• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root JB and Root

SNeitzel

Android Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone who is rooted and installed safestrap or bootstrap have gotten the JB OTA and how it has worked?
Any issues?
Did you keep root? How?
Any other tips/tricks?

I am rooted and safestraped. Update failed for me... :(

Been too busy to FXZ, but I imagine that is my only option?

I uninstalled safestrap, wiped and reinstalled stock apps. Update downloaded from xda-developers failed after not finding some preinstalled apps (I think).

I uninstalled safestrap, wiped and reinstalled stock apps. Update downloaded from xda-developers failed after not finding some preinstalled apps (I think).

If you are missing preinstalled apps, the update almost always fails (I believe when there is an update to that app; when the update script doesn't find the existing app, I think what happens is that it errors out.)

If you want the update, the best bet is to flash the official ICS build with RSD Lite. Just back up internal storage and your SD card first - the SD card should be ok, but apps and data will be wiped on the phone, as well as internal storage.

I have a feeling it's the same issue with SafeStrap that we had with the ICS update.
Here is what I did:
Backed up my internal and external SD cards
Backed up everything in TiBackup
Thawed everything in TiBackup
Uninstalled Safastrap
Followed these instructions OTA ICS fails at 25% due to bootstrap - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com to completely remove safestrap
Downloaded and installed VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en and backed up root
Applied the OTA update
After reboot ran VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper to recover root

I am now running JB with root access.
NOTE:
I chose to not do a FDR for now, I'll see how things go.
More to come soon...

UPDATE:
Well, it appears that VooDoo RootKeeper did not actually work for me.
It acts like it did but whenever I try to actually do something that requires root it fails.
VooDoo says the device is rooted but it says it does not have root access.
Damn...

There are no apps listed in Superuser as allowed.
I'm guessing that has something to do with it.
Anybody know how to manually restore apps in the superuser list or know any specifics about Voodoo?

UPDATE:
Well, it appears that VooDoo RootKeeper did not actually work for me.
It acts like it did but whenever I try to actually do something that requires root it fails.
VooDoo says the device is rooted but it says it does not have root access.
Damn...

There are no apps listed in Superuser as allowed.
I'm guessing that has something to do with it.
Anybody know how to manually restore apps in the superuser list or know any specifics about Voodoo?
There was something about updating the su file and needing to do it manually for it to be successful.

You may want to read through this thread....
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/217680-droid-bionic-jelly-bean-update.html
It's long, but has a lot of root information in it.

Mine kept root without a problem using VooDoo Rootkeeper...

Perhaps the reason it worked on mine and not another, could be related to how the phone was rooted to start with. I had used MotoFail ( if I recall correctly )...

I've also had not noticed any glitches despite that I haven't done a FDR yet... so far everything seems smooth. I'm debating if I will FDR this weekend or not, just to make sure everything remains smooth.

Thank you, thank you thank you wildkitten!!!

Your link got me to a post by SamuraiHL that led me to this post in xda by Frankie1588.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40340941&postcount=14

The instructions there helped me fix root.

Mad props to wildkitten, SamuraiHL and Frankie1588!

LOL I'm having to do this myself later on when I get home. I had root when I went to upgrade, but Voodoo wouldn't restore root. Samuri think's you have to temp unroot and then restore root will then work in Voodoo after JB is installed.

He is having to walk me through that XDA post in babysteps because I have never done anything like that and that XDA post is like greek to me.

Well, seems as if I will have to live without root. I tried doing that ADB Shell like Samuri went over with me, but I got a message he had never seen before. So, seems I am completely out of luck.

Just a quick follow up....

After performing the FDR... I did have to follow the post by Frankie1588 that SNeitzel had provided a link for. So either the SU got corrupted/replaced or changing the permissions ( chmod ) made the difference.

That sucks wk. Hold out, something may be found, and apparently p3droid has sent Dan R a tweet or three about rooting the BIOIC, but officially Dan has retired from the rooting game....

That sucks wk. Hold out, something may be found, and apparently p3droid has sent Dan R a tweet or three about rooting the BIOIC, but officially Dan has retired from the rooting game....
Yeah, it's no biggie, I just hate Verizon trying to take away root possibilities from us. I had followed Samuri's instructions to the letter and had root before going to JB, but as you know, with this, there is no guarantee of success.

I was following the instructions on an XDA post about using ADB Shell, but it was greek to me. There is a more detailed, step by step post I am going to try to follow tonite, see if that helps.

That's good news about the possibility of Dan R coming back to take a look at it. Hopefully since this is likely the Bionic's last upgrade he will be willing. Samuri hasn't been to hopeful of a root exploit being found, although apparently they may be finding one that is super complicated and requires Linux but Sam hasn't talked more about it in about a day and he himself lost root after the JB install. The Voodoo trick doesn't seem to work for everyone.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed over Dan R being willing to try.

I haven't messed with Linux in a while, we'll see what happens. You can download a program to make a bootable Linux USB file HERE. Not sure what will be needed at this point.

Well, apparently Dan R, the one who found nearly all of Bionic's root exploits to date, is coming back to work on this one. The bad news for some, including me, is there will need to be Linux skills involved and won't be as nearly as simple as running HoB was.
That is good news. When he does find an exploit, chances are there will be others that can take that piece of knowledge and expand on it, making things easier for those of us (like myself) that are Linux ignorant.

Well, seems as if I will have to live without root. I tried doing that ADB Shell like Samuri went over with me, but I got a message he had never seen before. So, seems I am completely out of luck.
You may have run over all of this with Samurai already, but I have a question for you.
You connect your phone in media mode, open a CMD shell (DOS prompt...) and run ADB.exe. The first command you send the phone is SU.
Does it then change the prompt to a # sign?

You may have run over all of this with Samurai already, but I have a question for you.
You connect your phone in media mode, open a CMD shell (DOS prompt...) and run ADB.exe. The first command you send the phone is SU.
Does it then change the prompt to a # sign?
Nope, unfortunately not. Forgot what it brought up for me, but Samuri had said he had never seen the particular message I had got.

Am I understanding all this right? I have a Bionic...I'm stock rooted. I download the update file but it won't install. I have unfrozen everything but still can't get it to install. So....I have to unroot install the update file and then I can't be rooted anymore? If that's the case I'll just flash JB over to my phone and go from there.

Am I understanding all this right? I have a Bionic...I'm stock rooted. I download the update file but it won't install. I have unfrozen everything but still can't get it to install. So....I have to unroot install the update file and then I can't be rooted anymore? If that's the case I'll just flash JB over to my phone and go from there.
No, do not un-root and do not take the update yet. Did you ever have bionic bootstrap or safestrap installed?
EDIT:
Here is why I asked...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr/183428-ota-ics-fails-25-due-bootstrap.html#post1889473
I think the same issue holds true for the JB update.

Well I keep having to download the update because everytime it fails to install it says I have an update once my phone reboots. OK, if safe strap is the one with the little figure that pops up when you boot up the phone then I have that. If not then I have boot strap. Isn't safe strap the touch screen one?

Back
Top Bottom