• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep my Droid or get X

HookEmHorns*UT*

Well-Known Member
Should i utilize my 30 day and get the X or root this one and overclock. I really like the Droid. I came from Eris to the Droid and i love it but will it be worth getting the X or not. I'm torn.:eek::confused::(
 
It doesnt look like the Droid X is going to ship with 2.2

For me that means that Motoblur or Ninjablur or shadowblur or whatever other blur comes on the phone is going to be very slow to be updated. Even more so than the droid. That would be a major concern for me. Enough that I wouldnt buy the phone if I was up for renewal Im not sure.
 
I would consider it if I was up for renewal but I'm not and I'm totally happy with my Droid. I love my rooted Droid!
 
It doesnt look like the Droid X is going to ship with 2.2

For me that means that Motoblur or Ninjablur or shadowblur or whatever other blur comes on the phone is going to be very slow to be updated. Even more so than the droid. That would be a major concern for me. Enough that I wouldnt buy the phone if I was up for renewal Im not sure.

Why does that sound familiar, Oh wait the Eris suffers from the same thing. Hookem, if I was you I would go ahead and root and overclock your droid. A rooted and overclocked droid is by far the best performing phone out right now with the most options ROM wise. Now if the Droid X didn't have blur that would make it a much more difficult choice. I don't really need the keyboard, I mainly use swype.
 
the Droid x looks sexy.. id have to hold it in the store and feel the device. I'm quite happy with my Droid though so it would have to be pretty kick ass



Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
 
Why does that sound familiar, Oh wait the Eris suffers from the same thing. Hookem, if I was you I would go ahead and root and overclock your droid. A rooted and overclocked droid is by far the best performing phone out right now with the most options ROM wise. Now if the Droid X didn't have blur that would make it a much more difficult choice. I don't really need the keyboard, I mainly use swype.

This is very good advice. My Droid is absolutely stellar in every respect - rooted and running Pete and Fab's awesome NexBeast rom with LauncherPro. It really doesn't get any better than that. For me anyway, any so called *upgrade* would be a downgrade performance-wise. So I agree, keep the Droid and let the "All Things Root" section become your best friend.
 
For me, I'm going to hold off and see how long it takes the X to get 2.2 (if it doesn't ship with it) versus how long it took the original Droid to get 2.1. Also, I won't be leaving the Droid for the X until the X is rooted, and even then it's still questionable. This is easily the best phone I've ever owned, and I really don't want to get rid of it, but I work in an industry (environmental remediation) where there's consistently a lot of dirt and dust or really wet conditions, and I think I'd be further ahead with a single-piece phone, as I clean the inside faces of my Droid daily and it still is beginning to accumulate grit in the tracks where it slides.

In the long run, it's really up to you - see how much you like your Droid after 20 days or so and then make a more informed decision about what you think you'd like to do. I know the SholesMod team disbanded, but there should still be a ROM floating around out there that will let you go back to stock 2.01 (and subsequently update to 2.1). I know I have one saved on my phone just in case anything happens to it that would require a return to Verizon.
 
I honestly don't see any reason to upgrade until LTE. I don't think any major advancements are going to come up between now and then. You might get a bigger screen, better camera, or slightly faster processor, but really nothing major. 3.7 is a great size, 5.0 MP is pretty darn good for a camera phone still, and I'm clocked at 1.2 ghz right now. I really don't think there is a point in using an upgrade if LTE will be out in 12 mo and then you are stuck waiting 24 for a larger upgrade.
 
I honestly don't see any reason to upgrade until LTE. I don't think any major advancements are going to come up between now and then. You might get a bigger screen, better camera, or slightly faster processor, but really nothing major. 3.7 is a great size, 5.0 MP is pretty darn good for a camera phone still, and I'm clocked at 1.2 ghz right now. I really don't think there is a point in using an upgrade if LTE will be out in 12 mo and then you are stuck waiting 24 for a larger upgrade.

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I love my droid, esp since I've got it rooted and running at 800.. But, I have no problem waiting till then with it! I'm not even looking at my upgrade date till LTE comes out.
 
Maybe its just me, but that thing looks way too big. I mean its approaching tablet computer size. I thought the EVO was big... the X is even bigger. Hope you guys have extra large pockets to carry it around in. ;-)
 
Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I love my droid, esp since I've got it rooted and running at 800.. But, I have no problem waiting till then with it! I'm not even looking at my upgrade date till LTE comes out.

This. I was severely considering getting the X, but I am gonna wait until LTE rolls out later this year.
 
Poll fail.

Unless you don't mind being without a smart phone (unless you have some backup phone) for at least a month or so, I would just keep the Droid. They still haven't announced the Droid X yet so there's no hard launch date yet. I'd at least wait until they announce it to decide.

If anything, just keep the Droid and sell it toward a Droid X (or Droid 2 like I'm prolly going to do). I don't think you'd lose out on too much doing that, esp if you keep it in good condition.
 
VZW, Google, Motorola, and Adobe are having an event on the 23rd. Most likely all the details on the X will be spilled on Wednesday (and possibly the Droid 2 as well).

I'm gonna get the X, but I'll keep my Droid as well. Hoping the X gets rooted fast, but the fact that it's putting up overclocked Droid 2.2 numbers while running 2.1 is pretty awesome, and I likes me some next gen 45nm OMAPs.

Also, while I have no qualms with the Droid's processor speed or GPU, 256MB of RAM is really starting to tick me off.

So, if you can wait until the 23rd, you should. You'll have more info then to make a better decision.
 
Return the Droid, get an Incredible and if the X comes out before the 30 days, return it and get the X.

You are only allowed one return per contract period, they can deny your second return and it can only be done with store manager approval.
 
Back
Top Bottom