• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Received The New Nexus S On AT&T

I got my Nexus S (AT&T band) from Negri. The sim card slot is defective and I have been in contact with Samsung. This is not a US phone and I am struggling with them to get warranty service. Negri said I could send it back to them for repair, but the time frame is 6-12 weeks for repair. In short, this has no US warranty that Samsung will recognize. Additionally, if you try to register it at the Samsung site, you can

Upvote 0
I have been talking to Samsung every day for a week now. They tell me that by tomorrow my phone will be in their system and if so I can send it to them for warranty repair. I absolutely have no faith in Samsung as their story changes with every person I speak with, but without their warranty service I am sol.

Please keep us or me updated. Kinda figured this since there is no mention of this phone on the US nexus sight and it's missing from Best Buy. Judging by your experience this is the Canadian version sold at Negri just like all the other websites that list it.

Upvote 0
Just spoke with Samsung again and their final determination is that the phone was never intended for sale in the US by Samsung, hence, they will not provide any warranty service or service out of warranty. Fail.:mad:

I'm sorry to hear that. Was interested in purchasing the phone from Negri. This however is a deal breaker for me. I need more than a 25 day return policy on a $600 dollar device to win me over.

Upvote 0
Newegg.com - Samsung Nexus S White 3G Unlocked Cell Phone wil this work on att 3g?? and its cheaper than negri

So I was the one who bought this. At least when I bought it it instantly went out of stock. Will be here tomorrow.

I have an Atrix now...will sell if I like the Nexus S. I am worried about battery life though. I have two genuine Motorola batteries for my Atrix and this thing is a beast.

Want to go Nexus because I miss pure google...had a N1 for some time and recently sold to get the Atrix.

I'll let you guys know if the white NS from newegg is legit. I assume it has a warrant, right?

Upvote 0
Greetings,

I am new to smart phones all together. I currently have (don't laugh) a RAZR on an AT&T family plan. The plan is strictly a calling plan (no text or data). I think it's $69 + $10 for each addtnl phone.

I ordered the Nexus S from Negri (i9020A) and it should be here soon. What exactly can I expect when I put the RAZR SIM in the Nexus S? I don't need data, but will probably want to add a texting plan (the cheapest one)...I mainly got the phone so that I can install Whisper Systems WhisperCore software to protect the data on the phone. Just looking for info on what extra charges I may incur from using this phone. Thank you!

P

Upvote 0
Greetings,

I am new to smart phones all together. I currently have (don't laugh) a RAZR on an AT&T family plan. The plan is strictly a calling plan (no text or data). I think it's $69 + $10 for each addtnl phone.

I ordered the Nexus S from Negri (i9020A) and it should be here soon. What exactly can I expect when I put the RAZR SIM in the Nexus S? I don't need data, but will probably want to add a texting plan (the cheapest one)...I mainly got the phone so that I can install Whisper Systems WhisperCore software to protect the data on the phone. Just looking for info on what extra charges I may incur from using this phone. Thank you!

P

I am certain there are others on this board who can better answer your questions than I can; however, I can say that there is a good chance that AT&T will add a data plan to your phone automatically once you start using your smartphone as they don't allow smartphones in their system to operate without a data plan (and the Nexus S is in their systems from what I've heard).

Upvote 0
Greetings,

P
AT&T is like most major (read Verizon, etc) carriers, in that it has automated software that scans their lines 24/7 for all phones operating on their system.

It compares the unique identifier number (IMEI) from your phone with it's database of smartphones from all manufacturers. Once that's done and your phone is identified, they send you a text explaining they will be adding a data plan on because it's required.

That's what happens now since so many people cheated the system in the past.

Here is my suggestion.

1) The moment you get your phone unboxed, call AT&T, explain you are going to begin using it on your line, and give them the IMEI or other numbers they may ask for.

They are clearly listed on the label of the box which is far easier than finding them on a phone you are unfamiliar with.

2) Their least expensive data plan is $15 per month, so be prepared to ad that to your plan.

3) The reason I'm suggesting you do this immediately, is that once they have your IMEI they will have the AT&T cellular system push some updates to your phone which will insure the best voice clarity and connectivity.

Since you cannot avoid this, it is better to tell them up front, than to wait for the system to "discover you've changed phones on your line".

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

(by the way I really like my Nexus S :) )

Upvote 0
any updates on an official att launch? I found one online for $548 shipped, which is the cheapest so far. But still rather buy it subsidized if its coming out soon. Though I don't expect it come out soon as the infuse was just released yesterday.
I'm a long time AT&T customer with a very good relationship with the store manager of my local AT&T. Unofficially, they are expecting the SGS II and the Nexus S to come into their inventory at about the same time. I cant' really share more than that at this time, other than to say it could be very soon.

AT&T is really pushing hard to become a leader with Android phones, to catch up to Verizon (who I also have an account with) and therefore the faster AT&T pushes the new phones out to the customers the happier everyone will be.

If I were you I would wait patiently (I wish I could have) since I paid big bucks to get both my Nexus S and my SGS II in advance. It's a good thing I have four lines with AT&T or I wouldn't be able to use these phones concurrently.

I can tell you in no uncertain terms you are really going to like this phone.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
For all that are thinking about this phone, I have to say it is well worth the money and if you Google Coupons for Negri you may come up with a $35.00 off coupon. I used it last thursday and it covered all but the five dollars of the over night shipping.I understand the apprehension of getting it from Negri but there are very few people that have it and if you really want a warranty you could always get a square trade warranty!!!! I got one and it is for two years but it cost me $124.00 but it has Accidental Damage from Handling Protection. It maybe expensive but atleast I know it is covered for two years.

Upvote 0
AT&T is like most major (read Verizon, etc) carriers, in that it has automated software that scans their lines 24/7 for all phones operating on their system.

It compares the unique identifier number (IMEI) from your phone with it's database of smartphones from all manufacturers. Once that's done and your phone is identified, they send you a text explaining they will be adding a data plan on because it's required.

That's what happens now since so many people cheated the system in the past.

Here is my suggestion.

1) The moment you get your phone unboxed, call AT&T, explain you are going to begin using it on your line, and give them the IMEI or other numbers they may ask for.

They are clearly listed on the label of the box which is far easier than finding them on a phone you are unfamiliar with.

2) Their least expensive data plan is $15 per month, so be prepared to ad that to your plan.

3) The reason I'm suggesting you do this immediately, is that once they have your IMEI they will have the AT&T cellular system push some updates to your phone which will insure the best voice clarity and connectivity.

Since you cannot avoid this, it is better to tell them up front, than to wait for the system to "discover you've changed phones on your line".

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

(by the way I really like my Nexus S :) )

This is silly advice.

Just put your sim in and go about your business. There is no reason to talk to at&t about it at all.

Don't listen to this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones