• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help JB Maintenance Release update 3.16.651.3 7ORD (Jan. 31)

What software upgrade came a week ago?

My phone just updated to 3.16.651 and now it will no longer sync with outlook. I am probably behind all you folks, since I just wait until things get pushed out to me and I do not go looking for the early releases. I'm an old fart and in my life I have picked up to many arrows, by being in the front lines - LOL, so now I wait awhile until things settle down a little.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of update that is needed for sync manager since my phone is not recognized by the sync manager program anymore. I do not use media sync, but only the original sync that woked with outlook. I do not understand why HTC cannot have only one sync program. Also I am trying to sync only to backup my contacts and calendar. Nothing more.

Upvote 0
( swear I went through this 5 times to shorten it, sorry it's still long )

I upgraded to the Evo4G LTE from the regular Evo 4G about two weeks ago. And few days ago I got a Software Update in the notification bar, and assumed it was something I should do.
After the update, my texting apps have been jacked up. (Handcent and the regular text app that comes on the phone)

• Error/Fail notice on texts that DO actually go though, and vice versa.
  • When sending longer texts, only the first portion is going through.
  • The microphone to voice text is missing in Handcent.
  • And I'm receiving texts from "8737" with subject that looks like code or something? This is a portion of one ://:1563:1365320313704:CW3:C:uabFpXfuilvABNbUqOA7Mw==
  • Not sure if this is an "issue" or not, but the PowerSaver is permanently showing in my notification bar, regardless if it's on/off. And it wasn't there before the update.
I've been to 6 or 7 diff forum sites, but all I read about is rooting and things I don't understand or know how to do. I know videos and step by step tutorials on how to root, but scared if something goes wrong, or if it needs additional things done...I won't even know, much-less know how to do them.
dontknow.gif

So my question is, if I don't know how to root my phone is there another way to fix this issue? Or should I exchange and get a new Evo Lte, and NEVER do a software update again? I've considered going back to a og evo just because of the camera issues, which I had even before I did the update. (working that in another thread, but so far no luck)
Wondering if maybe the Evo Lte is only for you :adore: smart Tech Gods?

I'm so incredibly frustrated, I need someone to tell me what to do. ANY help would be soooo greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to send a little $ for help. (if that's ok to do) And if it would be easier to talk on IM or something, send me a PM.
Thanks
emily

Upvote 0
Ok, so here's the thing about Android: it works using caches.

Just like your browser.

There's a cache just for Android, and a bunch of little caches for each app.

And you may be familiar with your browser getting all wonky - who knows why, an update, a visit to some goofy sites, whatever - and then you clear your browser cache and suddenly everything is back to tip-top shape?

Same thing hits all of the time in Android - every make and model and every software version because cache use is fundamental to Android.

So - step one is clearing out those caches.

When you're not rooted (which is a fancy way of saying that you're getting the exact same access as admin on your PC) the only way to do that is with a factory data reset.

And if you want to root, you're going to face a factory data reset.

What the factory data reset does - clears out your settings, your apps - and the caches. (With root, you can later just do cache clears only, unrooted you can't.)

So - the secret is to save as much as you can via backup, do the reset, then restore.

Here's how -

First, backup your storage to your PC - internal sd, external sd card if you have one. Drag and drop is fine. Nothing should be hurt on your card(s) doing a reset - but never say never.

Next, backup your apps+data. I used to simply recommend MyBackup Pro, but lately, I've heard complaints on that. So give Carbon a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

You'll have to add stuff to your PC to make it work since you're not rooted.

Next, backup any texts you care about -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

Finally - and this is crucial - go to your gmail account on the web and confirm that your contacts are all there as expected. (If you only do Facebook contacts or something, don't sweat that so much.) If you have any of your contacts set to store on Phone (as viewed from People on the phone), export your contacts to a vcf file as your backup.

Now, go into phone settings, usually Storage (I'm not near my phone), and perform the Factory data reset (don't format or erase your sd card).

Restore backups, redo settings and accounts.

Without root, you can't back up everything.

Having a backup/restore that you can trust is just good phone sense. Someday, and I hope not, you could drop or lose your phone. Having a good strategy on this is your friend.

I know for a certain fact that several, if not all, of your problems are being caused by one or more Android caches being tangled and dirty. I guarantee it.

And this could have hit you on any Android at any time. (Don't ask me why they don't run a cache-cleaning procedure as part of their standard update. It's only two additional commands in the update, and each update contains hundreds of commands. I've been complaining to the makers and carriers on this since 2010, none of them will listen. It's almost below the idiot level that they do this to us.)

Anyway - that's the story and the glory, give it a spin.

If you want to root, meet me in our root forum, ask how - everyone will be happy to help, we love converting people to the side of truth and justice. Plus, having already done a good backup, you'll be ahead of the game.

Rooting's not required and it's not for everyone but it is pretty cool.

And by the way - let's get that camera problem sorted before you try rooting.

If you have funky camera hardware, don't bother to root, nothing there can fix funky hardware.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
You are my favorite person in the world right now! I'm sooo not afraid of rooting anymore.
And I'm not too concerned with backing up everything right now, just because I wasn't able to move everything over from my old phone to this one yet anyway. Before I activated my new phone, I went through my og evo, and did a sort of "backup" but not like you described, I did everything on the phone itself . I went to settings and apps, and moved stuff like my texts, contacts & pics to the SD card. There really wasn't anything else I needed. I put the SD card into the new LTE evo, and my pics are there. But when I was activating the phone, I guess I chose Facebook for contacts because I have those, but I'm missing others like a few clients. I downloaded ES File Explorer, and I think my texts and contacts are there, but I don't know how to make them actually show up on my phone. But I wasn't going to even worry about that until I got the other stuff figured out.

SO - I'm going to finish working on the camera thing, and then go to the root forum.

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE with the latest OTA update on Sprint, and I started having this issue recently after the update. Every now and then, the phone will show an incoming call, it'll vibrate, but it will not play the stock ringtone. I did a factory reset, wiped cache etc. and it's still happening seemingly at random. I'm guessing it's either a bug with the latest Sense version, or some app is causing problems. If anyone figured out a permanent fix, please let me know!

mhajii210

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE with the latest OTA update on Sprint, and I started having this issue recently after the update. Every now and then, the phone will show an incoming call, it'll vibrate, but it will not play the stock ringtone. I did a factory reset, wiped cache etc. and it's still happening seemingly at random. I'm guessing it's either a bug with the latest Sense version, or some app is causing problems. If anyone figured out a permanent fix, please let me know!

mhajii210

This is probably a stupid question, but is your ringtone volume turned up?

Upvote 0

mhajii210

so sometimes it rings and sometimes it does not? no sound when it does not? weird that it does this after a factory reset. have you tried other ringtones?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the slow reply! Please see my post here [community.sprint.com/baw/message/562984] for details. I discovered there's a software bug with the latest OTA update, and I reported it to HTC. After this OTA update, I decided to root my phone, and I discovered that the 3.15.651.16 HTC Jelly Bean version does not have this ringtone volume changing bug! Please see my link for details on how to reproduce this bug if you're interested. Basically I unchecked Pocket Mode and Quiet ring on pickup to correct the issue. Thanks guys!

mhajii210

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones