• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kindle/nexus7?

hydeyoshi

Lurker
Dec 6, 2013
my mom went and got my daughter a kindle hd 32gb 8.9 for Christmas after i told her that i wanted to get her a nexus 7.she wont return it.i know my daughter said she wanted 1 because she use somebodys kindle before but i want to still get it for her for because it has more stuff that she uses like instagram,rear camera and it would always get the latest updates.just needed some opinions on should i still get it or just get 16gb instead or dont buy because it makes no sense for her to have 2 tablets.thanks in advance.

As someone's child, I wouldn't argue with my mother about that. As the father of a daughter, in your position I'd get her a Nexus. If you can't nicely convince your mother to change her mind, about the only solution I can see is to hide the Kindle until you can sell it, and buy her a Nexus (or other tablet - I won't get into tablet wars here).

There's a thread on another forum about buying someone a cellphone as a Christmas gift. The consensus would appear to be "don't". A gift card for a little more than the price of what you want to buy plus tax (for a case, etc.) is a nice gift - a phone that's almost the one you were hoping for, but isn't quite, isn't a good gift. Maybe you can convince your mother to do that. And "oops, she decided to buy a Nexus instead".

I don't think there's a really good solution for your dilemma, unless there are some people posting here who are more intelligent than I am.

Upvote 0
If you are keeping the kindle then no don't get the Nexus 7. Obviously with camera, regular updates and access to the play store the Nexus 7 would have been a better choice but whats done is done. :p

Kindle tablet i'm sure has front facing camera so that's better than nothing.

Upvote 0
I can't see getting both--they're too similar even though different. I own a first generation Nexus 7, but the one advantage of the Kindle I wish I had is that it can store Amazon videos on the device without going through a lot of hoops. That though is mainly appealing during airplane trips, so perhaps not a consideration for a young girl.

Upvote 0
Kindle tablet i'm sure has front facing camera so that's better than nothing.

I'd actually prefer no cameras on a tablet.

I was attending a presentation using the Adobe Connect software, and it really bothered me that the camera was present, even though it purportedly wasn't being used. Since I would never take a picture with a tablet, and didn't find facial recognition that useful, I have no use for a camera. It's just a privacy concern.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones