offloading stuff to the SD Card can improve the performance and shelf life of the phone. A lot of apps do a lot of caching and offloading those writes to the SD Card is useful in that respect.

A lot of companies are pricing down really low, because frankly, it's the only way to get people to care about their handsets. If the 1+1 was priced like a One M8, Galaxy S5, or even a G3 barely anyone here would be talking about it. The only reason most people show interest in those phones from the lesser known entities is cause they severely underprice the established players.

And that's good for them, but it is also bad overall for the industry as a whole because it's accelerating the race to the bottom, which will put device lines in a perpetual treadmill of "mediocre" upgrades because the profits are dropping while R&D and Marketing costs are rising thanks to a more competitive/cutthroat market and the fact that "new processor" is no longer a reason to buy a new phone since they all run fantastically, even those from 2 years ago...

Upvote 0
Addendum: I'm not saying device prices are currently fine. Some manufacturers do try to rake in very high margins from their devices (Apple, Blackberry, and Samsung to an extent), when they can get by with less.

I think most people look at "Bill of Materials" and think that is the price to make the device, when it's a ton higher than that.

Parts, Labour, Shipping, Packaging, Marketing, R&D, IP Licensing, Development (FW and Security Updates, etc.) and Support Costs, Accessories in the box, etc.

What you get in the mail/from the carrier store costs a ton more than the bill of materials.

Companies like Xiaomi and OnePlus (and Google on the Nexus) are making almost nothing on those phones. That's fine when you have Services (Mi) and Search/Advertising (Google) to rake in most of your profits, but I question how long OnePlus can maintain that business model, especially if they actually plan to release a high end, super low cost phone in more than scarce quantities in the future.

Upvote 0
Well I'm finding no quality issues with opo. Note 3 come on the design is awful. Cheap chromed plastic, no quality feel at all. The device I respect is one of the best out there, but opo being over half the price lower , better design /style (which I know is subjective) and performance on par, Samsung really have to try harder in future.
For years they've been criticised for design and bloat but each release seems to get worse in that respect.
All I'm saying is if opo can make a device as good and looks better for half the price, Samsung are up shit Street and this is being reflected in their share price!
Yes I know it has the s pen, sd card and removable battery, but I've twice the memory...
If Sammy release the n4 around

Upvote 0
Telling someone they should be ashamed is taking it a bit far, no?
... You did see ;) didn't you? ;)

Added: As far as BOM costs, multiply that cost times at least 2.5. That is the usual minimum consumer price for all the things it takes to get a product in the hands of consumers- and all the people up stream to make their piece of the $ pie $.

Added 2: Based on this and other forums lack of excitement even now, I really hope Samsung is not assuming the Note 4 is going to turn the sales tide for them. Double yikes.

Samsung should have also released the Qhd verison of the S5 in the US- with 32GB of course. THAT would be their main stream seller. The sales velocity of the S5 has already hit discount status- especially with iPhone 6 looming. What kind of Samung management bubble do they have to not see this? Compared to the also big G3, Note 4 so far seems to have garnered the excitement of reading a ketchup label.

I think the G3 has a LOT to do with that on the Android side and iPhone is about to smash them on the other. What a s**t sandwich situation- the power hogging, contrast challenged displayed G3 that appeases the masses for Android and the iTunes gated iPhone 6 on the other. Say it aint so, SammO.

On a side note, apparently the S5 sales were also hurt more this time by a lack of 32GB model. This is per Best Buy and Verizon folks. Most upgrading have now probably bought G3s. I would have too if a better quality 1080p display, but I aint' one of the targeted masses.

Upvote 0
Beautiful. I've been waiting so damn long for the Note 4 to be announced. My only hope is that it releases within a week. I would be freaking ecstatic.

Most likely coming out a month later, at least in the U.S. I wish they would already have things ready and have pre-order in the same week and available purchase and delivery to your door the week after. You know, like Apple does.

Upvote 0
2 more days.

Where can I see this live streaming?

I cant believe the lid is so tight and nothing concrete in picture yet.

I say really late tonight or in the middle of the night if anything might be mentioned. Otherwise I agree. I mean the event is in the morning and that leaves no room for anything else to leak like usual.

Upvote 0
Samsung wants this out before the iPhone hubbub. The thing is I am not sure what this will help them with. The G3 has already scarfed up a lot of customer upgrades and the rest will wait for the iPhones. A 5.7" display device is too big for the majority of people and the device becomes awkward, the smaller the bezels.

Note fans should like the N4, but a lot have already bought the G3. This is ironic to me since find the Note 3 much better than the display challenged G3. That said most are lighter users, so understand the appeal... I guess....

I really think Samsung will regret not offering the Samsung S5 Qhd in other markets and ditto not offering a 32gb model option. Samsung is THIS close to going second fiddle, even for Android.

The Note 4 has no option but be amazing, though even that probably will not be enough to help Samsung out of their sales trend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones