• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K-9 Email

The gray messages are ones that haven't completely downloaded. You can select them and download them, or you can go to the same place you set the Poll Frequency and change the default for the kB/email you wish to download.

The preferences in K-9 are a bit confusing. Though there are three separate preference menus (Global, Account and Folder), the Folder options aren't used frequently. It pays to check both the Global and Account preferences when you wish to change some behavior.

The gray messages are ones that haven't completely downloaded. You can select them and download them, or you can go to the same place you set the Poll Frequency and change the default for the kB/email you wish to download.

The preferences in K-9 are a bit confusing. Though there are three separate preference menus (Global, Account and Folder), the Folder options aren't used frequently. It pays to check both the Global and Account preferences when you wish to change some behavior.

Thanks again:p

Hello all - on 2.2 the messaging apps seem ok to me. I downloaded K9 because I thought I was having a problem with the stock apps, but it turned out that I needed to change the smtp server.

So now that I have both, I am struggling to figure out why K9 is better. Does anyone have a punch list of what is better?

BTW, for Verizon wireless customers using optimum online in the North East US, changing smtp from 25 to 587 fixed my problem for outgoing mail.

R

Since the most recent update, version 3.404, I get almost all of my emails without any text. When I open the email, I can see who it's from and the subject line but it says, 'no text.' I can't push anything to get the message to download or anything. I don't believe I changed any settings on my phone or on my mail server. Thoughts? Thanks!

It's really too bad that there is not good centralized help on this app. I have two questions:

1. It seems that my reply in a quoted message is on the bottom, which forces the recipient to scroll down which is a pain (some have thought that there was no reply!). Any fixes?

2. New mail notification ringtone (as opposed to vibrate) rings when polling takes place regardless of whether in fact there is a new message. Thoughts?

I have a Captivate running 2.1

Many thanks

Jay

It's really too bad that there is not good centralized help on this app. I have two questions:

1. It seems that my reply in a quoted message is on the bottom, which forces the recipient to scroll down which is a pain (some have thought that there was no reply!). Any fixes?

2. New mail notification ringtone (as opposed to vibrate) rings when polling takes place regardless of whether in fact there is a new message. Thoughts?

I have a Captivate running 2.1

Many thanks

Jay

1). Settings->Account Settings->Replay after quoted text.

2). Mine does not do this, you might try Settings->Account Settings->Notifications->Sync Notifications (turn these off). This should get rid of the ringtone, also, of course, the status bar polling notification.

For $17.99 I hope it runs better than perfect...

K-9 would not get my pop3 with any regularity.
Sometimes it took an hour, other times a day.

Maildroid and my pop3 just worked - you can use the ad based free version but I was SO impressed that I felt supporting the dev was a fair exchange.

1). Settings->Account Settings->Replay after quoted text.

2). Mine does not do this, you might try Settings->Account Settings->Notifications->Sync Notifications (turn these off). This should get rid of the ringtone, also, of course, the status bar polling notification.

#1 worked
#2 Synch notifications was off. Maybe my only option is to turn off the New Mail Rigtones (I still have Vibrate which seems to work properly). Pity

#1 worked
#2 Synch notifications was off. Maybe my only option is to turn off the New Mail Rigtones (I still have Vibrate which seems to work properly). Pity

Jay,

I would try an uninstall/ reboot/ reinstall for number 2. Of course, you will have to reconfigure all your accounts.

Hope that works for you...

Just got a HTC Desire and downloaded K-9 - is there any way you can remove the Unified Inbox and All messages sections on the start page and just leave the account folders?

TIA

Thank you for the feedback.

Unchecking that box only appears to stop the unified box coming up as the front page when the app is opened. I still get the Unified Inbox and All Messages sections plus my two test accounts as folders.

Anyone able to successfully backup their data? So when restoring k-9 we don't have to reset up our email accounts? I tried copying com.fsck from /data/data

Anyone able to successfully backup their data? So when restoring k-9 we don't have to reset up our email accounts? I tried copying com.fsck from /data/data

I've used Titanium to back up when I've flashed a ROM & haven't had to reload the a\c's.

I started off with a HTC Wildfire but after a week was so blown away by Android I bought a Desire. On The Wildfire I had installed the paid for MyBackupPro with everything backed up to my SD card. I simply reloaded MBP on the Desire and restored all the apps from the SD card.

I've been using K9 for about a year with no problems. T mobile upgraded the operating system on my ' MyTouch' and since then I have to manually poll for new mail. As far as I can tell, none of my setting in K9 have changed, it's still set to poll every 15 minutes k however it's not receiving my new mail until I manually tell it to do so. Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback.

Unchecking that box only appears to stop the unified box coming up as the front page when the app is opened. I still get the Unified Inbox and All Messages sections plus my two test accounts as folders.

I don't know how to get rid of it entirely... I actually would want that as an option...

I just posted some of this elsewhere. I just got my Samsung i500 Galaxy S earlier this week. This is my 1st droid. Coming from the iPhone I sure had some lessons to learn. One of them was that the email program on the phone was, how can I say this nicely . . . uh lousy? As mentioned, my pop 3 account would not alert me no matter what. Then a friend found out about K-9. Had it not been for K-9, I'd have my iPhone back. Took some time to work the kinks, but now it's flawless for me.

1st thing I did was remove the email accounts from the old email program by pressing on each account and deleting. My biggest problem was everytime I set fetching to 5 minutes on K-9, it never retrieved my email. When I went back and looked at fetching time, it reverted back to never each time. Finally I figured out once I set the time limit, I had to back out of it, not just press home. That secured it and it's worked perfectly every since. I just moved it to 10 minutes to save some battery and it's fine. I have my gmail and pop 3 working together and it's made me love this phone quite a bit.

hi... i just installed K9... I have 2 accounts...gmail works fine but i dont get a notification when i get a mail in yahoo......
require help

i do get it if i refresh it....but that means i'll have to poll it regularly right?.....
in gmail i get it automatically without polling.....
i dont want to poll yahoo...i think it consumes a lot of battery...any alternatives please?

Have you checked the notification and polling settings -for that specific account-? K9 doesn't have the most user-friendly setups for this stuff.

Also, if you set up a color for the notification light that your phone doesn't support you may get no light at all, but you didn't specify what kinds of notifications you were expecting to receive.

Back
Top Bottom